• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Prepare for a long lock out

dlpin

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-05-16/sbj-nba-proposes-45-million-hard-salary-cap#ixzz1MY8wVC6I

First proposal includes non guaranteed contracts and 45 million hard cap. Which means that every team but the kings (current payroll at 44 mill) would have to cut between 7 million (clippers at 52) to 46 million (lakers at 91).

Given how far apart the sides will likely be after this, I expect a long lock out. Just look at how much smaller the difference is in the nfl and how long their lock out has been going on.

And I will say that I side for the most part with the players. How can the NBA be losing as much money as they claim when there have been so many attempts at buying some of the bottom feeding teams rejected? Someone bought the nets for 300 million in 04 and sold a controlling share (but not all of it) to the Russian billionaire in exchange for 700 million to build the Brooklyn arena. From 300 to 700 in 5 years is a pretty good investment.

Would this mean that teams could just reduce salaries of players already under contract? Seems like they would be breaking the deal. If the owners are really serious about this, I agree, there may be a really long lockout.

...First proposal includes non guaranteed contracts and 45 million hard cap. Which means that every team but the kings (current payroll at 44 mill) would have to cut between 7 million (clippers at 52) to 46 million (lakers at 91).

Given how far apart the sides will likely be after this, I expect a long lock out. Just look at how much smaller the difference is in the nfl and how long their lock out has been going on....

...which a source said still included the $45 million hard cap but added a phase-in of the cap over a few years.

Of course it's VERY early in the process so I would expect alot of bargaining before something gets worked out. My guess is that the owners will be willing to go up a reasonable amount on the cap number in exchange for getting some form of non-guarranteed contracts.

The owners seem to want rules that protect them against themselves. They got the rule in place to stop the High School to the pros leap...now they want to protect themselves from giving out lousy longterm contracts that they can't get out of. Basically they want the NFL model (IMO).

I can't really blame them/Stern (for wanting that), I just hope both sides are willing to bargain enough and that we have a season next year.

...which a source said still included the $45 million hard cap but added a phase-in of the cap over a few years.

Of course it's VERY early in the process so I would expect alot of bargaining before something gets worked out. My guess is that the owners will be willing to go up a reasonable amount on the cap number in exchange for getting some form of non-guarranteed contracts.

The owners seem to want rules that protect them against themselves. They got the rule in place to stop the High School to the pros leap...now they want to protect themselves from giving out lousy longterm contracts that they can't get out of. Basically they want the NFL model (IMO).

I can't really blame them/Stern (for wanting that), I just hope both sides are willing to bargain enough and that we have a season next year.

Sure, it is early in the process. But we are a few weeks away from free agency, and if 45 million is the starting offer, then they are very far apart. The median team payroll now is 68 million, so we are talking about cutting salaries by about 1/3. As a comparison, the NFL wants to reduce payrolls by about 18%, and the lockout has been ongoing for 2 months with no sign of ending. And unless there is a decisive legal victory for one side in the NFL lockout which would discourage one of the sides in the nba from continuing, I see the nba lockout lasting a lot longer.

I am not so sure. A hard cap is going to kill the thunder.

And non guaranteed contracts means that new york and LA can chase free agents any year they want. Shorter, non guaranteed contracts might lead to new york and LA getting everyone every year.