• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Issues on "new skin ?"

coachx

How does a normal person get all the needed updates to make this site work properly ? I have no clue how to enable "java scripts" or upgrade "fire fox." I have asked multiple people who have no clue either. I did delete cookies and clear my cache.

I can no longer do basic task such as paste in links or quotes to threads.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who is not a computer geek and is having issues with this web site. This is the only web site I'm having any issues with. Whatever software I'm using has no problems any where else but here.

Another issue is responding to threads. It appears the only way to respond to a thread is to "quote" the thread you want to respong to. Then go in and erase the quote if you don't want to actually quote the entire thread your responding too. Is there not an easier way to respond to a thread without having to quote it ?

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

Another issue is responding to threads. It appears the only way to respond to a thread is to "quote" the thread you want to respong to. Then go in and erase the quote if you don't want to actually quote the entire thread your responding too. Is there not an easier way to respond to a thread without having to quote it ?

At the bottom of the page there is a box labeled "REPLY TO THIS TOPIC." You can just type in that box and then hit the button that reads "Post" and it will post your response to the bottom of the thread. Despite the quote above, that is how I actually drafted this response.

At the bottom of the page there is a box labeled "REPLY TO THIS TOPIC." You can just type in that box and then hit the button that reads "Post" and it will post your response to the bottom of the thread. Despite the quote above, that is how I actually drafted this response.

Simple enough....thanks. I did not scroll down far enough to see the new spot.

Why can't I paste in links or quotes any more ? I can do it on every web site but this one.

• Moderators

How does a normal person get all the needed updates to make this site work properly ? I have no clue how to enable "java scripts" or upgrade "fire fox."

I am assuming Firefox is your internet browser and you can upgrade it for free here: http://www.mozilla.c...US/firefox/new/

I don't know why you are having issues with enabling java scripts. The only time I have that issue is when using a "no script" protection program. It gives me the option in the lower right corner of the screen to allow scripts from this website and others.

Not sure if those help but others who are much more computer-savvy surely can.

Simple enough....thanks. I did not scroll down far enough to see the new spot.

Why can't I paste in links or quotes any more ? I can do it on every web site but this one.

I haven't noticed any change with this from the last version. I can cut and paste text from a word file or another internet browser into this box. For example, here is the link to Sports Illustrated just cut and paste in:

(simple cut and paste)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/

You can also click on a button in the reply box and do these things.

(quote icon)

(link icon)

Edited by AHF

I haven't noticed any change with this from the last version. I can cut and paste text from a word file or another internet browser into this box. For example, here is the link to Sports Illustrated just cut and paste in:

(simple cut and paste)

Cutting and pasting is how I have always put in links and quotes as well. Now when I right click, the option to paste or copy are in grey, not black, so I can't paste or copy. It only does it on this website and has only happnened since the website change.

Thanks for the firefox link. I thought this was my issue but apparently not. I did the upload but the issue must be something different for me. I still don't have the option of copying or pasting articles and quotes here. It works fine on outlook express, yahoo, windstream, and other message board like the Atlanta Falcons. Its just this one web site that no longer lets me copy and past links or quotes.

Oh well.

Edited by coachx

You are correct this is one way of you doing it ... and you can also click the "Reply to this topic" button at the top right of the thread as well. Typing at the bottom of the page is the "preferred" way of doing it because you don't have to get transferred to a new page and then transferred back after posting, it actually just refreshes the page you are on.

Also, if you are typing a reply and someone else replies the page "should" auto-update the topic with that new reply, although I've yet to see that feature in action.

ksjdlsj

Cutting and pasting is how I have always put in links and quotes as well. Now when I right click, the option to paste or copy are in grey, not black, so I can't paste or copy. It only does it on this website and has only happnened since the website change.

Thanks for the firefox link. I thought this was my issue but apparently not. I did the upload but the issue must be something different for me. I still don't have the option of copying or pasting articles and quotes here. It works fine on outlook express, yahoo, windstream, and other message board like the Atlanta Falcons. Its just this one web site that no longer lets me copy and past links or quotes.

Oh well.

Toggle the editing mode(first button at the top of reply to this topic)

How does a normal person get all the needed updates to make this site work properly ? I have no clue how to enable "java scripts" or upgrade "fire fox." I have asked multiple people who have no clue either. I did delete cookies and clear my cache.

I can no longer do basic task such as paste in links or quotes to threads.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who is not a computer geek and is having issues with this web site. This is the only web site I'm having any issues with. Whatever software I'm using has no problems any where else but here.

You don't HAVE to upgrade Firefox OR enable JavaScript ... but you're not going to see or be able to use Hawksquawk as it was designed or have all of the functionality.

If you have JavaScript disabled then you're likely using an add-on such as NoScript (which I highly recommend using!) or you might have changed your settings in your browser options. Again, you don't have to enable it but the site won't operate at it's most efficient without it.

You've never had to deal with issues like these before because for the past 15+ years web designers have been designing for the lowest common denominator as far as browser capabilities go. Things like using less screen space for those with bigger monitors because of having to compensate for people with smaller monitors or lesser video cards. Or not making use of drop shadows, rounded corners and other such things that should have been able to be used 10 years ago if it weren't for many people being using with an old version of Internet Explorer instead of a more modern standards compliant browser. Things have changed a great deal in the past year and a half with browsers coming out with updates far more frequently and now adopting all of the "modern" standards that they should have adopted a decade ago. Now we as designers and developers are pushing people to upgrade their system capabilities so that the web can evolve faster and that means nudging you to upgrade your browser or to enable JavaScript on sites that you are familiar with and use on a regular basis like Hawksquawk.

Once again you don't have to upgrade your browser or enable JavaScript but unfortunately you're going to get those warnings at the bottom of the page that I put there, which are there for those that aren't aware that they're using an old browser or have JavaScript disabled.

Dolfan,

Do you have any idea why my copy and paste tools do not work on this website ?

You "should" be able to use "CTRL + C" to copy and "CTRL + V" to paste into the reply box at the bottom of the page but in order to be able to right-click and do it you'll have to click on the "more reply options" button to the bottom right of the reply box in order to go to the full page with the full text editor in it. I have no idea why it's designed that way since this is using a 3rd party text editor but if it makes you feel any better I can't right-click in the box to paste either unless I go to the fully reply page.

However it's pretty easy and faster to use your keyboard shorts "CTRL + C" to copy and "CTRL + V" to paste and you can do those in the quick reply box at the bottom of the page. If you cannot do that then I'm guessing it might be an issue with not having JavaScript enabled.

Edit - you "might" be able to choose "Edit > Paste" from your browser menu if you cannot right-click and choose it ... but using your keyboard shortcuts is still much quicker.

You "should" be able to use "CTRL + C" to copy and "CTRL + V" to paste into the reply box at the bottom of the page but in order to be able to right-click and do it you'll have to click on the "more reply options" button to the bottom right of the reply box in order to go to the full page with the full text editor in it. I have no idea why it's designed that way since this is using a 3rd party text editor but if it makes you feel any better I can't right-click in the box to paste either unless I go to the fully reply page.

However it's pretty easy and faster to use your keyboard shorts "CTRL + C" to copy and "CTRL + V" to paste and you can do those in the quick reply box at the bottom of the page. If you cannot do that then I'm guessing it might be an issue with not having JavaScript enabled.

Edit - you "might" be able to choose "Edit > Paste" from your browser menu if you cannot right-click and choose it ... but using your keyboard shortcuts is still much quicker.

CTRL + C and CTRL + V works perfectly to paste and copy. Never knew that trick.

Thanks Dolfan !

I thought new software was supposed to make life easier. I have found that it continues to make life more complicated (now have to remember the CTRL + C and CTRL + V tricks).

Edited by coachx

CTRL + C and CTRL + V works perfectly to paste and copy. Never knew that trick.

Thanks Dolfan !

I thought new software was supposed to make life easier. I have found that it continues to make life more complicated (now have to remember the CTRL + C and CTRL + V tricks).

LOL CTRL + C and CTRL + V have been around since the beginning of computers, or at least since I started using them in the early 90's. You can also use CTRL + X to "cut".

I honestly don't know why the paste dialog is only showing up in the full mode or when editing a post but it might be a Firefox issue with this editor box and unfortunately there's nothing I can do about that since I didn't program it.

There is a clipboard paste option in the upper right of the toolbar in the "Reply to this Topic" box. I find that it will paste something you have copied. I have also found that if I start typing something I can right click paste with my mouse. If it is just a blank field my right click with the mouse does not work. I find I have to use the copy option on the toolbar to copy anything I've typed in the "Reply to this Topic" field.

I get a pop up message asking for access to my clipboard when I use the copy and paste options on the toolbar. Perhaps there are browser options that can be adjusted to make it work like we want but I'd be the last person to know how to set it up.