• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ATL: City of Winning Seasons?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Is it fair to state that we are amidst an unprecedented period in Atlanta’s characteristically gloomy pro sports history? As the Braves approach their second consecutive season above 81 victories, the Thrashers of 2008-2009 represent the last time one of the four major pro teams finished below .500 to end their season. I don’t think we’ve ever experienced a run like this.

Since April 2009, the Hawks have turned in back-to-back winning seasons (47-35; 53-29), the Braves made a September wild card run and finished 86-76, the Falcons got over their longtime hex and went 9-7, and even the Thrashers stayed afloat this season after dumping their franchise player (35-34-13). The Braves’ likely finish this year will make it six straight performances above .500 from our pro teams, which I think is the first time ever.

That last time the teams in each of the four major sports all finished above .500 in consecutive efforts was in 1980. Leeman Bennett’s Falcons finished off the year at 12-4, preceded by the Braves (81-80, fully expected at the time to be the high-water mark for Bobby Cox’s managerial career), the Hawks (Hubie’s Central Division champs at 50-32), and the Flames (35-32-13 in their last season before voyaging on to Alberta). The Hawks, Falcons, and the strike-shortened Braves all declined below .500 in their next seasons.

Without hockey, in 1982 the Braves were division champs (89-73) while the strike-shortened Falcons (5-4) made the playoffs and the Hawks (42-40) crossed the .500 line. The Braves (88-74) and Hawks (43-39) followed up in 1983 with winning efforts, but the Falcons fell short (7-9), stopping the string at five.

In 1991, the Braves’ worst-to-first season (94-68) coincided with the Falcons’ tied-for-worst-to-playoffs season (10-6) and the Hawks’ back-to-the-playoffs campaign (43-39). The Hawks swooped to 38-44, however, in 1992.

Despite the Braves’ division titles and the Hawks’ perennial playoff appearances in the 1990s, the up-and-down Falcons kept Atlanta from enjoying a streak of winning seasons for two years in a row. Atlanta’s teams would again rise above .500 collectively in 1995, with the Hawks going 42-40, the World Series champs finishing 90-54, and June Jones’ Falcons making the playoffs at 9-7. After the Hawks (46-36) and Braves (96-66) upped their win totals in 1996, the Falcons flopped (3-13), stemming the winning-seasons run at five once more.

A similar deal in 1998 (Hawks 50-32; Braves record-high 106-56; Falcons’ Super Bowl Dirty Birds 14-2), with a run kept alive by the Hawks (31-19) and Braves (103-59) in 1999 before the Falcons’ collapse (5-11). Then, the upstart Thrashers would take six seasons to get into winning territory, in 2006, right on time for the Braves’ winning ways to end, the Falcons to begin their last slide into the abyss, and the Hawks to begin their crawl up from the NBA gutter.

So unless I’m missing something, six will be Atlanta’s record for winning seasons among its pro teams, and at least the Falcons have a good shot and keeping the streak going. Even ignoring the expansion Thrashers team, the Braves’ record would mark the first time we’ve had the Braves, Falcons, and Hawks offering up back-to-back winning seasons collectively.

Throw in the WNBA Dream (back-to-back winning seasons) for good measure and we’ve got, while not quite the City of Champions, perhaps the next best thing going?

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

Is it fair to state that we are amidst an unprecedented period in Atlanta’s characteristically gloomy pro sports history? As the Braves approach their second consecutive season above 81 victories, the Thrashers of 2008-2009 represent the last time one of the four major pro teams finished below .500 to end their season. I don’t think we’ve ever experienced a run like this.

Since April 2009, the Hawks have turned in back-to-back winning seasons (47-35; 53-29), the Braves made a September wild card run and finished 86-76, the Falcons got over their longtime hex and went 9-7, and even the Thrashers stayed afloat this season after dumping their franchise player (35-34-13). The Braves’ likely finish this year will make it six straight performances above .500 from our pro teams, which I think is the first time ever.

That last time the teams in each of the four major sports all finished above .500 in consecutive efforts was in 1980. Leeman Bennett’s Falcons finished off the year at 12-4, preceded by the Braves (81-80, fully expected at the time to be the high-water mark for Bobby Cox’s managerial career), the Hawks (Hubie’s Central Division champs at 50-32), and the Flames (35-32-13 in their last season before voyaging on to Alberta). The Hawks, Falcons, and the strike-shortened Braves all declined below .500 in their next seasons.

Without hockey, in 1982 the Braves were division champs (89-73) while the strike-shortened Falcons (5-4) made the playoffs and the Hawks (42-40) crossed the .500 line. The Braves (88-74) and Hawks (43-39) followed up in 1983 with winning efforts, but the Falcons fell short (7-9), stopping the string at five.

In 1991, the Braves’ worst-to-first season (94-68) coincided with the Falcons’ tied-for-worst-to-playoffs season (10-6) and the Hawks’ back-to-the-playoffs campaign (43-39). The Hawks swooped to 38-44, however, in 1992.

Despite the Braves’ division titles and the Hawks’ perennial playoff appearances in the 1990s, the up-and-down Falcons kept Atlanta from enjoying a streak of winning seasons for two years in a row. Atlanta’s teams would again rise above .500 collectively in 1995, with the Hawks going 42-40, the World Series champs finishing 90-54, and June Jones’ Falcons making the playoffs at 9-7. After the Hawks (46-36) and Braves (96-66) upped their win totals in 1996, the Falcons flopped (3-13), stemming the winning-seasons run at five once more.

A similar deal in 1998 (Hawks 50-32; Braves record-high 106-56; Falcons’ Super Bowl Dirty Birds 14-2), with a run kept alive by the Hawks (31-19) and Braves (103-59) in 1999 before the Falcons’ collapse (5-11). Then, the upstart Thrashers would take six seasons to get into winning territory, in 2006, right on time for the Braves’ winning ways to end, the Falcons to begin their last slide into the abyss, and the Hawks to begin their crawl up from the NBA gutter.

So unless I’m missing something, six will be Atlanta’s record for winning seasons among its pro teams, and at least the Falcons have a good shot and keeping the streak going. Even ignoring the expansion Thrashers team, the Braves’ record would mark the first time we’ve had the Braves, Falcons, and Hawks offering up back-to-back winning seasons collectively.

Throw in the WNBA Dream (back-to-back winning seasons) for good measure and we’ve got, while not quite the City of Champions, perhaps the next best thing going?

~lw3

This is an unusual period, mostly because the Falcons have strung 2 winning seasons together and are expected to have a third. I don't know if I agree that all of our teams have had winning records, though. The Thrashers were 35-34-13, but that third column isn't ties--it's overtime losses. So, technically, the Thrashers were 35-47. The reason OTL are in a column by themselves is that they contribute 1 point to the standings vs the 2 points for a win.

• Like 1

• Moderators

This is an unusual period, mostly because the Falcons have strung 2 winning seasons together and are expected to have a third. I don't know if I agree that all of our teams have had winning records, though. The Thrashers were 35-34-13, but that third column isn't ties--it's overtime losses. So, technically, the Thrashers were 35-47. The reason OTL are in a column by themselves is that they contribute 1 point to the standings vs the 2 points for a win.

I'm inclined to agree about the OTL thing, but the league treats them as if they nullify the winning percentage, since there's no more opportunities for 'ties'. In lieu of winning percentage, they now do "points percentage" (points amassed/points available). That avoids the oddity of the Bruins (39-30-13) and Canadiens (39-33-10) appearing to have "losing" seasons, or for a team like the Flyers (41-35-6) to be rewarded with a higher seed than the Bruins despite registering more regular-period losses. The OTLs offer some kind of reward for extra-time efforts that the old system didn't (a loss in overtime was worth no points, equal to a loss in regular time).

A "points percentage" above .500 (basically >82 points) is a winning season in the NHL's books. Although (in large part because of all the OTLs) I agree it sure didn't feel like one to fans.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/ATL/

~lw3