• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Toomer's Trees: 1880ish-2011?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

UA whacko-fan (62-year old father of "Bear Bryant Updyke" and "Crimson Tide Updyke" and -- surprise! -- a non-alum and non-ticketholder) tries to ensure the only 'Rolling' that goes on in Alabama henceforth involves Tide.

http://topics.al.com/tag/Toomer's%20Corner/index.html

My main fascination is why he went and ran off his mouth, repeatedly, after-the-fact. There was a reasonable chance he could have gotten away with it. The poor fool just couldn't keep it to himself!

~lw3

• Moderators

What I am shocked at more is that Auburn University sent their soil samples away to Mississippi State to be tested. A state school that was formed at first as an agricultural school had to send away samples. Now one of my Auburn buddies said "well Mississippi State has the best agriculture program in the nation!" One, not true by a long shot although I will say MSU is a fine agricultural school. And two, you don't need to be sending away to "the best" to just test a sample to tell if a certain chemical is found. To me I think this is an indication that Auburn doesn't have the capabilities to test for this chemical in the soil. That's pretty pathetic in my mind for the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama.

I believe "The Original A&M" sampled some and sent some others to Miss State. Besides the "fire" mentioned below, I imagined they felt a need for an independent (at least, on the opposite end of bias, re: Cam Newton) tester as far as "how dead" in order to allow damage assessments to hold weight later on.

http://blog.al.com/live/2011/02/auburn_toomers_corner_oaks_poisoned.html

The university learned that a caller to The Paul Finebaum Show, a nationally syndicated radio show based in Birmingham, on Jan. 27, claimed he had applied the herbicide. As a precaution, soil samples were taken the next day and sent to the Alabama State Pesticide Residue Laboratory on campus for analysis. Due to a small fire that occurred in the Alabama lab in December, the tests were sent to the lab at Mississippi State University in Starkville, Miss., to expedite results.

~lw3