• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

In case your distaste for Orlando wasn't high enough...

Robdawg

Even if our offer were a little better, it's not worth having a guy like Dwight playing in your building and whooping your ass for several years reminding your fans of what you missed. If they see him in the playoffs now, it will be because they're in the finals.

Because the Magic will never have to play the Lakers *sarcasm*. Trading him to a division is meaningless in the NBA. This is not baseball. Take the better deal. Magic will not be in the Finals for the next 10+ years now. They practically gave away Dwight. Early second round worth picks and Afflalo, Harrington on bad contracts. Moe Harkless at best is Trevor Ariza which is ironic for Orlando since they got rid of him before he became decent. Getting rid of him for that package was asinine. Edited by GameTime
  • Like 1

Because the Magic will never have to play the Lakers *sarcasm*. Trading him to a division is meaningless in the NBA. This is not baseball. Take the better deal. Magic will not be in the Finals for the next 10+ years now. They practically gave away Dwight. Early second round worth picks and Afflalo, Harrington on bad contracts. Moe Harkless at best is Trevor Ariza which is ironic for Orlando since they got rid of him before he became decent. Getting rid of him for that package was asinine.

You're right that the deal sucks in terms of talent they got back. But saying it's meaningless to trade a superstar to a division foe isn't true. You don't psychologically do that to your fanbase or to your own organization. I don't have to go into the facts of how much more intimate the rivalries are within divisions.

• Moderators

You're right that the deal sucks in terms of talent they got back. But saying it's meaningless to trade a superstar to a division foe isn't true. You don't psychologically do that to your fanbase or to your own organization. I don't have to go into the facts of how much more intimate the rivalries are within divisions.

There is no hard and fast rule on this. Both of you make solid points but the fact is that reasonable minds can and do differ about the implications of trading within the division. Orlando clearly thinks it is significant and whether that is reasonable or not isn't at all an important question for the Hawks. The only thing that matters is that he wasn't available to us because we are based in the SE.

Thanks but no thanks. Had Superman came here, both he and Josh would have left after the season to join JJ to form their own "Super Team" and we would have been left with nothing. Maybe they got nothing much - - I really hope so - - and Atlanta may whip up on them. Take that and that and that - For not allowing us to sign Superman. That can be our battle cry with them. If it is, I'm personally glad we didn't get him.

The only problem i had with that situation is that they didnt even let Ferry in on the deal. Orlando was not very smart. Who cares what division he goes to when you have a brand new arena that needs to be filled. Id rather lose to dwight led Hawks 4 times a year then to make a trade like they did and lose to everyone for the next 5-8 years.

• Like 2

• Moderators

The only problem i had with that situation is that they didnt even let Ferry in on the deal. Orlando was not very smart. Who cares what division he goes to when you have a brand new arena that needs to be filled. Id rather lose to dwight led Hawks 4 times a year then to make a trade like they did and lose to everyone for the next 5-8 years.

Personally, if I had a deal for 2 late first picks for Lebron from Orlando or another offer for 1 late first and 1 late second round pick for Lebron from Houston, I would deal with Houston even it was inferior. I suspect Orlando didn't see any deal they thought would make them winners in the short term so they shipped him out of the division and are planning to lottery dive in the hopes of their next Shaq, Dwight, Penny, etc. lottery luck fest.

There is no hard and fast rule on this. Both of you make solid points but the fact is that reasonable minds can and do differ about the implications of trading within the division. Orlando clearly thinks it is significant and whether that is reasonable or not isn't at all an important question for the Hawks. The only thing that matters is that he wasn't available to us because we are based in the SE.

But there is a pretty certain rule that states when you trade a superstar, you rarely get close to equal value in return. It's not that often that superstars are traded for another superstar. So even if they traded with us and acquired Horford, they are still a marginal playoff team on top of having to see Dwight come into their building many times a year and more than likely, embarrass your team. There's no given that would be the case but putting your organization and fans into the possibility of having to go through that is a certainty any smart gm that values his/her job wouldn't want to be in.
  • Like 1

But there is a pretty certain rule that states when you trade a superstar, you rarely get close to equal value in return. It's not that often that superstars are traded for another superstar. So even if they traded with us and acquired Horford, they are still a marginal playoff team on top of having to see Dwight come into their building many times a year and more than likely, embarrass your team. There's no given that would be the case but putting your organization and fans into the possibility of having to go through that is a certainty any smart gm that values his/her job wouldn't want to be in.

Yeah but the Orlando fans already know that their management and ownership stink. At least instead of losing 4 times a year to Dwight you're not losing to everyone for the next 5 - 8 years as Tonegully suggested.

Yeah but the Orlando fans already know that their management and ownership stink. At least instead of losing 4 times a year to Dwight you're not losing to everyone for the next 5 - 8 years as Tonegully suggested.

If the Magic tank for Wiggins next year, it won't be nearly that long until they're relevant...

• Moderators

Denver got the better end of their deal with NY, IMO. Utah did quite well trading Deron as well. I think a reasonable mind could decide that it is worth more to get more value than it is to try to save face on a trade of your best player.

Denver got the better end of their deal with NY, IMO. Utah did quite well trading Deron as well. I think a reasonable mind could decide that it is worth more to get more value than it is to try to save face on a trade of your best player.

We may have learned that Carmelo is no superstar too with that trade. Centers that impact the game like Dwight are not as common and are more valuable than one dimensional guys like Carmelo. Still, no other offers were going to make them relevant contenders for the playoffs. The main point of this thread is assuming more distaste for Orlando's not giving Atlanta serious consideration. I am just defending their logic to not want to trade within the division, not that they made the best possible trade. Unless there was an offer on the table where they were getting close to equal value in return from a team within their own division, I still say who can blame them for what they did considering Dwight was playing his chess pieces the way he was? Dwight is the one I feel distaste for being a prima donna during a lot of this fiasco.

• Moderators

We may have learned that Carmelo is no superstar too with that trade. Centers that impact the game like Dwight are not as common and are more valuable than one dimensional guys like Carmelo. Still, no other offers were going to make them relevant contenders for the playoffs. The main point of this thread is assuming more distaste for Orlando's not giving Atlanta serious consideration. I am just defending their logic to not want to trade within the division, not that they made the best possible trade. Unless there was an offer on the table where they were getting close to equal value in return from a team within their own division, I still say who can blame them for what they did considering Dwight was playing his chess pieces the way he was? Dwight is the one I feel distaste for being a prima donna during a lot of this fiasco.

I don't disagree with your arguments. I just think that reasonable minds can and do differ on this. Taking a lesser deal to avoid Dwight is prioritizing PR and team image in the community over the product on the floor. I think reasonable people can and do come down on both sides of that issue. The issue of whether they got the best deal once they decided not to trade with Atlanta is an entirely separate one.