• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mark Richt and UGA

Wurider05

Given the new AD it will be a very different matter when they sit down to evaluate the program. But I think one of MR's flaws is the ability to hire quality coordinators. Seems like he is afraid to bring in people that are really quality guys. Bobo was a nobody when he was hired for one ot the top jobs in the country. That was a huge mistake.

• Moderators

Given the new AD it will be a very different matter when they sit down to evaluate the program. But I think one of MR's flaws is the ability to hire quality coordinators. Seems like he is afraid to bring in people that are really quality guys. Bobo was a nobody when he was hired for one ot the top jobs in the country. That was a huge mistake.

Unfortunately, I think this is right.

Our OL coach has underachieved relative to the recruiting evaluation of our talent for the last 5 years as well.

Unfortunately, I think this is right.

Our OL coach has underachieved relative to the recruiting evaluation of our talent for the last 5 years as well.

The coaching of the center drives me nuts this year.

UGA's center is coached NOT TO hike the ball when the defense jumps off sides. I have never seen another team play this way. Especially in a major conference like the SEC.

Most teams hike the ball and take a "free play" knowing that a 5 yard off sides penalty is in their favor if they turn the ball over meaning they it negates a turnover.

Instead they are coaching the center to hold the ball and let a freshman QB attempt to read the blitz and burn it. Even when UGA had David Green we would hike the ball, when the defense jumps off sides, and Green would kneel the ball to take the 5 yard penalty or he would take the free play if he saw somehting he liked.

Stacy Searles should have stayed at LSU. He got a lot of hype when they won that National Championship with Saban.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

The coaching of the center drives me nuts this year.

UGA's center is coached NOT TO hike the ball when the defense jumps off sides. I have never seen another team play this way. Especially in a major conference like the SEC.

Most teams hike the ball and take a "free play" knowing that a 5 yard off sides penalty is in their favor if they turn the ball over meaning they it negates a turnover.

It is insane not to take the upside of a big play and downside of a minimum 5 penalty yards when you have the chance. There is no justification for making that decision that flies with me.

I meant to say a real good QB since Stafford left. Getting Green should help the offense out some. I find it funny Green get in trouble for selling his game worn jersey. Nebraska is going to be auctioning off game worn jerseys and won't get into any trouble.

If an agent buys on they probably will. Especially if that agent has a big mouth on him and blabs about it.

• Moderators

More sloppy play from Georgia. I do have to say, though, that watching Coloroda rush the field made me feel a bit better about the Georgia program. No way the people in Athens would be pathetic enough to rush the field in a win over a 1-4 team. So we suck this year, but expectations haven't dropped that low.

I'm sorry man..UGA has too much talent on their team to be losing the games they're losing. Mark Richt isn't a special coach, like Nick Saban or Steve Spurrier. In fact, I don't see you guys winning anything in the next couple of years with him as your coach. I know it's easier to pass the blame to his assistants/coordinators, but UGA has struggled on both sides of the ball for quite some time now. It seems when someone says Mark Richt needs to be fired they're quick to point out his SEC championships and CotY awards, but when he loses it's someone else's fault. If you're going to blame his assistants for the team's shortcomings, you should credit them for his past success as well (excluding the newly-hired Grantham of course).

10 years: no championships... Unless like the Braves they consider "Pennants" championships! This man should be gone... At least other coaches that recruit criminals like him win the big one sometime. Also, where did his offensive genius go? If your team becomes stagnant and plain horrible to watch because one WR (although, great) goes out, are you really coaching up your team? And what happened to the BIG (both in size and skills) UGA defensive players such as Thomas Davis, Seymour and the likes? He's recruiting 3rd tier Florida and south GA players that are much too small and unatheltic to compete in the SEC.

10 years: no championships... Unless like the Braves they consider "Pennants" championships! This man should be gone... At least other coaches that recruit criminals like him win the big one sometime. Also, where did his offensive genius go? If your team becomes stagnant and plain horrible to watch because one WR (although, great) goes out, are you really coaching up your team? And what happened to the BIG (both in size and skills) UGA defensive players such as Thomas Davis, Seymour and the likes? He's recruiting 3rd tier Florida and south GA players that are much too small and unatheltic to compete in the SEC.

He won the 1st SEC Championship in 20 years at Ga. Before he got here competing for national championships had not even been a topic of conversation for UGA fans in well over a decade. Mark Richt is the man that changed the culture at UGA and spoiled the younger fans who know nothing but the consistent winning under the Richt era that put the UGA program back up where it was in Dooley's prime. Dooley had 5 years being under .500 in 25 years. Has Richt not earned the right to fix his ship after 9 years of consistent winning ?

To answer your questio about our defensive talent. UGA had 3 DTs drafted last year (Owens, Atkins, and Weston) alone. The middle of the D-Line was our strength last year. It was he secondary that killed us last season. Weston and Owens would have been solid nose tackles and Gaston would have been p[erfect as a end in 3-4 or a pass rushing DT in a 4-3.. When you have talent like that on your roster it hard to recruit at that position for a few years. That causes the DT position to be manned by inexpierenced under-classman for a year. UGA also lost there best LB last year in Curran, who is also now in the NFL.

We have a 3-4 system now and this is the 1st year UGA has had to recruit players that fit it. By the time Grantham was hired last year our entire recruiting class (accept maybe 2) had already committed to us.

Edited by coachx

CoachX, you sound like Richt's agent. Stop making excuses for him. He has gotten long on the tooth. He hasn't earned that right to fix the ship. A championship would have earned him that right.

First, its obvious to me you know little about the program and what the expectations were entering this year with a DC and freshman QB.

I simply know UGA and SEC football history. I grew up in Athens and know the Dooley family well. Vince's nephew, Derek's 1st cousin was my college roomate. I went to Derek's highschool, Clarke Central. I have sat in the President Suite with Knapp (the President before Adams). I have sat in Dooley's suite when he was athletic director (practically every game). My inner cycle ties were cut off (like many Athenians) when Adams came in and filled up the suites with wine and cheese heads from Cali.....but I still hear plenty of whispers from people who's opinion you used to count.

I also know Michael Adams might be the man making the call and not the athletic director. This is what happened when Admas fired Donnan, against the wishes of Dooley.

I am from a different era where immediate gratification is known to not alwayse be possible.

All 5 of Vince Dooley's losing seasons came BEFORE he won a National Championship. He had a few conference titles and that was enough to save his job.

Florida had to take a step back before getting Meyer. (Ron Zook era).

Alabama had to take 3 steps back after losing Gene Stallings before getting Saban. ( Shula, Dubose, Franchione)

Tennessee is taking who knows how many steps back after Fulmer. ( 3 coaches in 3 years has decimated their recruiting and team depth).

Careful what you wish for.

If Richt is fired I hope Will Muschamp or Gary Patterson are our man but I still support giving Richt the chance to right his ship. Having a new coach will cause several steps back and here is why.

1. Our freshman QB will be forced to learn a new system which would essential make him a freshman all over again as a sophmore.

2. Any new head coach is going to bring in their own DC. Do you really want our defense learning 3 new systems in 3 years ? Much less recruiting 3 different styles of defensive players over 3 years to mesh into a defense they are not best suited for.

3. Recruiting will suffer

I think Richt can right the ship quicker then anyone else.

Edited by coachx

I'm with Coachx. Richt has coached at the highest level and he has earned the right to weather a couple of down years without his job being questioned. He didn't wake up and forget how to coach.

Questioning him because he hasn't won an NC is ridiculous. Georgia was a mid-tier SEC program for twenty years before he took the helm. The fact that they have even been in the conversation over during the bulk of his tenure has been a major credit to him considering what he inherited. Besides, the fact that College Football does not have a playoff makes the luck element a big part of it -- UGA won the SEC with one loss a few years back and had the hottest team in the land in 2007; neither time did they have the opportunity to play for an NC. LSU, on the other hand, won a NC with a two loss team. Luck.

If Richt is fired there is no guarantee that the next guy will do better, in fact it is far more likely Georgia will take several steps back before moving forward (see Coachx post above). I think it is reasonable to keep Richt on until the end of next year and revisit the topic then -- if there is no discernible improvement or positive momentum then you look at making a change.

I do think, however, UGA should be looking at upgrading the OC.

Edited by jhay610

A few notes from this game. First off, A.J. Green is a man amongst boys. This guy has gotten significantly better since just last year. That catch where he was sandwiched and had the wind knocked out of him but held onto the ball was phenomenal. Not to mention that circus catch last week against Colorado. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Green has not been suspended, Georgia could very well be undefeated or perhaps just a one loss team. Richt would be a great coach again and no one would be bringing up questions about his job being on the line.

Also, did anyone else hear the announcers mention how A.J. felt responsibility for the programs terrible season thus far? They said he even brought up the idea of "paying back" the fans by staying on another year. Now I wouldn't blame the guy one bit if he still decides to enter the draft which everyone up until this week has figured he would. He is for sure the 1st receiver taken and will be a multi-millionaire. But IF he does stay another year? Wow! Aaron Murray looks very good(in some ways more accurate and definitely more athletic than Stafford.) Georgia would be a championship contender I believe. And Green would show tremendous character and honor if he did stay another year. I'm not going to hold my breath but that would definitely be a standup move to show love to your school and fans.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Nice to see the team getting some traction the last few weeks but the big test is in Jacksonville this week. That would make a huge difference to how this season is received by the fans, IMO. A win means that we have hope for the future. A loss means that we beat some bad teams but can't hang with the good ones. I'm excited to see what happens this weekend.

They are looking better. It seems as if the offense is clicking.

I wonder if Mark took some of the play calling away from Bobo?

I really think how we finish the season will be a true representation of what the team is going to have to do this offseason. Florida, Auburn, and Tech are all big tests.