• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Defensive Design

benhillboy

I know I know, the opposition has been substandard for the most part up to this point. Even still, the things I'm seeing on defense have to translate when we go on this murderous stretch.

There was a poster here when the playoffs started who had a YouTube breakdown of some of the things we did defensively. I forgot his name but it was weird with numbers in it, haven't seen him post since. Also Mike Prada I beleive did some things on SB mentioning a Syracuse Zone and what not.

Anyway, if anyone has any film breakdown or a semi-professional in-depth view of what the guys are doing I'd love that insight. It seems they pretty much man up, but there are 4 highlights I can see with my novice eye:

1. Dennis puts a tremendous amout of pressure on a majority of NBA PGs full court, while only a few are able to press him. That skill is invaluable in so many ways: it tires the handling PG, gives the defense behind him a chance to set, cuts off most passing lanes with the dribbler protecting with his back turned, and most of all kills the clock with the routine desperation situations that start as soon as he touches the floor. I don't think he's gotten leveled by a hard screen in the backcourt yet becuase of his outstanding feet as well as communication, head is always on a swivel, and seems to enjoy taking charges. Who wouldve thought a 6 foot; 168 pound 21 year old would set the tone for our steadily improving defense, but it's exactly what he's done.

2. Kyle: one of the best help defenders in the league, yeah I said it.

3. But when you have 2 outstanding perimeter defenders in Thabo and DeMarre, you don't beed much help. I'm sure the 4 aforementioned players are all among the top of their position at distance ran on the defensive end, deflections, defensive plays per foul, and all other types of advanced foolishness I'm too lazy to look up.

4. Al is rounding into form as an anchor. We're seeing him block more shots and rotate quicker.

Bud is transforming the identity of this team on the fly. Incorporating Bazemore, Payne, and later down the line hopefully Tavares will make this team a defensive stalwart. He's hammered the offense into these guys so hard he knows that even through struggles we have the edge most nights in execution for the 48 minute stretch. The habits he's buiding on the defensive end is mid-2000's Spurs while the offense is based on the current version. How can you not love this drunken bastard?

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2