• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: Drew says Teague ‘has got to earn' Bibby's spot

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers
Teague will have to go all out for starting gig.

Teague will have to go all out for gig.

You might have noticed Bob Bender stood in for Bibby during Camp Drew and figured that means Bibby, not Teague, heads into 2010-11 as the starting point guard.

And you’d be right.

When Hawks camp opens on Sept. 28, Bibby will be the incumbent at point guard. Rook’ is going to have to take the job from him.

“He’s got to earn that,” L.D. said. “It’s not just going to be handed to him. If he proves it, he has an opportunity. I will come back with the starting lineup we’ve had in the past. Unless somebody clearly, clearly beats somebody out, [then] that’s something I would have to take a look at. But I am going with the normal guys [to start].”

That’s not surprising since Hawks coaches spent much of Summer League saying they’d like to see Teague be more assertive. Plus, Teague has yet to do anything to show that he deserves the job. There’s a chicken/egg element to it–did he never really get the chance to prove he’s ready to be lead dog, …

View the full article
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Good to see LD taking a common sense approach with this thing. Always felt Woody made a huge mistake by starting Marvin ahead of Chilz. Marvin never had to earn jack and that could be the reason he has zero competitive fire today. If young buck wants to be the man then he should have to beat the man.

Woooooo!!!

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 3

This is a good thing. I don't think Teague should come out the gates starting anyway. Bibby is still our PG at the moment, and if Teague wants to take that spot he needs to earn it. And he will actually have a chance to earn it because LD will give him playing time.

Good to see LD taking a common sense approach with this thing. Always felt Woody made a huge mistake by starting Marvin ahead of Chilz. Marvin never had to earn jack and that could be the reason he has zero competitive fire today. If young buck wants to be the man then he should have to beat the man.

Woooooo!!!

bibbywoo.jpg

Edited by sultanofatl

I'm glad to see at least the spirit of competition but face it we've gone as far as we're ever going to go with Bibby. Unless Teague is in the Acie Law category of guys who flat out can't play, he needs to be in there one way or another.

At this point, the only thing Teague has done to separate himself from Acie is not be injury-prone. Outside of that, I don't know why people get so excited about someone with very similar per 36 numbers as Acie Law. Teague does things better than Acie, but not by much and who in the NBA did not do things better than Acie?

This article sounds more like a motivation for Bibby, that people already think he is done.

I somewhat figured bibby would start in the beginning of the season but i am convinced that if teague gets his opportunity to play with the starters like LD say he will then he will eventually take bibby's starting spot. hell imma be bold and say if teague does his thing for the first 15-20 games and is making some type of production on the court and being effective, he will take bibby's starting spot within the first 15-25 games or so. i understand bibby is a vet but he's also a vet that cant play defense! teague to me is far better at defending though his shot isnt as good as bibbs but i do think teague can shoot and will def get better at it without doubt! just takes a bit more confidence for teague.

The difference in those situations is Childress was only 3 years older than Marvin. Both had lots of room to grow. Bibby is 10 years older than Teague. Bibby isn't getting better while Teague still could.

At this point, the only thing Teague has done to separate himself from Acie is not be injury-prone. Outside of that, I don't know why people get so excited about someone with very similar per 36 numbers as Acie Law. Teague does things better than Acie, but not by much and who in the NBA did not do things better than Acie?

This article sounds more like a motivation for Bibby, that people already think he is done.

The difference is Teague has athletic upside. He only played two years of college ball to Law's four and is fast as crap while Law was slow. Look at Law v. Rondo and they're practically the same players offensively but Rondo had a nice edge in rebounds, assists, and steals, demonstrating a major edge in athleticism, just like Teague.