• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tonight's game v. Warriors

frosgrim

While I'm not at the level of Lethal in creating game threads, tonight's match-up will be interesting for the Hawks.

This is the first post-Horford injury game against a winning NBA team. I'll be interested to see how well the Hawks can play against that ridiculous back court of Curry and Thompson (one of my favorite NBA players). The Warriors have a rugged front line in Lee and Bogot (who seems to be healthy~ish).

The positives for the Hawks

1) We are at home

2) we are coming off a needed 3 day rest

3) The Warriors are at game three of an east coast swing. Plus they played the Heat last night.

Problems:

1) The Warriors can score in numerous ways, but it is all triggered by Curry and to a lesser extent Thompson. We suck at perimeter defense.

2) We have no go-to scorer. Al was emerging, but that is over for the season. Milsap is trying to pull his best beast mode, but he's going to get double-teamed the rest of the season. Can guys like Teague and Korver step-up and make shots that get taken away from Milsap? I guess we'll see.

3) Rebounding: Ugh. Bogut and Lee hit the boards. We counter with a good boarder in Milsap and a 34 year old Brand. Gus might get some PT just to try and see if the guy can start to replicate what he did over the summer in international play.

Just my thoughts on tonight's game.

• Like 1

As evidenced by last night, Bud's gonna have to come up with something pretty inventive to keep Curry off th three point line and limit his assist opportunities. They have improved a lot defensively with Iggy, but they still shouldn't be able to keep us from 110. I don't expect us to win, but I just don't want to get embarrassed by shawty. It may sound farfetched and premature, but he's easily one of the most skilled players ever. He's taken mastering dribble, shoot, and pass fundamentals to an obsessive level.

Edited by benhillboy

As evidenced by last night, Bud's gonna have to come up with something pretty inventive to keep Curry off th three point line and limit his assist opportunities. They have improved a lot defensively with Iggy, but they still shouldn't be able to keep us from 110. I don't expect us to win, but I just don't want to get embarrassed by shawty. It may sound farfetched and premature, but he's easily one of the most skilled players ever. He's taken mastering dribble, shoot, and pass fundamentals to an obsessive level.

With a team coming into Phillips on the back end of a back-to-back I would normally say run them. However, you get into an up and down the court game with the Warriors and you play right into their strengths. The Hawks should run, but selectively. If at all possible they need to bang down low on the block to take the air out of the ball and wear the Warriors' bigs down.

You're right about Curry the guy is simply amazing. He's going to get his 30+, the Hawks just have to make him work for it. Teague better bring his A+ game tonight.

I like our chances against the Warriors tonight. Not only because they are on the 3rd game of a season long 7 game eastern swing and a back to back coming off Miami, and not only because we rested a few days. Mainly because the Warriors haven't won in San Antonio since 1997. They have a hard time defending Spurs style ball and aren't we Spurs East? GOOOO HAWKS!!!!

I like our chances against the Warriors tonight. Not only because they are on the 3rd game of a season long 7 game eastern swing and a back to back coming off Miami, and not only because we rested a few days. Mainly because the Warriors haven't won in San Antonio since 1997. They have a hard time defending Spurs style ball and aren't we Spurs East? GOOOO HAWKS!!!!

Lol - I like your thinking!

A little more from C-Viv on tonight's game. Pero is starting at center, but read below: Pero's never played center Posted Image

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-hawks/2014/jan/03/game-thread-Antić-start-vs-warriors/ Game thread: Antić to start vs. Warriors

By Chris Vivlamore

Pero Antić will get his first start of the season - the lastest move as the Hawks look to replace Al Horford at center.

Antić will start with the regular group of Jeff Teague, Kyle Korver, DeMarre Carroll and Paul Millsap.

"I think we are still trying to find our groups," Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said. "What bench guys work well together and what starters work well together. We like pulling (Andrew) Bogut away from the basket but if we were playing (any other team) we might start Pero tonight."

Antić said he rarely played center during his European career - mostly power forward and even some small forward - but is willing to do whatever the Hawks request.

"I'm adjusting," Antić said. "I've never really played the 5 in my career. I am adjusting to that, trying to set screens and get rebounds. We have a lot of shooters on our team. I'm just trying to grab rebounds, play good defense in the low post, set good screens and try to knock down open shots when I have them. Whatever it takes to win."

* I will update the blog later this afternoon but wanted to get you this news first.

Need a little help. Has anybody ever seen a player use a dribbling head fake at the three point line and get guys to bite every time? I can't think of anybody since the line was invented. Cousy probably could.

Edited by benhillboy