• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diaw a starter? AJC Article.

Playmaker0017

Before the Hawks played the Milwaukee Bucks on Tuesday, Hawks coach Terry Stotts made it sound like Dion Glover's starting job was secure --- at least for that game. But after the Hawks were run off the floor 106-94 --- dropping the team's record to 6-13 --- Stotts didn't sound averse to mixing things up and possibly ushering in rookie Boris Diaw over Dion.

"I'm not ruling anything out," Stotts said after practice Wednesday. "Anything is possible. I'm not going to say 'Yes' or 'No' to anything right now. I won't make a decision on starting lineups until I have to. We'll see how things go."

While Glover has struggled to his find his rhythm and his shot of late, Diaw has been steadily improving. In the past four games, Diaw, a 6-foot-8 swingman, is averaging six points, five rebounds and two assists in 22.5 minutes. He also is shooting 47.8 percent from the floor (11 for 23).

"I try to hold back less and less each game," said Diaw, who played professionally in France for three years before the Hawks picked him No. 21 in the NBA draft last summer. "I feel more and more comfortable."

Diaw scored seven points and snatched a career-high nine rebounds in 31 minutes off the bench in the loss against the Bucks. He had eight offensive rebounds, giving the Hawks extra possessions and giving himself easy buckets --- like when he caught a Stephen Jackson airball and sent down a two-handed alley-oop slam.

"We rely on him," Stotts said. "His role is to play hard when he's on the court. The way the team is right now, the players that are productive probably will get more time."

Stotts has been giving Diaw more time of late. When the season began, Diaw looked afraid to shoot and too willing to pass, which often caught his unsuspecting teammates off guard. In his first five games, Diaw had four shot attempts, five assists and 10 turnovers.

"I felt like he was trying to fit in," Stotts said. "I'm not sure when it exactly was . . . but all of the coaches talked to him about being more aggressive at both ends of the floor. I think he has taken it to heart."

Diaw got his first career start against the Toronto Raptors last week after Jackson went down with an ankle injury. He had a career-high eight points, with four rebounds and three assists in 34 minutes.

"Too many times, people get caught up in whether he's shooting and not shooting," Stotts said. "He just needs to keep being aggressive and he will make plays. He's learning gradually what the NBA game is like and what he needs to do."

Diaw is learning when to pass and when to dunk, but his teammates are trying to get him to pass on the Dunkin' Donuts. Diaw and fellow rookie Travis Hansen have to buy the team doughnuts before home shootarounds. Diaw, however, isn't making many friends on the team because he picks up a few dozen from the Dunkin' Donuts in CNN Center.

"They're not so happy because I don't find Krispy Kreme. They want Krispy Kreme," Diaw said. "I like the Dunkin' Donuts. What's wrong with them?

"I don't know where the Krispy Kreme store is," he said. "I have to find one."

We felt like this was coming though Stotts was telling us differently before the Bucks game, and certainly Dion didn't do anything to instill confidence after that game.

Here is our recap of the game, with a section that says that the time of Dion losing the job was coming, quickly...

http://hawks.realgm.com/showarticle.php?artid=385

Dion is clearly doing the same things that made him ineffective at the beginning of last season, and has abandoned the things he was doing to instill the surprising trust that Stotts had for him at the end of the season.

Well, I am certainly not an elite athlete but I do train and compete in various running races and triathlons and I know improving my diet gives me more energy, better performance and faster recovery. Sure, they may not get fat on junk food because they exercise so much/have high metabolisms but they are not going to build muscle mass on that stuff either. I am pretty sure SAR is big into eating right and I know many NFL players are clueing in on this as well.

Probably making a bigger deal of it then it really is, I imagine the donuts thing is more rookie hazing then anything else.

EDS,

The difference is that you aren't a professional athlete. They aren't home a lot. They practice a lot. They don't know how or don't want to cook. Most guys are young and unmarried, so they don't want to stay at home.

There are a variety of reasons.

Reef used to be pretty bad, and was often at McDs... but since he got married I think he became a vegetarian or something. But, since being married, I know that his diet would have changed.

Again, you are right... it isn't a big deal. But, it is also true that most guys don't eat healthy.

Play.

Jay,

Nope, I didn't read it. Although I loved these comments:

“I think I have been playing alright, my shot hasn’t been falling like it was, but it’s a long season. Just trying to get my rhythm right. I might have been pressing a little early on, but that’s just me trying to get involved. We hadn’t played together all summer because of the free agency and we’re just trying to get it together again.”

--- his shot hasn't been falling like it was? When WAS it falling? In what alternate reality was Dion Glover's shot falling? The guy has shot 40% and below ALL season! That isn't falling --- EVER.

“I don’t really feel pressure. Just trying to get my timing better and I am not worried about it. When you’re struggling you have to get to the line, and by the time April rolls around, I’ll be back up to my usual levels. You could be cold today and be the hottest player in the league in December.”

--- Usual levels? What is this? I CAN'T wait until Dion pulls himself up to that ASTOUNDING 41% that he USUALLY shoots. Hey, Dion, you rode the bench USUALLY ... we need more than what you USUALLY bring. Idiot.

“We gotta grow up, man. We have to come out and just play. We did not have that extra energy it takes to play defense. I’m a competitor and I want to win, but we got to do this together. We all have to soul search to find that burning desire.”

--- Who is this guy talking about? He keeps blaming everyone else. Sorry bub, but most of the blame lays on your shoulders. Putting up nice numbers in the closing minutes of a blowout don't count. Also.... this guy says WE need to grow up so much, that he ought to be 120 by now.

Play.