Questions: The Brooklyn Pick

ATLSmith

I think its safe to talk about this pick now.  I have a few questions about how the pick is swapped and if we can wait.

Does the right to swap this pick expire at some point?

I ask because Brooklyn appears to be close to a complete rebuild.  At which time they'll be even worse and we will likely land a better pick if we wait to use it during a future draft.

Do the teams agree to swap picks before the draft, during the draft, or after both have drafted?

Basically, can the Hawks let Brooklyn know who they would like to draft, and agree that if the player(s) not there there at 15, then the swap will not happen?

Or, do the Hawks have to declare that they want to swap picks with Brooklyn before the draft, and then take the chance that their preferred pick may not fall to 15?

Nope, the Hawks only had the option of swapping first round picks last year and this year. If they had another year to option that, they would gladly let them pick 15th with the almost certainty that they would be in the lottery in 2016 but they do not. They do get a second rounder next season if I'm not mistaken but that's it.

If there was any more reason to fire Billy King, it would be for giving up the farm to Boston for KG and Pierce. They get the Nets' first round picks from next year to eternity...

• Admin

Nope, the Hawks only had the option of swapping first round picks last year and this year. If they had another year to option that, they would gladly let them pick 15th with the almost certainty that they would be in the lottery in 2016 but they do not. They do get a second rounder next season if I'm not mistaken but that's it.

If there was any more reason to fire Billy King, it would be for giving up the farm to Boston for KG and Pierce. They get the Nets' first round picks from next year to eternity...

yes billy king destroyed that team's future for essentially an aged Joe Johnson and Thadus Young

• Moderators

I'm gonna relocate it to the Draft Forum in a bit, but I think it's safe.

I believe they do have to make a formal declaration to the league office. But when (less urgent now that there is no lottery) and how I know nothing about. I asked C-Viv (AJC) about this about a month ago and he said he planned to research and write about it once the season ended.

I think the "hold-my-pick-for-me" scenario for a league-approved swap option (rather than an outright trade) feels kind of collusion-y. It would involve Team B agreeing to pick somebody from Team A's list, essentially a promise that they wouldn't take someone not on Team A's list, someone that Team B could have used to better themselves. Even if it's legal, there's not much benefit for Team B, who also has to wait for other teams to pick before finding out if Team A gets a shot at the players Team B wants, or even for Team A to reveal their preferences in advance of draft night.

As Dejay noted, this is the last year that the swap could occur.

~lw3