• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Player Development as an Asset

curtmcgirt

First off, the Spurs didn't go out and get their big three. They drafted their big three and Manu was a second rounder and Parker was a late first rounder. That means that they came in with Salary control and the Spurs could have gotten who they wanted with them. As they got older, they still didn't require a max salary or close because they had already bought in... I mean, even now:

Parker = 12.5 Mill

Duncan = 10.3 Mill

Ginobili = 7 Mill.

By NBA standards, these guys are severely underpaid. That's about 30 Million total. They can sign who they want.

I thought the primary discussion is about player development of the young players to supplement the Big 3.

• Premium Member

I disagree with you @Diesel that they can't have young guys and still win.  With the Big 3 structure it's imperative they you draft/develop young guys to contribute.  Like the Spurs with Leonard and guys like Green.

1.  Spurs got money.  There was room to pay Green and Leonard.   Heat Salary structure was what a normal big three looks like.  3 guys taking up more than 45 Million in salary.  Spurs = 3 guys at 30 Million.

2.  Usually young guys don't win championships.  Old guys do.  Which of you would trade out Ray Allen for Justin Halmilton?  What about Mike Miller for Dexter Pittman.

I don't disagree with you that they should be willing to trade some of these older guys like Haslem away.  However, you can't fault them for striking while the iron is hot because that's what big three teams do.  San Antonio is a development Center no doubt.  However, without Duncan, they are nothing.  It's easy to develop players when you have the most prolific big since Kareem.

• Premium Member

I thought the primary discussion is about player development of the young players to supplement the Big 3.

At some point in that discussion, you have to look at Money.

How are we "supplementing"?  It's definitely not through the draft.  We're supplementing by acquiring players in FAcy.  Meaning that for us, Cap is a factor.  When you look at SA, cap hasn't really been a factor because they do everything on the cheap.

That's one aspect of the primary discussion, and @Diesel showed the end result of good drafting and development. Parker and Ginobli coming in and becoming developed parts of the "new" big 3 of which Duncan was the constant.

1.  Spurs got money.  There was room to pay Green and Leonard.   Heat Salary structure was what a normal big three looks like.  3 guys taking up more than 45 Million in salary.  Spurs = 3 guys at 30 Million.

All Im reading from this is that RC Buford is a better GM than Pat Riley. 

2.  Usually young guys don't win championships.  Old guys do.  Which of you would trade out Ray Allen for Justin Halmilton?  What about Mike Miller for Dexter Pittman.

Not as the main guy they don't, but as supporting team mates they should be ready to step in when needed to fill a role. 

I don't disagree with you that they should be willing to trade some of these older guys like Haslem away.  However, you can't fault them for striking while the iron is hot because that's what big three teams do.  San Antonio is a development Center no doubt.  However, without Duncan, they are nothing.  It's easy to develop players when you have the most prolific big since Kareem.

If every player gets a little bit better, and for some of the young guys it may be more than a little better, and that's what Budz system does.....collectively we could be a lot better. That's hopeful. And hope has not been a normal thing around here over the years

• Like 4

That's what sustained the Braves for years. Their farm club. On the other hand UGAs former D coord didn't know how to develop young talent. It's essential to building and sustaining a program

The Braves also get better talent than the Hawks generally speaking. 

• Premium Member

The Braves also get better talent than the Hawks generally speaking.

That is BS. This is OT - but the braves spent money foolishly and are paying the price right now. They had players severely underperform with 2 major contracts. Exactly the opposite of what Ferry is doing.