• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Amazing!

asdogg

@asdogg where can I find these nimbuhs?  I'd love to see the same on the historic(sic) run the Pistons are on right now.  I'm a little fed up with hearing how they're the hottest team in the history of the league right now.  Talk about a run that's not going to last.

When I get a chance, I'm gonna call into NBARadio and politely ask them to save the Pistons pep rally for when Detroit approaches .500 ... or a playoff seed ... or not last place in their division ... or pretty much anything close to what we've done for the last few months.

• Premium Member

That is awesome, i know the hawks beat some tough opponents but the nimbers here don't lie, this might be the best 20+ game stretch of basketball in Hawks history! Not just in ATL but St louis, Milwaukee, Tri Cities! Can anyone check it out?

I can't wait for the Pistons game. I'm hoping we come out with a chip on our shoulders and show everyone what's up!

I can't agree more.

Who the h3ll is Mitch Lawrence?  According to him we're on upset alert if we meet the Pistons in the playoffs.  Gotta be freaking kidding me.

He also said the women in Atlanta rival those in San Antonio (recall Barkey called them fat/ugly or STTE).  What an uninformed tool.

I can't agree more.

Who the h3ll is Mitch Lawrence? According to him we're on upset alert if we meet the Pistons in the playoffs. Gotta be freaking kidding me.

He also said the women in Atlanta rival those in San Antonio (recall Barkey called them fat/ugly or STTE). What an uninformed tool.

You listening to this clown too? I mean these talking are idiots!

This guy is still convinced that Atlanta is a non-factor and in the playoffs it will be all Lebron and the Bulls. This guy does nothing more but make his predictions on the past and name recognition.. what a damn clown.. He is dogging Toronto as well

You listening to this clown too? I mean these talking are idiots!

This guy is still convinced that Atlanta is a non-factor and in the playoffs it will be all Lebron and the Bulls. This guy does nothing more but make his predictions on the past and name recognition.. what a damn clown.. He is dogging Toronto as well

My goodness.  I thought he was just 'playing radio' but, no he was serious.  I had to turn it off.  It was that bad.

Look, I understand some teams coast then amp up for the playoffs.  That's not what Cleveland or Chicago are doing right now.  They're legit struggling.

The notion that, "Oh, they'll turn it on for the playoffs.  LeeBraughn can win you a series by himself." is done.  He hasn't done that in several years now and today, meaning in reality, he's a shell of his former Cav-self.  Kyme Irving and Kevin "Emo Shy kid" Love aren't suddenly going to go into "playoff" form.

Newsflash, they don't have a "playoff" form.  No one knows what they'll be in the playoffs.  Who knew Harden was gonna go all soft in the playoffs when he got a shot.

And the Pistons??  Hello, they were 5 and freakin' 23!!  Are we to believe they're the team they've shown for 7 games or what they showed for 28 games.  Say what you will about addition by subtraction, losing one player doesn't make that big a difference.

Ok, I gotta sit down and take a breath.

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Hawks Mirror Spurs Excellence

By Alex Novick and ESPN Stats & Information

It’s becoming increasingly clear that Atlanta head coach Mike Budenholzer’s 17 years as an assistant coach for Gregg Popovich are paying off. Budenholzer’s four rings’ worth of Spurs knowledge is shining through in the Hawks' brilliant 20-2 stretch, and when you examine the numbers, Atlanta at its best is strikingly similar to San Antonio at its best. 

Key to win - not letting opponent score 

The Hawks have been extremely stingy during their 22-game span of dominance. Over that time they rank first in the NBA in opponent points per game, opponent field goal percentage and defensive efficiency. 

Compare that to the apex of the champion Spurs’ 2013-2014 regular season during which they won 16 straight games. During that streak, San Antonio also ranked 1st in defensive rating, second in opponent FG% and fifth in opponent PPG with almost identical numbers. 

Defense During “Hot” Streak

Last Season’s Spurs vs This Season’s Hawks 

Spurs 16-Game Streak Hawks Last 22 Games Def effic 96.4 << 96.1<< Opp FG pct 42.4% 42.3%<< Opp PPG 94.4 93<< >> 1st in NBA during span
Sharing is caring 

On the offensive end, Atlanta exhibits a Spursian generosity with the ball. Over their last 22 games they rank first in assist ratio (19.7), second in assists per game (25.6) and second in the NBA in percentage of 3-pointers that are assisted (92%). 

The Spurs won in the same fashion during their 16-game win streak, also ranking first in assist ratio (20.8) and second in assisted three pointers (89.9%), along with being first in assists per game (28.5). 

Offensive Ranking During “Hot” Streak

Last Season’s Spurs vs This Season’s Hawks 

Spurs 16-Game Streak Hawks Last 22 Games Ast Ratio 1st 1st Ast per game 1st 2nd Ast pct on 3PM 2nd 2nd >> NBA ranking during selected span
Swing it! 

It's no surprise that such sharing of the ball leads to open shots, specifically of the catch-and-shoot variety. Atlanta excels in this area, ranking first in the NBA this season in catch-and-shoot points per game and second in both field goal percentage and three-point field goals per game on catch-and-shoot opportunities. 

Yes, this was also a strength of the 2013-2014 Spurs, who finished third in catch-and-shoot three-point percentage and sixth in catch-and-shoot points per game. 

Kyle Korver has certainly helped Atlanta’s catch-and-shoot numbers with his unparalleled sharpshooting over the season’s first 35 games, as he makes a bid to become just the second player in NBA history to shoot 50 percent from the field, 50 percent from three, and 90 percent from the foul line (currently at .496 FG%, .513 3p%, .940 FT%). The only player to accomplish this over a full season? The Bulls’ Steve Kerr in 1995-1996, who also happened to win two NBA titles over four seasons with the Spurs. 

HAWKS QUICK HITTERS 

" Not only do the Hawks have the Eastern Conference's best record at 27-8, they are also owners of the East’s best record against the West and against teams at or over .500. FROM ELIAS: Atlanta has won nine straight games against the West, tied for the second-longest single-season win streak by any East team over the last five seasons (Miami won 12 straight in 2012-2013). 

" Of the top 10 teams in the NBA (by win pct), Atlanta has played eight and beaten all but the Raptors (0-2). 

" Atlanta is 11-5 against teams currently .500 or better. Their 11 wins against teams .500 or better are the most in the NBA. 

" After starting the season 7-6, the Hawks have gone 20-2 since, the best record in the NBA over that span. Atlanta’s turnaround has largely come on the defensive end, as it went from ranking 26th in the league in defensive efficiency over its first 13 games to leading the league since. 

• Like 1