• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jon Lester Braves

• 2 weeks later...

What's interesting is that when the Lester rumors started a guy on the radio said the Braves were doing it for show and really had no intention of signing him.

OMG, I was thinking the same thing at the time but figured it was my post-JHey trade anti-Brave sentiment talking.

They knew what the price was likely going to be before even calling Lester.  So two days or w/e after the trade they throw this meeting out there for show.  Shameless.

OMG, I was thinking the same thing at the time but figured it was my post-JHey trade anti-Brave sentiment talking.

They knew what the price was likely going to be before even calling Lester. So two days or w/e after the trade they throw this meeting out there for show. Shameless.

It seems as if the sentiment and focus is 2017 and moving to Cobb County. So its whatever for right now. They are doing things for appearance only (so says the radio guys). Edited by JayBirdHawk

It seems as if the sentiment and focus is 2017 and moving to Cobb County. So its whatever for right now. They are doing things for appearance only (so says the radio guys).

Seems so.  Sigh.

I am a HUGE fan of Lester and he's the top pitcher on the market IMO since he is a big game pitcher and one of, it not the best world series starter ever. I think his ERA is less than half a point in the world series. If a team can get him on a 4-5 year deal he'll be a steal. 6 years or more and it's not a good deal at all. But he also doesn't have a draft pick attached to him so he's a really nice option. 

And just putting it out there but so far I've been right with the Yankees about Robertson and Miller and I truly believe that we're going to swoop in and steal Lester today or tomorrow. 

@Dolfan

You know your Yankees are going all-in on Sherzer smile3.gif

In years past there would have been no doubt in my mind. But this year we actually let a home grown talent leave just so we could get a 1st round pick for him. Cashman seems dedicated to getting younger and wanting early draft picks as surprise surprise those turn into high level prospects. Only took him 20 years to figure it out... but I digress. There's a chance we let DRob go to get that extra 1st so that we could still have a 1st and get Scherzer but since he's a Boras client and will cost a fortune I'm not convinced. 

BTW you gotta put the whole name (e.g. Dolfan23) in order for the @mention to work @frosgrim

In years past there would have been no doubt in my mind. But this year we actually let a home grown talent leave just so we could get a 1st round pick for him. Cashman seems dedicated to getting younger and wanting early draft picks as surprise surprise those turn into high level prospects. Only took him 20 years to figure it out... but I digress. There's a chance we let DRob go to get that extra 1st so that we could still have a 1st and get Scherzer but since he's a Boras client and will cost a fortune I'm not convinced. 

BTW you gotta put the whole name (e.g. Dolfan23) in order for the @mention to work @frosgrim

The quote thing seems to be hit or miss, but good info on the whole user name, makes sense.

RE: Scherzer, he actually would be a nice fit for the Yankees. I doubt Boston gets into the bidding for him, so it really comes down to the Yankees, GIants (since they were in on Lester), and maybe the Dogers (but the Dogers just got some pitching and might get more with the Kemp deal). The Yanks have such a different payroll structure than the rest of baseball it is hard to not think they could give him a Lester-like deal and not regret it too much in years 5-7.

The quote thing seems to be hit or miss, but good info on the whole user name, makes sense.

RE: Scherzer, he actually would be a nice fit for the Yankees. I doubt Boston gets into the bidding for him, so it really comes down to the Yankees, GIants (since they were in on Lester), and maybe the Dogers (but the Dogers just got some pitching and might get more with the Kemp deal). The Yanks have such a different payroll structure than the rest of baseball it is hard to not think they could give him a Lester-like deal and not regret it too much in years 5-7.

Big contracts for underperforming players affect the Yankees too. Maybe not as much as some other teams but it does affect us. And for Lester money he would be a good deal but Boras thinks the Cubs got a steal there and he's looking at 200 million for Scherzer. I'd rather see another team give him that and the Yankees keep that 1st round pick since it's our highest 1st rounder in a long time. 

It wouldn't shock me to see Boston sign him now that they lost out on Lester but with the Dodgers resources and their wheeling and dealing recently I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them sign him to a huge deal.