Mark Richt and UGA

Wurider05

Interesting little tid bit:

The last time UGA and Florida played when both teams were unranked was 1979. Dooley kept his job and interestingly enough, the next year he got Herschel Walker and won the National Title and 3 consecutive SEC Championships.......Dooley had to start a woman's track team in order to get Walker b/c Walker was set on going to the same school as his sister, who ran track. Before that there was no womens track team at UGA.

Hmmmm....This year UGA and Florida are unranked. The top rated RB in the country (Isaiah Crowell) has had UGA stickers on his car bumper since he was 16 and has UGA and Bama in his final 2. He is a life long Dawg fan but of course is intrigued with Saban. Crowell is a devoted Christian and has said he would like to be a preacher when his playing days are over (I think his dad is a pastor too). That sounds like Mark Richt kind of player to me and the kind of leader we had with D. Green and Pollack. Players who grew up as Dawg fans and who never got in any trouble. Crowell is scheduled to be in Athens for the UGA/Tech game. A Win over Florida and Tech could go along way in winning him back over from Bama. His heart is with UGA but after those 4 losses he started leaning towards Bama. I think UGA can win him back.

I see a pattern developing !

If this pattern holds true that elusive National Championship could come UGA's way !

Oh.....and for what its worth, UGA beat Florida 33-10 in 1979 ! So we definately have to beat Florida for this dream pattern to continue.

Edited by coachx

But remember that Richt is very loyal to players so more than likely, a true freshman will not start/play for Richt. He would feel that King/Ealey/Samuels have waited their turn and deserve a shot to play.

I would hope Richt would wise up and play his best player, but Richt loves his loyalty.

Interesting little tid bit:

The last time UGA and Florida played when both teams were unranked was 1979. Dooley kept his job and interestingly enough, the next year he got Herschel Walker and won the National Title and 3 consecutive SEC Championships.......Dooley had to start a woman's track team in order to get Walker b/c Walker was set on going to the same school as his sister, who ran track. Before that there was no womens track team at UGA.

Hmmmm....This year UGA and Florida are unranked. The top rated RB in the country (Isaiah Crowell) has had UGA stickers on his car bumper since he was 16 and has UGA and Bama in his final 2. He is a life long Dawg fan but of course is intrigued with Saban. Crowell is a devoted Christian and has said he would like to be a preacher when his playing days are over (I think his dad is a pastor too). That sounds like Mark Richt kind of player to me and the kind of leader we had with D. Green and Pollack. Players who grew up as Dawg fans and who never got in any trouble. Crowell is scheduled to be in Athens for the UGA/Tech game. A Win over Florida and Tech could go along way in winning him back over from Bama. His heart is with UGA but after those 4 losses he started leaning towards Bama. I think UGA can win him back.

I see a pattern developing !

If this pattern holds true that elusive National Championship could come UGA's way !

Oh.....and for what its worth, UGA beat Florida 33-10 in 1979 ! So we definately have to beat Florida for this dream pattern to continue.

Man, UGA fans will grasp at any straw thrown their way for some hope. C'mon man, because some kid has had a UGA bumper sticker on his car since he got his license means that the Dawgs are going to beat the Gators this weekend? Let's be realistic here. Both the Gators and Dawgs absolutely suck this year. Florida's offense is absolutely terrible; Brantley could excel in a pro-style offense but the Gators are showing their unwillingness to stray from the spread. The running game is suffering from this too, between injuries and not being able to stretch the field this offense just absolutely blows. Defensively, the secondary is there, but the front line and linebackers were severely depleted from last years draft. UGA is starting to look a little better, but these recent wins have come against Tennessee, Vandy, and Kentucky. I'm a lifelong Gators fan, grew up in Florida and moved to Atlanta when I was young, but go to UGA. Trust that I heard all the "fire Richt" talk after the first 4 games and now all the "we can still win the SEC East!" talk after the last few games. It's insane, but quite funny how excited everyone gets over a few garbage wins. UGA's offense has done absolutely nothing against teams with any run D. And regardless of the Gators woes, they've shown to have a pretty solid run D. Even to the best 1-2 RB punch in the nation (Ingram and Richardson) we only gave up a little over 100 yards to them. As a team, the Dawgs averaged about ~85 yards per game against South Carolina and Miss St, all the while giving up damn near 200 yards to each team (and 100+ to a single player on each team). Their rushing stats for the year are highly overrated due to their past few games. The Dawgs are going to have to run the ball successfully against the Gators to stretch the field for the passing game, and that's not something I'm sure they can do. Same goes for the Gators though... If it wasn't for the rivalry between UF and UGA, this year's game wouldn't be very intriguing, IMO. I'm not even going this year.

I have no idea what will happen this year, it could very easily go either way. I just don't think either fanbase/team has much to be excited over this year regardless of the final score.

Man, UGA fans will grasp at any straw thrown their way for some hope. C'mon man, because some kid has had a UGA bumper sticker on his car since he got his license means that the Dawgs are going to beat the Gators this weekend? Let's be realistic here.

You got to learn what a fluff piece is when you see it. Nothing was serious at all about that post. Just a fluff post on the last time UGA and UF were unranked when they played and some ironic similarities of situations in 1979 and 2010.

Interesting avatar......a Gator fan, who is a Vick fan, that goes to UGA, with only 2 post here. Hmmmm....makes you wonder if we have some trolling or a double identity going on. Normally people join this site for the Hawks but your 2nd post EVER is on the Gators.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

With the way this rivalry has gone over the last 20 years and the way Florida has closed Georgia's lead in the series, Georgia fans would be excited about beating Florida this year for sure.

Edited by AHF

You got to learn what a fluff piece is when you see it. Nothing was serious at all about that post. Just a fluff post on the last time UGA and UF were unranked when they played and some ironic similarities of situations in 1979 and 2010.

Interesting avatar......a Gator fan, who is a Vick fan, that goes to UGA, with only 2 post here. Hmmmm....makes you wonder if we have some trolling or a double identity going on. Normally people join this site for the Hawks but your 2nd post EVER is on the Gators.

I know what it is, it's just funny to read something so outlandish.

Dude, it was 3am and I was wondering around the forum, as I'd just joined after simply reading posts for quite some time. I'm a huge Gators fan but I go to UGA, funny I know, but in-state $ + HOPE > out of state tuition and all the other costs that come with that. I'm a Falcons fan and still like Vick, not sure what that has to do with anything, though... Regardless, I'm not a troll, just posting about topics I'm interested in :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

He won the 1st SEC Championship in 20 years at Ga. Before he got here competing for national championships had not even been a topic of conversation for UGA fans in well over a decade. Mark Richt is the man that changed the culture at UGA and spoiled the younger fans who know nothing but the consistent winning under the Richt era that put the UGA program back up where it was in Dooley's prime. Dooley had 5 years being under .500 in 25 years. Has Richt not earned the right to fix his ship after 9 years of consistent winning ?

To answer your questio about our defensive talent. UGA had 3 DTs drafted last year (Owens, Atkins, and Weston) alone. The middle of the D-Line was our strength last year. It was he secondary that killed us last season. Weston and Owens would have been solid nose tackles and Gaston would have been p[erfect as a end in 3-4 or a pass rushing DT in a 4-3.. When you have talent like that on your roster it hard to recruit at that position for a few years. That causes the DT position to be manned by inexpierenced under-classman for a year. UGA also lost there best LB last year in Curran, who is also now in the NFL.

We have a 3-4 system now and this is the 1st year UGA has had to recruit players that fit it. By the time Grantham was hired last year our entire recruiting class (accept maybe 2) had already committed to us.

I'm sorry but having 3 non impact dl's drafted doesn't really mean anything to me. we're talking about UGA not the pros they produce. this team may stack talent but the execution and discipline just isn't there and that falls on the coaching staff... and the only coach to not change in his tenure is himself

Yall overreact. And yall have no appreciation for Richt. As an outsider to UGA (actually I hate them) I cannot believe anyone would want to fire Richt. He is a real good coach/recruiter and has been great for your program. EVERY program goes through their ups and downs, you just shouldn't be overreacting. The highest winning % for a program is somewhere around 73%. Mark Richt wins 78% of his games.

If UGA runs Richt out then good, its just UGA on their high horse even though they have no reason to be.

• Moderators

Yall overreact. And yall have no appreciation for Richt. As an outsider to UGA (actually I hate them) I cannot believe anyone would want to fire Richt.

At this point a majority of UGA fans don't want Richt fired. You are talking about a vocal minority. If the team is struggling next season, there will be genuine smoke on this issue, though. That said, things clearly haven't gone as well the last few years and examining things like why we have an offensive coordinator that no one else in the country has wanted to hire away from us over the last several years is not an unfair question. When FSU was at its best, it had assistants that other teams wanted badly (Richt, Amato, etc.). When UGA was at its best under Richt, he had assistants who were desired. The last couple years that hasn't been the case and I think Richt could use more bench strength in that department.

• 3 weeks later...

I really think Richt saved his job with the win over Tech. I know people say it shouldn't have come down to this but if you don't make a bowl and go 0-3 in the big rivalry games, you have pissed off a majority of the fan base.

Last night the hole stadium was booing Mike Bobo. He really does need to go. It's basically Mark's offense.

• Moderators

I was glad to see the win and hope Richt turns the momentum of this program around. Aaron Murray seems like a great foundation, that is for sure. (My one quibble with Murray is...never fall on the ball on fourth down - if you fall on the ball it is the same as letting Tech fall on the ball. You are better off gambling on trying to pick it up and run with it on fourth down.)

That said, the Tech game was not all that encouraging. It was sloppy play - again - and we did nearly everything to give that one away with the turnovers.