• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks fans at Philips arena

I have always wondered if the Hawks fans that are in the stands...like in certain sections where they all seems to be together or be friends...like "Al's amigos" or the ones that hold the cutout cardboard heads...are any of those guys squawkers? They seem like die hard fans...just wondering if all, some or any of those fans are a part of the squawk village?

It'll be interested to know if there are Squawkers.

link to anyone who wants to join the Hawks 6th man section:

http://www.nba.com/hawks/2014-kia-6th-man-section-audition-form

That's on my bucket list!!!! I wanna be all over that 6th man section. I wanna bring the thunderous cheers. I mean last week I went to a Warriors home game against the Rockets...the people there were screaming and cheering at the top of their lungs and almost looking forward to losing their voices the next day....I want to be the new regime of Hawks fans who lose their voice and are proud of it.

Ps I asked my friend sitting next to me why he was yelling at the top of his lungs during a ft shot by a rockets player...he said...I dunno, just to support the team. As we exited oracle arena, every fan got a jack in the box free 5 piece nuggets coupon because the Rockets shot under 80% from the line.......:-/

I've always been surprised at how small and mostly spread out our Hawksquawk fan base are. I bet we don't have more than 10 regular contributing members who even go to games on a semi-regular basis much less those fanatical fans.

Seriously? That sucks...cuz every time I look at those crazy fanatics I always think..is that JBH? Or AHF(after law hours) ? Is that @kg01 holding her dad's hand? Are any of those Macedonians squawkers? Fun atmosphere!

• Moderators

IIRC, the 6th man fan section is paid to be there.  They give them free concession and apparel too. Shows how desperate they are to put bodies in those seats at the Philips.  Kinda like rock bands hiring people to start mosh pits at their concerts.  Most teams just have unforced support from the town the play for, although attendance is up about 25% this season.  But also I'd completely understand if the Hawks wanted to start playing a few home games a season in St. Louis and Nashville vs. small-market competition, i.e. Milwaukee, Sacramento, and others.

IIRC, the 6th man fan section is paid to be there. They give them free concession and apparel too. Shows how desperate they are to put bodies in those seats at the Philips. Kinda like rock bands hiring people to start mosh pits at their concerts. Most teams just have unforced support from the town the play for, although attendance is up about 25% this season. But also I'd completely understand if the Hawks wanted to start playing a few home games a season in St. Louis and Nashville vs. small-market competition, i.e. Milwaukee, Sacramento, and others.

Please tell me you're kidding? They pay that group to be there? Wtf

• Moderators

I wish I could attend every Hawks home game, but...you know......life...and stuff.

Or for me, about a 4 1/2 hour trip one way and $75 in gas then another $100 for a hotel room... I hate not being able to go to Hawks games regularly, but it's so expensive for me to do so... cray.gif

Please tell me you're kidding? They pay that group to be there? Wtf

Sadly, no.  I'm not Smoove or Rudy Gay on that statement (in that you can quote me, lol), but I believe that section is hired by the Hawks to be there and to be loud.  Without them, Hawks games would be ghost towns and quiet due to people paying more attention to Facebook than the game at hand.  If I was a player, I'd be embarrassed to play in front of a "fan section".  It's so fake and forced...

Or for me, about a 4 1/2 hour trip one way and $75 in gas then another $100 for a hotel room... I hate not being able to go to Hawks games regularly, but it's so expensive for me to do so... cray.gif

Sadly, no. I'm not Smoove or Rudy Gay on that statement (in that you can quote me, lol), but I believe that section is hired by the Hawks to be there and to be loud. Without them, Hawks games would be ghost towns and quiet due to people paying more attention to Facebook than the game at hand. If I was a player, I'd be embarrassed to play in front of a "fan section". It's so fake and forced...

This is like finding out there's no Santa ...wtf..this is horrible.

I've always been surprised at how small and mostly spread out our Hawksquawk fan base are. I bet we don't have more than 10 regular contributing members who even go to games on a semi-regular basis much less those fanatical fans.

I'm pretty sure that the 6th man section posts a lot on the reddit version of Hawksquawk: http://www.reddit.com/r/AtlantaHawks/so it isn't like these people never go on the internet. They just don't like this message board for whatever reason.

As for paid 6th man section...I doubt it. I think @PSSSHHHRRR87 is getting this mixed up with "Squad Six" that Andrew Bogut started: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/65688147.htmlwhere he actually paid for the section. Then later on the Bucks covered the costs.

The Hawks used to have a Fanatical Fans section back in the early 00s that was pretty much identical to the 6th man section. No one seems to remember it on this board because no one goes to games here. But it existed and was glorious. Then once the A$G took over they cut off the program at the tail end of the 04-05 season. Motherfuckers tried to act like it never existed either whenever I went straight to management about it. This was all part of those pieces of shit at the A$G cutting costs and alienating fans, they'd rather ignore things as opposed to addressing the issue. I hadn't thought about this program in a while but now I'm pissed off. And oh look, I've talked about this before!

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/96913-student-tix/page-2

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/167283-why-cant-we-do-this/

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/358609-do-any-of-you-sit-in-the-hawks-fan-section-118/

I hate those f*cks.

IIRC, the 6th man fan section is paid to be there.  They give them free concession and apparel too. Shows how desperate they are to put bodies in those seats at the Philips.  Kinda like rock bands hiring people to start mosh pits at their concerts.  Most teams just have unforced support from the town the play for, although attendance is up about 25% this season.  But also I'd completely understand if the Hawks wanted to start playing a few home games a season in St. Louis and Nashville vs. small-market competition, i.e. Milwaukee, Sacramento, and others.

Wow.  Where did you hear this nonsense? 

I have sat in the 6th man section for 5 or 6 games this year.  What would you like to know?

They're redditors aren't they? AREN'T THEY!?!?!?

But yeah, that group sounds like a lot of fun and I wish there was something like that when I was in Atlanta and able to go to games on a regular basis. And on a serious note, where do they all post and comment? It's hard to figure out where all the factions of this fan base go. Seems like there's a group on here (little ATL representation), Peachtree Hoops seems to be a mix in ATL and elsewhere, there's Hawk-Shoop (?), Reddit, Twitter, I'd guess Facebook.

Seems like there would be benefits to having all the fans connected to one place. Oh well, I'll never really understand this stuff.

They're redditors aren't they? AREN'T THEY!?!?!?

But yeah, that group sounds like a lot of fun and I wish there was something like that when I was in Atlanta and able to go to games on a regular basis. And on a serious note, where do they all post and comment? It's hard to figure out where all the factions of this fan base go. Seems like there's a group on here (little ATL representation), Peachtree Hoops seems to be a mix in ATL and elsewhere, there's Hawk-Shoop (?), Reddit, Twitter, I'd guess Facebook.

Seems like there would be benefits to having all the fans connected to one place. Oh well, I'll never really understand this stuff.

I know some post in the group Atlanta Hawks Nation on Facebook.  It's a different mix of people every night with some regulars that are there on an almost nightly basis.  The Hawks just started advertising the section on their twitter and there was a lot of new faces on Monday vs the Bulls.  I live in Macon and have already been to 7 games this season so I don't want to hear any excuses from people who live within 30-45 minutes of Atlanta.

• Like 1

I could have sworn i read that Kia pays for the tickets and they got at least discounted apparel and concessions, but it was like a commitment where you had to go. Thought you had interview for it, too.

You get a free ticket and can usually bring a guest with you.  You also get free popcorn and soda.  Discounts on apparel would be awesome but I haven't seen that one.  They send out a quiz on Sundays asking which games you can go to and how many people you would like to bring.  You receive an email the night before or morning of the game with a list of people who are awarded tickets for that game.

I was going to post about this because it reminds me of soccer supporters groups (which I'm in the midst of starting). In soccer leagues you have to have a large group and they give you discounted season tickets in a strategic section. Usually behind the goals. And they put together travel packages to games as well. 

• Premium Member

would be all over joining the 6th man section if i was back in Atlanta. Our fanbase is very spread out! Still live in Denver area but u still went to first game this season and will try to catch another during upcoming holiday.