• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Neatest thing ever.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Just watched a news item about the Seattle Sound MLS team. One thing that I came away with is that every 4 years, the fans decide if the Manager gets to keep his job by voting.

I said to myself, how great that would be if it were implemented in the NBA.

Can you imagine if the Hawks organization gave each GM 4 years and then they were voted on by the fans if they could get another 4 years? A guy like Danny Ferry wouldn't waste time with a coach who couldn't get it done. He would fire said coach and bring in somebody who could.

Or what if THE VOTE only applied to coaches? Here's the deal, a coach would be picked by the GM and he has 4 years to please the fans. I think something like that would be both good and bad for a coach. More good than bad. A coach would have 4 yrs to make it happen.

When I think about it, it makes me wonder about the nature of the coach/GM. Do you need both?

• Moderators

Honestly, I think a team ran by the fans would just get ran into the ground. Their is a reason why Ferry is the GM; just as their is a reason why guys get voted to presidency. I really don't trust the common Joe fan to understand anything on how an NBA organization is ran. If the Head Coach decision was left up to the fans this offseason, we'd have some half-wit with a name, like Mike Brown or Brian Shaw. No one in Atlanta would have voted Budenholzer and I believe he could become the second best coach ever for us behind Lenny. There are just some things best left to the professionals.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

What a horrible idea. I've seen basically the same thing happen at A&M where the boosters have pretty much decided to fire and hire coaches and guys aren't given a fair shot like that.

Well, the fans have no choice in who gets hired. They only choose when the top guy gets fired. When you think about it, right now, that position is held by talk radio (basically). Sports radio complain enough about any coach and soon enough, he will be fired.

• Moderators

The fans should have zero choice in who gets hired. An NBA franchise is a business entity... You don't see loyal Wal Mart customers voting for who should be the new store manager. There are two sides of the coin when it comes to business: The people who sell the product and those who consume it. Ferry can't force fans to come to the games so why should we be able to force a head coach on him. One of best things about Ferry and Bud is the deep understanding and relationship they have. They trust each other. People who are forced to work together don't have that type of connection. Hell, common Joe idiots voted Obama's ass into office and look what that got us...

• Premium Member

The fans should have zero choice in who gets hired. An NBA franchise is a business entity... You don't see loyal Wal Mart customers voting for who should be the new store manager. There are two sides of the coin when it comes to business: The people who sell the product and those who consume it. Ferry can't force fans to come to the games so why should we be able to force a head coach on him. One of best things about Ferry and Bud is the deep understanding and relationship they have. They trust each other. People who are forced to work together don't have that type of connection. Hell, common Joe idiots voted Obama's ass into office and look what that got us...

First off, the fans don't decide who the team PICKS as it's new coach. The fans gives a vote of confidence to the guy that's already there. If we have had Bud for 4 years and he's f------ up. The fans can vote him out. Whereas Ferry may keep him in because he's comfortable. As far as WalMart, the costumers vote everyday. They vote by going. If people all the sudden stop going to one Walmart and started going to another one across town, you can guarantee that the one Walmart's manager would be fired or retrained. Walmart still has the option of hiring who they want. Just like any owner would still have the option to hire who he wants.