• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pendleton, Smoltz: Gwynn's passing 'sad' day

Hawksquawk

After hearing about Gwynn passing, I figured I'd watch a few baseball games to hear stories about him. I was at his last game against the Astros way back when, kind of strange because I didn't live in Houston at the time but made a trip back to visit and it happened to coincide with that game. The Astros had a big gift for him and his charity and the crowd adored him. A real great guy, I think he got a standing ovation after a double that may have been some special milestone. I had a great time.

I used to be a huge baseball fan, but over the years I drifted away for various reasons. I don't think I've fully watched a game from my couch in 7+ years. I'm getting flashbacks of why I enjoyed this game so much, and the broadcast are so much better without Joe Morgan. It's strange that Tony Gwynn got me to watch again, and I doubt I will become a die-hard fan again, but I'm thoroughly enjoying this.

Correction, no milestone. He got a pinch hit and had a standing ovation. Real strange feeling in the crowd as Houston was still upset about the Padres knocking them out of the playoffs in 1998. This was in 2001. Probably happened because the Astros had a comfortable lead that game. Still a cool memory for me.