• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Van Gundy: Not Much Upside with Bibby

Hawkxan1

(Mike) Bibby was just trying to play a role Thursday. He said it will take time to get his legs back, but he's not worried. He finished with three points, one assist and three rebounds in 19 minutes. His only basket in his debut came late in the first half when he hit a 3-pointer in the left corner.

Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said the Heat's move to add Bibby makes sense because "he certainly gives them one more very good player on their roster," but Van Gundy wasn't exactly impressed. He said (Mario) Chalmers is a better defender than Bibby, and (Eddie) House is a better shooter. Those are the two players who will lose minutes with Bibby now on the roster. House didn't play Thursday.

"I don't know how much of an upside there really is anyhow," Van Gundy said. "I don't know how much better he makes them. People see Mike Bibby and go, 'Wow, he's going to make them a lot better.' He's good, but I just don't know."

Bibby will be put to the test in the playoffs because the Heat are going to see some elite point guards. Potential opponents include Rajon Rondo, Derrick Rose and Chauncey Billups. Even Jameer Nelson, who had 16 points and seven assists Thursday, is the type of quick point guard that has given the Heat problems all season.

Bibby, at least offensively, should give the Heat an upgrade at point guard. He should provide experience and leadership. But he's not the reason the Heat will win or lose this season. And after one game, his record with the Heat are 0-1. This wasn't the debut he was expecting.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20110304#STORY_31630

Gotta agree with Stan on this one. What do you get out of Bibby that you don't get out of a Chamlers/House combo? The most likely long term result of the Heat signing Bibby is further prolonging their chemistry issues.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

SVG is 1 step from being an assclown. He's always commenting of other coach's problems but gets pissed when it's the other way around.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Just curious, why does Bibby need time to "get his legs back"? Acclimating to the Miami system and personnel takes time, but it is 2/3 of the way through the season already. Shouldn't he be in shape by now? More bizarre quotes from Bibby since leaving.

SVG is 1 step from being an assclown. He's always commenting of other coach's problems but gets pissed when it's the other way around.

Agreed. I just thought that although a rare occurrence, SVG did bring up a good point. And as it relates to the Heat potentially losing, I thought it was worth looking at :biggrin:

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Agreed. I just thought that although a rare occurrence, SVG did bring up a good point. And as it relates to the Heat potentially losing, I thought it was worth looking at :biggrin:

good post.

SVG is just one those guys that routinely talks out his backside. This time what he's saying is true but I question him for saying it through the media.

• Like 1

Just curious, why does Bibby need time to "get his legs back"? Acclimating to the Miami system and personnel takes time, but it is 2/3 of the way through the season already. Shouldn't he be in shape by now? More bizarre quotes from Bibby since leaving.

I was thinking the same thing AHF...it's not like he's been on a monthlong hiatus and couldn't work out for some reason. If anything I would think the short break would actually be a plus for his legs.

• Premium Member

What dose bibby mean "get his legs back"? Hey bibby use those legs and find your Defense!

Edited by QuantumHawkz

When isn't Bibby "working to get his legs back"...? When you don't have anything left in your legs there's nothing to get back, I don't think he hopped and skipped bringing the ball up the court just for the hell of it.

I completely agree with what Van Gundy said though, Chalmers is a better defender and House is definitely a better shooter off the bench.