• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Shaq Speaks...

Diesel

• Premium Member

"These guys are one step away," O'Neal said before Boston played the Hawks Monday night at Philips Arena. "But I love this town. I've had a home in Buckhead for 15 years."

O'Neal was interested in joining the Hawks over the summer. But after Atlanta balked at increasing its offer to more than the veteran's minimum salary, O'Neal signed with the Celtics for the same amount.

In addition to their reluctance to push their payroll above the luxury tax, the Hawks were concerned whether O'Neal would accept a back-up role behind center Al Horford and mesh with a relatively young team. He's one of five Celtics players with at least 12 years in the league.

"They have a blend of veteran players with the core of their team, and it's a lot easier to fit in a vet like Shaq," Hawks coach Larry Drew said. "If we brought him in here, it would be a little tougher. I don't think his personality would have fit with our guys. It makes more sense to have veteran guys around him."

Celtics coach Doc Rivers said there have been no issues with O'Neal accepting his role on a team with established players and strong personalities.

"We have good veterans," he said. "We are going to do it our way, nobody else's way, no matter who comes in the locker room. None of that individual stuff will be tolerated."

I think it was quite a shame the Hawks could not (or, would not) sign Shag! Not only do I think he could have given the Hawks some physical help down low I also think he could have been a huge help/mentor to some of the younger players (not to mention the major boost he would have given to the Fans Support/Attendance for the Hawks!)! Not offering Shag a better contract offer I think was a Huge Mistake by the Hawks!