• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ivan back to Earth...but still brought energy

DJlaysitup

Well Ivan came back down from the stratosphere last night:

MIA game stats...21:08 mins (3 OT), 5-7 fgs, 3-5 fts 4 rebs, 1 steal, 5 turnovers, 6 fouls.....13 points.

Char game:...11:59 mins (1 OT), 0-1 fgs, 0-0 fts, 2 rebs, 2 stls, 1 tunover, 3 fouls......0 points.

Big difference of course, but a few bright spots. Firstly, LD basically did what he said he would and carved out some minutes for Ivan. Of course this was made easier with T-Mac in street clothes, but at least he did get Ivan in the game.

Secondly, I think it wasn't really a game for Ivan to get much offensive production anyway. Vlad was jacking the shots a lot and our second unit did OK without him scoring points (Ivan got a +4 per in an OT game...not bad). At least he didn't get all excited after the MIA game and go 0 for 5.

Lastly, from what I saw, he was active on the defensive end, got a couple steals and got a couple rebounds. Foul-wise he will always get a high number (IMO) since he challenges and he has zero rep with the refs.

I just hope LD keeps putting him in the games...when we play "boring ball" I just watch him biggrin.png

Could he be the one? Long time posters here know the old man (me) has, for many seasons,

asked the Hawks to get us a "Tractor Trailer" type player. You remember him?

Ivan the Terrible appears to be this type of player. Strong under the basket. Able to rebound some.

Able to shoot a few, especially put backs. Will not be intimidated, come heck or high water.

Extra request from me: Be able to hit his free throws!

First you were being a big hater on the idea of putting him on the squad, now you're all up on his jockstrap? LOL figures.

http://www.hawksquaw...882#entry528882

biggrin.png ...I always reserve the right to be wrong...biggrin.png

...and it looks like I was . I just figured Ivan was a guy from nowhere, likely going nowhere. I put my faith in the knowledge that the our management usually can't judge talent. But as they say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally..

I really hope I was REALLY wrong and Ivan has a nice little career with the Hawks. It would be great for us and great for him.

Updating Ivan stats:

vs CHI tonight: 12:11 mins, 1-5 fgs, 1-1 fts, 3 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 fouls.

Ivan played in both real time and garbage time tonight. He looked pretty good late in the first half in real time (4 minutes or so) - but had trouble with his play in garbage time on offense...he still played with energy, worked on defense, and was involved in a couple steals/rebounds that he didn't get credit for.

He had a nice 3-point play when it mattered.

Edited by DJlaysitup

Ivan is a dirty work kinda player who could accell if he's out there with the starters but if you put him out there with the scrubs he's going to try and do too much and at least at this point doesn't look like he'll be able to do much with that group. But I think if you put him out there with the starters then he can kind of hide out and do the dirty work and get lots of good looks due to the talent around him getting most of the attention.

• Like 1

biggrin.png ...I always reserve the right to be wrong...biggrin.png

...and it looks like I was . I just figured Ivan was a guy from nowhere, likely going nowhere. I put my faith in the knowledge that the our management usually can't judge talent. But as they say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally..

I really hope I was REALLY wrong and Ivan has a nice little career with the Hawks. It would be great for us and great for him.

haha Fair enough, I definitely respect that. I missed the game tonight, but from the stat line and highlights it looks like the Hawks played a great all around game!

Maybe we should have an "Ivan watch thread"....no matter....I will keep this one up.

Ivan got all of 1:39 mins tonight. He went 0-1, 0-0, 0-0, 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Apparently he was caught up in some sort of deal where LD thought he needed the starters to win this game. Vlad Rad got 39:05 mins so something is going on. Now don't get me wrong - I'm not comparing Ivan's value to Vlad's....but 39:05 for a VetMin? That's a TON of minutes.

Anyway...I hope Ivan gets his 10 minutes in the next few games.

Mr. Rad has been a great addition to the Hawks. He replaces Crawford.

Many thought the Hawks were doomed without Crawford. Didn't work

that way, did it.

Ivan the Terrible is not a player who will see a lot of time, usually. But, what

he has to offer is, in my opinion, very important to the success of Atlanta.

Maybe we should have an "Ivan watch thread"....no matter....I will keep this one up.

Ivan got all of 1:39 mins tonight. He went 0-1, 0-0, 0-0, 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Apparently he was caught up in some sort of deal where LD thought he needed the starters to win this game. Vlad Rad got 39:05 mins so something is going on. Now don't get me wrong - I'm not comparing Ivan's value to Vlad's....but 39:05 for a VetMin? That's a TON of minutes.

Anyway...I hope Ivan gets his 10 minutes in the next few games.

Vlad played a lot of minutes because he started to replace Marvin, we needed his shooting. LD I think is monitoring T-Mac's minutes and we don't have another SF so therefore Vlad's minutes.