• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jamal's streaky offense vs. Teague's defense

hawks21

Historically, the Hawks have had problems guarding smaller point guards. Everything worked out and the Hawks shot 51 percent as a TEAM in Game One. However, as Dwight Howard said in a AJC story. This isn't the NCAA tournament or a one-game elimination. The Hawks must win four of seven games.

Jamal Crawford is spending too much time as the "backup" point guard and he doesn't have a track record of being an above-average defender especially against smaller guards or making his teammates better with great passes for assists.

Crawford's streaky shooting may make some forget his other shortcomings, but usually he isn't an efficient scorer and it takes a high number of shots for him to be comfortable, but this could play into the Magic's hands if Crawford CONTINUE to get extended minutes as if he is a STARTER which forces JEFF TEAGUE TO BE ESSENTIALLY BENCHED.

Jameer Nelson is going to be a problem all series long--win or lose.

When Crawford's shot is not falling, he becomes a liability. Someone such as a Derrick Rose attacks the basket relentlessly when his outside shot isn't falling and gets to the free throw line or is thinking about making his teammates better..

Coach Drew has to be careful because things could get OUT OF CONROL with the Magic three-point shooters if Jameer isn't allowed to break the Hawks perimter down..

Dwight Howard is having a monster series, but the Hawks perimeter defense on Jameer Nelson has to be tight- ALL GAME LONG...

Plus, Joe Johnson is not a natural point guard and has some difficulty defending smaller, quick guards.

Hinrich played 28 minutes in Game One..Teagu had a DNP-CD

• Like 2

• Moderators

I"ve been critical of Jamal all season because his defense flat out sucks. And it sucks because he doesn't want to put in the effort to stay with his man.

But, I will say that LD had a good game plan in game one and executed it. Sure Jameer was taking it to us in the 3rd but as long as we had a lead and maintained it or bettered it then trading baskets with them was not a problem. Jamal was there to make sure we kept scoring. Dwight and Jameer were awesome but the more they scored the more out of the game the rest of their team got. We were playing well and frankly pretty lucky that we were shooting really well all the way around. But it was't all luck. We took good shots, executed and rebounded.

I think Teague is a good weapon like Jamal but in a different way. Holding that card for another game is ok. I just hope LD plays him.

• Like 1

Historically, the Hawks have had problems guarding smaller point guards. Everything worked out and the Hawks shot 51 percent as a TEAM in Game One. However, as Dwight Howard said in a AJC story. This isn't the NCAA tournament or a one-game elimination. The Hawks must win four of seven games.

Jamal Crawford is spending too much time as the "backup" point guard and he doesn't have a track record of being an above-average defender especially against smaller guards or making his teammates better with great passes for assists.

Crawford's streaky shooting may make some forget his other shortcomings, but usually he isn't an efficient scorer and it takes a high number of shots for him to be comfortable, but this could play into the Magic's hands if Crawford CONTINUE to get extended minutes as if he is a STARTER which forces JEFF TEAGUE TO BE ESSENTIALLY BENCHED.

Jameer Nelson is going to be a problem all series long--win or lose.

When Crawford's shot is not falling, he becomes a liability. Someone such as a Derrick Rose attacks the basket relentlessly when his outside shot isn't falling and gets to the free throw line or is thinking about making his teammates better..

Coach Drew has to be careful because things could get OUT OF CONROL with the Magic three-point shooters if Jameer isn't allowed to break the Hawks perimter down..

Dwight Howard is having a monster series, but the Hawks perimeter defense on Jameer Nelson has to be tight- ALL GAME LONG...

Plus, Joe Johnson is not a natural point guard and has some difficulty defending smaller, quick guards.

Hinrich played 28 minutes in Game One..Teagu had a DNP-CD

Im gonna call BS and here is why

Jameer had 7 of Orlandos first 8 points of the quarter on Kirk . Kirk was fantastic but during the 3rd Jameer got much more aggressive looking for his shot even before jamal came in to the game simply because Dwight was really starting to struggle ie.. the tech and 2-3 turnovers during that stretch etc .

Jamal didnt play extended minutes he played the same 31 minutes hes played since the day he arrived .

He had 9 points and one assist in the 4th .......We scored 18 total points in the quarter

Jamal tied for the team lead in assists with 5 assists in 31 minutes . Jameer had one assist the 36 minutes

Stan Van Gundy even mentioned hos our strategy worked because even though Jameer hit some shots it played right into our hands because no one else would get going . But they did realize that whoever is guard jameer would have no help the majority of the time as no one was gonna leave Dwight to seal off the lane and while the corner defender would occasionally help he wasnt gonna leave the shooter either .

Kirk was fantastic but jameer kinda caught on to what was going at the half and got more aggressive as the game went on . But Ill take jameer taking 18 shots and getting one assist every time

Now do I think teague should get some minutes ? yes but do I think Teague will get them on the road ? no I do not .

During the entire 3rd quarter stretch of Jameers scoring barrage he shaved 3 points off our 17 point lead . Some of you are simply trying way too hard to make something out of nothing

I"ve been critical of Jamal all season because his defense flat out sucks. And it sucks because he doesn't want to put in the effort to stay with his man.

But, I will say that LD had a good game plan in game one and executed it. Sure Jameer was taking it to us in the 3rd but as long as we had a lead and maintained it or bettered it then trading baskets with them was not a problem. Jamal was there to make sure we kept scoring. Dwight and Jameer were awesome but the more they scored the more out of the game the rest of their team got. We were playing well and frankly pretty lucky that we were shooting really well all the way around. But it was't all luck. We took good shots, executed and rebounded.

I think Teague is a good weapon like Jamal but in a different way. Holding that card for another game is ok. I just hope LD plays him.

Very well put. LD had a good strategy for Game 1 but the playoffs is all about making adjustments during the series and he needs to keep Teague in his back pocket if Jamal starts struggling on offense.

As you said, Jamal was getting good looks and knocking them down so his issues on defense were negated. I don't see him staying this hot all series so I really hope Drew uses Teague when necessary. I think this will be a huge factor as to whether we win this series or not. Dwight can get his points, that doesn't bother me as long as we clamp down on the perimeter.