• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jeff Teague: Should more of the offense go through him?

hawks21

ISO-Joe is not the answer to beating the Bulls .

Coach Drew said it best:

“A lot of key players get double-teams. They play out of double-teams,” Drew said. “A lot of playing out of double-teams is not necessarily trying to beat the double-team, but making plays."

“You have to show a willingness to give the ball up and trust your teammates. If you continue to try to beat the double-team by yourself, you’re playing into the opposition’s hands.”

I wish Joe had the ability of Dwayne Wade or Lebron who are able to attack the basket before the opposing defense sets and sometimes finish with DUNKS or GETTING TO THE FT LINE. However, Joe rarely dunks or finishes with authority. Kobe did that in his prime. Jordan did that in his prime. Nique did that in his prime.

Joe gets trapped too often(on one side of the court) and lacks the speed and athleticism to consistently beat double-teams. On top of that, his decison-making is too slow.

Jeff Teague is better at breaking defenses down and Joe Jonson shouldn't be allowed to hold on the basketball as if he is the POINT GUARD.

Jeff Teague isn't Derrick Rose, but he has the ability to have a similar impact and bring something to the table that Bibby, Hinrich and Joe haven't been able to do.

SPEED DOESN'T GO INTO A SLUMP.

Should more plays go to Teague so he can create for himself, and having another athletic wing player (Who can finish at the rim) such as Damien Wilkins may change the Hawks profile...

I wish the 6'9 Marvin would be able to fill that void as the "athletic wing", but its not going to happen...

Edited by hawks21

ISO-Joe is not the answer to beating the Bulls .

Coach Drew said it best:

I wish Joe had the ability of Dwayne Wade or Lebron who are able to attack the basket before the opposing defense sets and sometimes finish with DUNKS or GETTING TO THE FT LINE. However, Joe rarely dunks or finishes with authority. Kobe did that in his prime. Jordan did that in his prime. Nique did that in his prime.

Joe gets trapped too often(on one side of the court) and lacks the speed and athleticism to consistently beat double-teams. On top of that, his decison-making is too slow.

Jeff Teague is better at breaking defenses down and Joe Jonson shouldn't be allowed to hold on the basketball as if he is the POINT GUARD.

Jeff Teague isn't Derrick Rose, but he has the ability to have a similar impact and bring something to the table that Bibby, Hinrich and Joe haven't been able to do.

SPEED DOESN'T GO INTO A SLUMP.

Should more plays go to Teague so he can create for himself, and having another athletic wing player (Who can finish at the rim) such as Damien Wilkins may change the Hawks profile...

I wish the 6'9 Marvin would be able to fill that void as the "athletic wing", but its not going to happen...

All Teagues been doing anyway is creating for himself hes not a PG hes a SG in a Pg's body if anything this series has proved that . Not that there is anything wrong with that but please stop saying give him the ball so someone else can get more shots because thats not happening

I'm not so sure I agree with that. I've seen teague create quite a few open shots for guys who are just missing the shot. Nobody seems to be cutting or moving at all either when teague is driving so he's pretty much left to either dribble back out or take the shot. I don't think our guys are used to playing with a pg who can and will drive into the lane.

• Like 3

I'm not so sure I agree with that. I've seen teague create quite a few open shots for guys who are just missing the shot. Nobody seems to be cutting or moving at all either when teague is driving so he's pretty much left to either dribble back out or take the shot. I don't think our guys are used to playing with a pg who can and will drive into the lane.

This^^^^

Someone pointed that out in the chat that recorded the game. They said they rewinded a few possessions, and after the double teams came nobody would cut to the basket. We just spread the floor, and act clueless. I only noticed a few possessions where we actually cut to the basket. Just seems like nobody ever moves. Wish we would move the ball kinda like we did in game 1.

Edited by Frenzy

Exactly. This is where Coach Drew has ASSERT HIMSELF AS COACH and tell Joe Johnson act like a 'good teammate' along with JOSH SMITH because it gives the Hawks the best chance to win against the Bulls.

Johnson holding onto the basketball is something that shouldn't be tolerated and if he tries to freeze out Jeff Teague then Drew should discipline him with the bench.

The Big Three in Boston deferred to Rajon Rondo and Rondo had some big playoff games.

For Joe Johnson, he needs to learn how to be a better teammate on the floor.

You guys are about to see what JJ means when he says that he's going to "force the issue". It doesn't necessarily mean a steady diet of ISO basketball.

All he was referring to, was not giving up the ball as soon as he is doubled. If he stays true to his word, he's going to try to be the aggressor, instead of letting the defense dictate what he should do. Far too long he has let the defense determine what he should do, instead of him simply being on the attack. So if he does something with the ball as soon as he gets it, whether it be immediately taking the jumpshot, or going quicker to the hole before the double team is fully set. that's what he means by "forcing the issue".

The Bulls WANT the ball out of JJ's ( and Jamal's ) hands. They can live with other people scoring ( like a Teague ), if our main guys aren't going to get the ball.

And don't get it twisted folks. As soon as the Bulls want to clamp down on Teague, they will. Jeff has yet to see an aggressive double team, like what JJ and Jamal are seeing. If that happens today, he'll also have to decide to either "force the issue" or give the ball up.

People should be thankful that JJ is looking to be more aggressive. JJ taking 12 to 15 shots in a game is NOT going to see us beat the Bulls. We need our main guys to get it going. So if JJ has to "force the issue" to get it going, or get other people better shots, then so be it.

Joe could probably get to the basket, but a lot of times he waits too long to pass out of the double teams. That's how he gets his self in trouble.

The Hawks have some 'trust issues'. Joe Johnson does make the most money on this team and among the highest salaries in the league, but this is where his ability to show on-court leadership is put to the test...and that doesn't mean just putting up more shots in ill-advised situations.

Joe Johnson doesn't have Chris Paul's or Ruseell Westbrook's skill set of speed and change of direction. So being able to set-up his teammates and understand what defenses are trying to do is vital.

Teague may be a shooting guard in a point guard's body (i.e. Westbrook, Wade, Paul, Iverson, etc.), but his attitude and athleticism along with his ability to break down defenses, block shots, dunk over people, is something Johnson and the rest of the veterans have to respect going forward.

Edited by hawks21
  • Like 1

Exactly. This is where Coach Drew has ASSERT HIMSELF AS COACH and tell Joe Johnson act like a 'good teammate' along with JOSH SMITH because it gives the Hawks the best chance to win against the Bulls.

Johnson holding onto the basketball is something that shouldn't be tolerated and if he tries to freeze out Jeff Teague then Drew should discipline him with the bench.

The Big Three in Boston deferred to Rajon Rondo and Rondo had some big playoff games.

For Joe Johnson, he needs to learn how to be a better teammate on the floor.

LOL @ being a good teammate. He played the "good teammate" in Game 3, and it saw us getting blown out because he only took 12 shots, while other people were missing shot arfter shot, outside of Teague. People talking about him freezing out Teague? Where are you guys getting this from? If Teague plays the point, he should still be aggressive, but he also should look to get the ball to our main guys when they are open. That's what a Rajon Rondo does. He doesn't shoot the ball every time.

It's unbelievable that some of you don't want JJ to be more aggressive. To me, that's what "forcing the issue" means. It simply means that he's not going to just sit in the corner to wait on the ball, or give the ball up as soon as 2 Bulls run at him. If he's aggressive, he may just create better scoring opportunities for other people. I just want JJ to stay true to his word. Please "force the issue" today. Don't let them dictate what you should do with the ball. You force them to change up their defense, by making aggressive plays out of the double team.

• Like 1

We just spread the floor, and act clueless. I only noticed a few possessions where we actually cut to the basket. Just seems like nobody ever moves. Wish we would move the ball kinda like we did in game 1.

Not to make excuses for our guys...but I wonder if LD preaches "spacing" a lot in practice. It seems like our guys (in the set offense) are primarily concerned with where they are standing on the court. Not a lot of creativity or slashing.

P.S. - DAL totally blowing out LAL...amazing. Lakers players are getting kicked out of the game now for obvious thuggery. Sad display.

P.S.S. - I think it was JB who advised that this JJ Barea kid would be a good guy to take a look at in the draft - Sure wish he was in our front office at the time.

Edited by DJlaysitup