• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Strasburg requires Tommy John surgery

CBAreject

• Moderators

These guys with monster fastballs seem to have trouble staying healthy. There are exceptions for sure, but Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, Joel Zumaya...there are a litany of guys who looked phenomonal throwing 100+ and whose arms couldn't take it.

These guys with monster fastballs seem to have trouble staying healthy. There are exceptions for sure, but Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, Joel Zumaya...there are a litany of guys who looked phenomonal throwing 100+ and whose arms couldn't take it.

Yeah AHF - throwing a baseball in the 98-100mph range is something very few can do at all - much less over a long career.

I always said - when I was a youngster Jack Nicklaus was boomin out 260 yard drives, The fastest server in pro tennis was hitting it 110 mph, and Nolan Ryan was throwing a baseball upwards of 100 mph. Nowadays nearly every golfer is hitting drives well over 300 yards (high tech drivers, higher compression balls), the fastest serve in tennis is 140 mph+ (huge jumps in raquet technology), but it's still mighty rare to see a 100 mph fastball....it's just the pitcher and the ball...no tools.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Yeah AHF - throwing a baseball in the 98-100mph range is something very few can do at all - much less over a long career.

I always said - when I was a youngster Jack Nicklaus was boomin out 260 yard drives, The fastest server in pro tennis was hitting it 110 mph, and Nolan Ryan was throwing a baseball upwards of 100 mph. Nowadays nearly every golfer is hitting drives well over 300 yards (high tech drivers, higher compression balls), the fastest serve in tennis is 140 mph+ (huge jumps in raquet technology), but it's still mighty rare to see a 100 mph fastball....it's just the pitcher and the ball...no tools.

Agreed. Personally, I also think think that the technological advances in golf and especially tennis are detriments to the sport. Watching tennis is now boring due to the relative rarity of rallies compared to past years.