• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What needs to happen in order for Sap and Horford to coexist together?

JTB

• Moderators

So if I get what your saying your point is that we should throw big money to the next best big man in free agency.....Marc gasol for example

Hmmmmm....while that tandem would be better overall of with Marc and horford Marc and sap, I still see an early playoff exit even with one of the top 5 centers being on this team.

Personally I wouldn't go after a top 5 center. I know that sounds crazy but I rather go with your first idea and keep our bigs, add an elite wing player but what elite wing player are we going to get? Lol

Marc Gasol is the type of center you make a contender with and Gasol/Horford would be a strong frontcourt and would attract a SF/SG to the Hawks.  Let's say Wesley Matthews, Aaron Afflalo, or Rudy Gay, then you have to think that team would be a legit threat to make the ECF.  Even if we don't get Gasol, the 2015 center free agent class is stacked.

The Hawks will have ~$20 mil in cap space for 2015.  Gay won't be getting anything near what he is making now and Matthews/Afflalo could be had for ~$7 mil.  We could end up with Gay at $10 mil/yr and Vucevic at $9 mil.  A lot of options for the Hawks and good chance we'll steal a starter next offseason.  Who knows what will happen...

Klay Thompson is also a free agent, but GS will likely max him.

Marc Gasol is the type of center you make a contender with and Gasol/Horford would be a strong frontcourt and would attract a SF/SG to the Hawks. Let's say Wesley Matthews, Aaron Afflalo, or Rudy Gay, then you have to think that team would be a legit threat to make the ECF. Even if we don't get Gasol, the 2015 center free agent class is stacked.

The Hawks will have ~$20 mil in cap space for 2015. Gay won't be getting anything near what he is making now and Matthews/Afflalo could be had for ~$7 mil. We could end up with Gay at $10 mil/yr and Vucevic at $9 mil. A lot of options for the Hawks and good chance we'll steal a starter next offseason. Who knows what will happen...

Klay Thompson is also a free agent, but GS will likely max him.

I see where your going with this....a true center along with horford is attractable to good wing players...and Atlanta could be contenders for a ECF! Hmmmm I like, I like......

Hope it happens! Lol

The topic question is not being answered.

Listing players we'd like to trade for or sign in free agency is just that.

Just saying.

The season is about to start, the roster is set (at least until the trade deadline).

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Just saying.

The season is about to start, the roster is set (at least until the trade deadline).

True but I knew it wouldn't be answered....I'm done with trying to get a answer. There's just some that's going to hate this tandem or think they will under achieve.

I will admit that some posters make sense on why they don't think sap and horford can work then there's others that don't make sense at all.

My biggest fear is defense for sap and horford but then I think about it and there aren't a lot of scoring centers to worry about however sap will have his hands full....so what's the real fear in a sap/horford combo?

REBOUNDS

I do believe in team rebounding but I must admit unless Teague and Korver can help more on the boards it's up to the front court and this is where this tandem of sap/horford lack the size more so than the skill set.

sap/horford offense- can be good to great consistently

Sap/horford defense- can be average to good on most nights

Sap/horford rebounding- unfortunately poor on most nights probably and the hawks will rank in the mid 20s in rebounding yet again.

We need a rebounder who can come off the bench and grab a shit load of boards or a starting SG and SF that can help. I think a unit of baze and DMC can help greatly on the boards if given the chance.

Anyways rebounding is really the only issue with the sap/horford tandem.

• Moderators

Just saying.

I answered the question in my original post... I said Durant in 2016 and by that I mean for the tandem to work, we need an elite SF. Having Lebron is why the Heat got away with not having a dominant frontcourt. Since we don't have Lebron or Durant, Horford/Sap have to be broken up to improve past second round exits. Yes, the league is getting smaller, but the teams that consistently get to the CF's have big centers. To get to the ECF, we need Gasol or the next best thing... Hell, I'd consider clumsy Hibbert for the right price... And don't take this as me hating on our guys. I'm just stating that for us to improve, we cannot go forward with them as our 4/5. I'd be open to bringing Sap back to our 3, but I wonder if he is a good fit there...

• Moderators

As for this season, I really don't see anything they can do to make me "reluctant" to trade one of them. They aren't going to magically become bigger, start playing better defense, rebound the ball better, and score at will... They are who they are... Only thing I would say is one of them needs to get their butt under the glass and keep it there. We are way too perimeter.