• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

PG Question

Dragitoff

Let's say we do not get all our wishes granted by Chris Paul and Dwight Howard to come to Atlanta, but they do get Dwight Howard. Would Atlanta possibly be in a better position to re-sign Devin Harris and use the money saved to go after another solid vet? I know most feel it's a foregone conclusion that Teague is the man unless we could net a Rondo or Paul, but Harris is a savy, although injury prone vet, that could run our offense and the P&R with Al and isn't afraid to shoot the 3 if he has the chance which plays well into any offense centered around Dwight Howard.

It's just a thought.....

• Moderators

If we sign Dwight, I want a better shooter and player than Harris. I don't have faith he can hold up physically over larger minutes and was not impressed with him as anything but a backup PG this season.

• Moderators

I may have misread the OP, but I think he was suggesting that we might not bring back Teague if we can sign Harris to a decent deal thus it isn't necessarily a foregone conclusion that we resign JT.

• Moderators

I loved what Dev brought to the team and would love to have him back, but the problem with Dev is that he lives on offense by getting to the hoop and if we have a guy like Howard then the lane isn't going to be as open as it was with Horford there. With that said, I still would like him back as our backup PG because I feel Lou plays better off the ball, although that it's a dangerous game to play to ask an injury-prone guy to be your backup PG. It's like having a car w/ an oil leak as a backup vehicle. I'd take Dev back to a bench guy not a starter, but he'll probably price himself out of being a bench guy.

My vote goes to resigning Teague and use Lou as our backup PG. Then draft a PG with one of our first round picks and comb him to be our full time backup PG.

Also, if we sign Dwight, it's almost set in stone that Josh will be resigned which will eat up most of the remaining cap space. Josh won't get max money like Paul would and honestly, I think Josh's worth is equal to about Horford's.

C - Dwight Howard @ $17 mil

PF - Al Horford @ $12.0 mil

SF - Josh Smith @ $13.0 mil

SG - Kyle Korver @ $4.25 mil

PG - Jeff Teague @ $3.5 mil (qualifying offer)

Total for starters: ~$50 mil (will be more because of Teague's likely 'poison pill' deal, probably around $56 mil).

Bench:

G - Lou Williams @ $5.225 mil

SG - John Jenkins @ $1.258 mil

C - Zaza Pachulia @ $2.75 mil (my estimate)

PF - Ivan Johnson @ $1.2 mil

PF - Mike Scott @ $0.79 mil

1st round pick (G) @ $1.3 mil

1st round pick © @ $1.2 mil

FA SF Pickup @ $1.3 mil

2nd Round choice @ $0.4 mil

Total for bench: $15.423 mil

Total for team: ~$70 mil

Looking at this, it makes our two first round picks look even more important. Ferry has to get value from those picks to add scoring depth to the bench. Lou and Jenkins aren't enough. We'd have the MLE and BAE to play with too.

I don't like Korver starting at all. Give me a spot up shooter than can play D over him. Players like Francisco Garcia that are likely cheaper as well.

I wouldn't mind Calderon if we can't get CP3 and get Dwight. He is really good at giving the ball to the players in the spots that they like. He is an elite shooter too. I know people talk about his lack of defense, but his D is not any worse than Harris' IMO.

• Moderators

I don't like Korver starting at all. Give me a spot up shooter than can play D over him. Players like Francisco Garcia that are likely cheaper as well.

I wouldn't mind Calderon if we can't get CP3 and get Dwight. He is really good at giving the ball to the players in the spots that they like. He is an elite shooter too. I know people talk about his lack of defense, but his D is not any worse than Harris' IMO.

I love Calderon too, but the problem is how much will he want and his age is a factor too. He made $9.7 mil from the Pistons/Raptors last season, so I wonder what his price will be. Probably about the same as Dev. Calderon and Dev are the type of guys that will be signed through MLE next season.

• Like 1

I loved what Dev brought to the team and would love to have him back, but the problem with Dev is that he lives on offense by getting to the hoop and if we have a guy like Howard then the lane isn't going to be as open as it was with Horford there. With that said, I still would like him back as our backup PG because I feel Lou plays better off the ball, although that it's a dangerous game to play to ask an injury-prone guy to be your backup PG. It's like having a car w/ an oil leak as a backup vehicle. I'd take Dev back to a bench guy not a starter, but he'll probably price himself out of being a bench guy.

My vote goes to resigning Teague and use Lou as our backup PG. Then draft a PG with one of our first round picks and comb him to be our full time backup PG.

Also, if we sign Dwight, it's almost set in stone that Josh will be resigned which will eat up most of the remaining cap space. Josh won't get max money like Paul would and honestly, I think Josh's worth is equal to about Horford's.

C - Dwight Howard @ $17 mil

PF - Al Horford @ $12.0 mil

SF - Josh Smith @ $13.0 mil

SG - Kyle Korver @ $4.25 mil

PG - Jeff Teague @ $3.5 mil (qualifying offer)

Total for starters: ~$50 mil (will be more because of Teague's likely 'poison pill' deal, probably around $56 mil).

Bench:

G - Lou Williams @ $5.225 mil

SG - John Jenkins @ $1.258 mil

C - Zaza Pachulia @ $2.75 mil (my estimate)

PF - Ivan Johnson @ $1.2 mil

PF - Mike Scott @ $0.79 mil

1st round pick (G) @ $1.3 mil

1st round pick © @ $1.2 mil

FA SF Pickup @ $1.3 mil

2nd Round choice @ $0.4 mil

Total for bench: $15.423 mil

Total for team: ~$70 mil

Looking at this, it makes our two first round picks look even more important. Ferry has to get value from those picks to add scoring depth to the bench. Lou and Jenkins aren't enough. We'd have the MLE and BAE to play with too.

I disagree that Josh would have to be re-signed to get Dwight. Granted, that's a possibility, but I don't think it's a pre-requisite. I think Dwight works best when he has shooters around him. Josh, despite what he thinks of himself, is not a shooter. I like Korver starting because of that.

I posted in the trade section about us getting Rondo from Boston rather than re-signing Teague or going hard after Chris Paul. Rondo is an elite defender, a playmaker, coming off injury (so he's a risk, but his value is lower now), and he's friends with Dwight. Unfortunately, he's not a good shooter so that hurts some when considering Howard.

I love Calderon too, but the problem is how much will he want and his age is a factor too. He made $9.7 mil from the Pistons/Raptors last season, so I wonder what his price will be. Probably about the same as Dev. Calderon and Dev are the type of guys that will be signed through MLE next season.

Yup. The difference is Harris' games relies more on athleticism that he is losing now that he is older. I see Calderon staying the same for a while. Not to mention Calderon is arguably the best shooter in the game (His efficiency is off the charts). Definitely better value.

PSSH do you see what i'm saying with Korver? We could possibly get Garcia and Barnes for the same price as Korver. Defense matters, and Korver's defense is not gonna cut it as we have seen in the playoffs. Garcia and Barnes (and even Wright) are hard nosed defenders that shoot extremely well.

Edited by GameTime

• Moderators

Yup. The difference is Harris' games relies more on athleticism that he is losing now that he is older. I see Calderon staying the same for a while. Not to mention Calderon is arguably the best shooter in the game (His efficiency is off the charts). Definitely better value.

PSSH do you see what i'm saying with Korver? We could possibly get Garcia and Barnes for the same price as Korver. Defense matters, and Korver's defense is not gonna cut it as we have seen in the playoffs. Garcia and Barnes (and even Wright) are hard nosed defenders that shoot extremely well.

Losing Korver wouldn't hurt as bad because he is such a 1D player, but I can't say anything on Garcia as I don't know much about him (other than he is Dominican which Horford would probably like). Barnes (I'm guessing you mean Matt Barnes) is solid defensively and we could get him for pennies on the dollar. Korver's three ball could be replaced with Jenkin's. The thing about Korver is he's 6'6" opposed to Jenkin's who is 6'3" and Korver can play both the 2 and 3. Also, I love the leadership that Korver gives the team which is another thing my lineup is missing and he has a year of playing in Atlanta under his belt which Garcia and Barnes does not. Korver's defense would be better if he had Howard/Horford/Smith behind him. Honestly, his stupid, ticky-tack fouls pissed me off more than his defense did. If we were to get CP3, I could see Barnes following him to Atlanta.

I'd be interested in Calderon but I'm not sure Ferry will be because of his age. I believe Ferry is looking to make a contender that will last 6-8 seasons and I doubt Calderon has that left. Teague will be 25 by the start of the season while Calderon will be 32. Teague has shown to be a good combo guard this past season and believe he will only get better. We just got to get him a different set of coaches around him.

Another thing on Barnes, whenever I think of him, I always go back to this:

Posted Image

• Like 1

Losing Korver wouldn't hurt as bad because he is such a 1D player, but I can't say anything on Garcia as I don't know much about him (other than he is Dominican which Horford would probably like). Barnes (I'm guessing you mean Matt Barnes) is solid defensively and we could get him for pennies on the dollar. Korver's three ball could be replaced with Jenkin's. The thing about Korver is he's 6'6" opposed to Jenkin's who is 6'3" and Korver can play both the 2 and 3. Also, I love the leadership that Korver gives the team which is another thing my lineup is missing and he has a year of playing in Atlanta under his belt which Garcia and Barnes does not. Korver's defense would be better if he had Howard/Horford/Smith behind him. Honestly, his stupid, ticky-tack fouls pissed me off more than his defense did. If we were to get CP3, I could see Barnes following him to Atlanta.

I'd be interested in Calderon but I'm not sure Ferry will be because of his age. I believe Ferry is looking to make a contender that will last 6-8 seasons and I doubt Calderon has that left. Teague will be 25 by the start of the season while Calderon will be 32. Teague has shown to be a good combo guard this past season and believe he will only get better. We just got to get him a different set of coaches around him.

Another thing on Barnes, whenever I think of him, I always go back to this:

Posted Image

Garcia is a great shooter who is a really good defender. Rockets fans called him a rich man's Shane Battier. Very impressed with how he handled Durant in the playoffs this year.

Calderon is definitely a stop-gap PG for 2-3 years, but a very good one. Even if we keep Teague I think he can be a very solid back-up.

• Like 1

Jack is a better shooter and defender than both. More likely cheaper as well.

I forgot about Jack! I'd love to have him in our uniform, as he would bring experience and the right locker room presence, attitude, plus, I believe that he would strongly consider Hawks because of his roots...