• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC article about Steve Belkin

Blunt91

Celtics South?

Boston-based Hawks owner ready to start hanging banners

By MICHAEL LEE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Boston -- The Boston entrepreneur, dressed in a navy suit, sneaks through a small crowd forming in his spacious suburban Weston, Mass., home and shows a visitor one of favorite escapes: a squash/basketball court in his basement, complete with a hoop and Spalding resting in the corner.

Steve Belkin, former captain of his high school basketball team and the NBA's newest owner-to-be, said he shoots around on this court as often as he can.

"I don't move as well as I used to," Belkin, 56, said with a laugh. "My shots are still pretty good."

That's why Belkin, the largest single investor in the eight-headed ownership team which purchased the Hawks, Thrashers and operating rights to Philips Arena last week, had no trouble challenging Jason Terry to a game of H-O-R-S-E a day after the announced purchase. He finally got back home Thursday after completing the deal -- an experience he described as "exam period, where you're pulling all nighters" --- but Belkin wasn't here to rest.

On this night, Belkin and his wife Joan, are hosting a fund-raising event for one of the many grass roots charity organizations they support in town.

More than 100 people were invited, but before he schmoozed with his guests, the founder of highly successful Trans National Group took time to chat about his latest business venture --- professional sports owner, a title he has chased for 20 years.

"It just illustrates to me, don't give up on your dreams," Belkin said, taking in the view of the New England woods in his backyard.

He came this close to owning the Boston Celtics in 1983, actually signing an agreement to buy the team before some negative publicity surrounding one of his employees created a stench that stripped the joy from his endeavor.

He came real close to getting the Charlotte expansion franchise last year, joining one of the few teams with NBA legend Larry Bird that didn't win.

Losing out to BET founder and billionaire Robert Johnson last December hurt Belkin so deeply that he nearly gave up his quest to join that special fraternity known as the NBA board of governors.

"It was one of the low points of my life, " Belkin said. " I had to ask, 'How much do I really want this? Is this not how it was supposed to be? Is this a message that I should shift my dream?' I came to the conclusion. No."

Belkin persisted. He flirted some with the Milwaukee Bucks, and he contacted AOL Time Warner shortly after the company mentioned that it would be selling some its "non-core assets" last February. Belkin studied the books and was interested in making a move before David McDavid entered in exclusive negotiations to buy the teams and the arena. The thought of buying the Hawks didn't enter his mind again until he received a phone call about three weeks ago.

And, 10 months after his low, comes "this incredible high point," he said.

It wasn't the Celtics, the dream team he has tried to purchase several times over the years. Doesn't matter. He's in now, and he got congratulatory calls from friends Bird, Red Auerbach and Dave Cowens.

The Cornell and Harvard Business School grad has been a season ticket holder with the Celtics since 1978 and has seen three of the Celtics record 16 championship banners hoisted in Boston Garden. The Hawks haven't won a championship in 35 years -- when the team was in St. Louis -- and haven't been relevant this millennium. Belkin said his goal is bring some of that ol' Celtic magic down south.

"We are committed to creating a dynasty, and a championship caliber team," Belkin said. "I don't know how long it's going to take, but that's what we're going to plan for. It's going to take a lot of work, but we're committed to do a lot of work. We [Atlanta Spirit LLC] ask people to be patient. We're going to work really hard. And I know when I work really hard, I produce success. I'm very confident that we'll produce a championship caliber team.

"Having started a lot of businesses, I really feel strongly that a business takes on the culture of the ownership and the leadership," he said.

"What can I do to create an environment that allows you to play the best you possibly can. That was the Celtics philosophy. It's the philosophy I apply to my business. If [your employees] don't feel you care for them, they won't put in that extra effort. We'll start to see a difference. The attitude and culture will change."

Business partner Jan Volk, former president of the Celtics, will oversee day-to-day operations locally for Belkin, but Belkin said he plans to buy a condo or a home and spend about three days a week in Atlanta. Now, he is simply looking to find something to bring the feel of Atlanta to his home here.

"You know what I need to do," he says, walking away from his indoor court. "I need to get a big Atlanta Hawks banner to put on that wall, don't you think?"

The championship banner, he hopes, will come later.