• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will CHA release Dampier at some point?

sturt

• Premium Member

The chatter has calmed down, but it's speculated that, failing a trade, the Bobcats will eventually cut Dampier.

Do you perceive him as the kind of player that ASG/Sund would consider worth lux tax money? Is he a difference maker for us? More so than Shaq would be?

The chatter has calmed down, but it's speculated that, failing a trade, the Bobcats will eventually cut Dampier.

Do you perceive him as the kind of player that ASG/Sund would consider worth lux tax money? Is he a difference maker for us? More so than Shaq would be?

Definitely not a luxury tax guy. He would be a difference maker in the regular season perhaps. Shaq, I think, would be more of a difference maker in the playoffs. Regardless of their actual contributions on the court I think Shaq adds the most value to the team in ticket and merchandise sales.

It's basically six of one and a half a dozen of the other when looking at these two. Neither player is mobile enough at this point to play big minutes on a contending team. They are 15-20 minute per game players max, and I wouldn't give either much more than the league minimum. Dampier's decline hasn't been as sharp as Shaq's, but he also wasn't the player Shaq was when the two players were at their peak. The one thing Dampier would bring over Shaq is a better locker room presence. Dampier isn't going to stir up trouble in the locker room and create dissention the way Shaq will.

It would probably be easier for me to post a list of players that I feel would be worth paying the luxury tax to get, and none of them would be signed with the MLE.