• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jenkins challenged by Drew to become better defender

Admin

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/jenkins_signs_contract_challenged_by_drew/11194060

ATLANTA – Hawks' first-round draft pick John Jenkins stroked a number of shots from long distance on Tuesday during intra-squad scrimmages on the opening day of rookie camp, but that was not what interested coach Larry Drew.

The 6-foot-4 Jenkins, whom the Hawks picked 23rd overall last month, made 43.9 percent of his three-pointers last season as a junior at Vanderbilt and Drew witnessed the evidence of that prowess on the Hawks practice court on Tuesday.

Yet as Drew prepares the Hawks' roster for summer league play, which starts on Friday in Las Vegas, he said he issued a challenge to Jenkins.

"When you're talking to him, you can hear how bad he wants it," Drew said. "He's a guy who really works hard and, as I told him, I'm going to challenge him. Everyone knows he's capable of making shots, everybody knows that when he's on the floor, you can't leave him, but defensively he's got to get better and he knows that.

"He's already said, 'Coach, just tell me what you need for me to do and I'll be studying film, I'll be studying tape, I want to get better.' He's a great kid and I'm happy that he's a part of our organization."

The Hawks made that part about Jenkins becoming part of their organization official on Tuesday when they announced that Jenkins had signed his contract.

Jenkins said he signed the contract in the morning before the first session began at 9 a.m. He said it was something he has worked hard for. But now he has even harder work ahead to become a complete player.

"He challenged me a lot today," Jenkins said of Drew in reference to his defense. "It's something I need to be better at, so in order to get better at it, he has to challenge you a lot."

Jenkins didn't offer any specifics on how Drew critiqued him, but after all it is the player's first day under his new coach. For now, he said he's doing his best to listen and to learn and to play hard.

With the way the Hawks are retooling on the fly, Jenkins looks like he will have to become a complete player and truly earn his playing time, as opposed to having it handed to him like some first-rounders. New general manager Danny Ferry keeps adding to his backcourt. The Hawks already have made deals that should become official on Wednesday when the NBA's trade moratorium is lifted in which Marvin Williams will go to Utah for guard Devin Harris and a slew of players, including sharp-shooting guard Anthony Morrow, will come from New Jersey in exchange for six-time All-Star Joe Johnson. On top of those (and in addition to incumbent starting point guard Jeff Teague), the Hawks reportedly are adding free agent guard Louis Williams, a seven-year veteran out of Snellville's South Gwinnett High. Williams is coming off a career-high average of 14.9 points per game for Philadelphia.

Jenkins was asked what it was like to be part of a changing of the guard and, by his answer, he's either overwhelmed or unwilling to rock the boat with any potential controversial statements.

"This is all new to me," he said, "so I'm just kind of taking it day by day and going out there to get better."

Drew said that for players on the summer league roster whom the Hawks have their eyes on, he wants to make sure that they try and digest enough information in a short period of time so that they are up to speed on the team's systems. For Jenkins, who will be a Hawk coming training camp in October unlike most of the others, Drew plans on overloading him with information. Drew also will overload Jenkins with minutes in Las Vegas to see what he can do.

It's all a sudden change from Jenkins' college career, perhaps the high point of which was defeating eventual national champion Kentucky for the Southeastern Conference championship in March for Vanderbilt's first conference title since 1951.

"It gave me a good peace to leave because I wanted to go out on a good note," Jenkins said of the accomplishment, "and that, of course, is a good note, getting a ring. It was definitely a fun experience. I'll remember that for the rest of my life."

And, no doubt, make new memories.

• Like 1

Drew will challenge everyone but the big names. He consistently had something to say about or to Teague and Zaza. Not so much for Josh, Joe, or Al. Drew takes the easy way out

Hey, that is negative! (nevermind that it is very true)

Hey, that is negative! (nevermind that it is very true)

I appreciate you acknowledging that it has some basis. Atleast you telling me I am negative was in a positive light. Edited by MrMeltdown

I appreciate you acknowledging that it has some basis. Atleast you telling me I am negative was in a positive light.

Having different perspectives on the board is a good thing. If the perspectives are informed and well articulated then even better. I wouldn't let the few posters who are annoyed with a conclusion get you frustrated.

Drew will challenge everyone but the big names. He consistently had something to say about or to Teague and Zaza. Not so much for Josh, Joe, or Al. Drew takes the easy way out

Truest thing I've ever heard. He always wants to challenge or punish lower guys. He takes Teague out when he does something stupid or plays bad but kept Joe in when doesn't pass to opens guys or shoot half court 3's for no reason. He takes Ivan out for doing shit but never scolds Josh for his bitchin! We need a coach who will tell it to anyone. I hope this is Larry Drew's last year..... unless we win the championship lol

• Premium Member

Now if we can just find someone to challenge Drew to become a better coach.