• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

76ers to allow PF Arsalan Kazemi to try out for Hawks

GrimeyKidd

September 28th at 4:40pm CST by Chuck Myron

4:40pm: Philly let go of his rights so he can try out for the Hawks in training camp, Pompey says in another tweet, so it appears that audition is still to come. The Hawks would have to release one of their players to bring Kazemi onto their roster if they decides to do so.

4:30pm: The Sixers have forfeited their draft rights to Iranian power forward Arsalan Kazemi so that the 54th pick from the 2013 draft can audition for the Hawks, tweetsKeith Pompey of the Philadelphia Inquirier. The team made its required tender by the September 10th deadline to do so, which allowed the team to retain his rights, but it appears as though Philadelphia has backtracked on that. It’s unclear whether Kazemi has already tried out for the Hawks or if that audition is still to come. Atlanta is at the preseason roster maximum of 20 players.

Philly originally wound up with the rights to Kazemi the same night that the Wizards drafted him, sending the rights to Glen Rice Jr. to Washington in return. The Sixers also received the rights to Nate Wolters in the deal, flipping them soon after to the Bucks. Kazemi, who played collegiately at Rice and Oregon, has appeared in summer league for the Sixers each of the past three years, but he’s otherwise remained out of the NBA. Last year he averaged 15.0 points in 38.9 minutes per game for ChongQing AoLong of China.

The Sixers have a full preseason roster of their own, with 20 players, so the team had no room for Kazemi. He could have signed the tender, but Philadelphia would have had the right to simply waive him if he did that.

Source: http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2015/09/sixers-allow-arsalan-kazemi-to-try-out-for-hawks.html

Why are they claiming that the Hawks have 20 players? Only 19 right now because the Hawks waived Jason Richardson.

But, well cool? Maybe Malik Rose had something to do with this? Or the Hawks want to start a miniature war with Hinkie? Whatever it is, I don't see this as that interesting of a move.

Earl Barron Edgar Sosa Terren Petteway Lamar Patterson DeQuan Jones. 

Right, that adds up to 19 for the Team. There are 13 guaranteed contracts, plus Muscala and the camp invites you mentioned.

It's a little funny that the 76ers beat writer is beating all the Atlanta media to this "story" or whatever one wants to call it.

I'm guessing there is some sort of a connection with the agents involved here. It is not likely for this guy to make the team, but he can put down Training Camp on his resume and build a rapport with the Hawks.

Kazemi would make 20

• Premium Member

Think this is all about the Mike Scott's tentative iffy status? I mean, how long does it really take for drug test results to come back?

I just don't know how you go into a season with this situation hanging over your team's head. At best, he didn't test positive, and the league then isn't going to do anything until the court acts, which you have to suspect will go down during the season. That's "at best." What a huge distraction. And even if it doesn't occur until next off-season, still, you have this player on your roster who just can't be all there psychologically because he's staring at a serious chance of prison time.

I dunno. It's a real elephant in our room, having gotten relatively little attention from anyone but us gathered here.

Edited by sturt

Think this is all about the Mike Scott's tentative iffy status? I mean, how long does it really take for drug test results to come back?

I just don't know how you go into a season with this situation hanging over your team's head. At best, he didn't test positive, and the league then isn't going to do anything until the court acts, which you have to suspect will go down during the season. That's "at best." What a huge distraction. And even if it doesn't occur until next off-season, still, you have this player on your roster who just can't be all there psychologically because he's staring at a serious chance of prison time.

I dunno. It's a real elephant in our room, having gotten relatively little attention from anyone but us gathered here.

It's his first offense and it wasn't a crazy amount. His chances of prison time are likely under 50%. Courts are slow as hell also. Didn't Bud just have hid court date for the dui he got two years ago? Kobe seemed to do just fine while dealing with a rape case and trial and that's far more serious with an incredible amount of publicity.

I think Mike will be fine this year.

• Premium Member

If the CBA is followed, and if what we can read online is legitimate, any conviction at all prescribes a 2 year suspension immediately.

Scott has to get off... *ahem*... Scott-free (dang I'm witty today).

And hopefully we can agree that Kobe at less than optimal psychological health is a different thing altogether than Mike Scott at less than optimal psychological health.

So, do we carry an extra PF on the roster due to not knowing what might happen and when? I dunno.

What I do know is that I sure hope the next CBA contemplates this situation, and makes sure that teams aren't quite so penalized if/when one of their players crosses the line. We're in a real pickle here.

• Premium Member

Intriguing from an interview following a work-out with Warriors pre-2013-draft...FF to the 3:30 mark or so to get to the meaningful content... he's evidently regarded as a SF/PF.

Not an outside shooter. Haven't seen him play wing defense... indeed, that would seem to be his ticket if he can.

Edited by sturt

I think you missed our discussion on how the CBA handles "drugs of abuse" and how Mike is not out of the woods at this point no matter your feeling on the legality of certain drugs.

I know he isn't out of the woods. I just think its likely that he is able to play the full season and it has nothing to do with my thoughts on their legality. Thanks for assuming though.

• Premium Member

Led 2015 Summer League in the newly-christened "hustle points"...

http://autzenzoo.com/2015/07/20/nba-summer-league-former-oregon-duck-arsalan-kazemi-leads-league-hustle-points/

"...With top draft pick Jahlil Okafor sitting out the majority of the games, Kazemi dominated the glass out times, hauling in 13 rebounds in the second contest, while averaging 8 rebounds per game. He displayed his high Basketball IQ–leading all players between the two teams in total rebounds at 6’7″ is a tough task. There were countless occasions near the end of games when Kazemi would keep a play alive with multiple offensive rebounds.

"Despite reaffirming his rebounding skills, Kazemi had Sixers Nation wide-eyed because of his hustle plays. The NBA was experimenting with “Hustle Stats,”: Shots contested, passes deflected, loose balls recovered, and charges taken. A player’s hustle score is calculated with a separate formula. Kazemi led the entire Las Vegas Summer League in Hustle Points per game, with a 3.6 average. He drew 7 total charges, and also recorded 6 deflections against the New York Knicks.

"He was diving for every loose ball, and seemed to be the X-Factor for the 76ers at times when they needed a boost in energy on the floor. Various reactions across the league included many comments that indicated a great appreciation for what he could bring to an NBA team on a nightly basis..."

Edited by sturt
  • Like 1

If the CBA is followed, and if what we can read online is legitimate, any conviction at all prescribes a 2 year suspension immediately.

Scott has to get off... *ahem*... Scott-free (dang I'm witty today).

And hopefully we can agree that Kobe at less than optimal psychological health is a different thing altogether than Mike Scott at less than optimal psychological health.

So, do we carry an extra PF on the roster due to not knowing what might happen and when? I dunno.

What I do know is that I sure hope the next CBA contemplates this situation, and makes sure that teams aren't quite so penalized if/when one of their players crosses the line. We're in a real pickle here.

I just don't see a conviction taking place by may. Courts are naturally slow and Lawyers can make them even slower.

I agree about Kobe. Dude's a freak but Mike's situation is child's play compared to Kobe's when you factor in severity of charge, media attention, millions in lost endorsements and the trial taking place midseason.

• Premium Member

Oh geez... I have to laugh only because, as you know, I've been driving the Papa bandwagon all this time... read this blogger's take...

http://phillyfansince88.sportsblog.com/posts/2829109/oh-you-didn-t-know---why-the-strong-play-of-iran-s-arsalan-kazemi-shouldn-t-come-as-a-surprise-to-anybody---.html

"...The first thing we notice when watching this video is that Kazemi is a lot quicker and more athletic than he is given credit for.  He's got quick hands on defense that he uses to poke the ball out and get steals, on top of the unrelenting effort he gives on both ends of the floor.  He's also very offensively skilled, especially when it comes to passing.  He is very good at driving to the rim and either scoring or finding teammates off of the penetration.  He has a knack for finding the holes in the defense and exploiting them whether as a passer or scorer.  This is because Kazemi is a wing player, not an undersized power forward.  If he's comparable to any current NBA player, it would be Kostas Papanikolaou.  They are very similar players, with Papanikolaou being the better shooter and Kazemi being the better rebounder and tougher overall player.  If you can keep this comparison in your head, you'll understand the type of player Kazemi is much better..."

• Premium Member

I just don't see a conviction taking place by may. Courts are naturally slow and Lawyers can make them even slower.

I agree about Kobe. Dude's a freak but Mike's situation is child's play compared to Kobe's when you factor in severity of charge, media attention, millions in lost endorsements and the trial taking place midseason.

All good, but I don't think it's much comfort to Mike that it's comparatively "child's play." It's his life, and while I agree that nothing's for certain, anytime you have in front of you the distinct possibility of prison time, it's going to wear on you. Am I wrong?

• Premium Member

The question for Kazam (as-in "alla-kazam")... I'm copyrighting that nickname, btw grin.gif... is his lateral quickness... can't tell yet b/c getting out on the wing is just not something he did very much in college nor in NBA summer league evidently... and second question is whether he can improve his FT% since he does appear to draw fouls and get to the line really well.

Edited by sturt