• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This has been a long season

HawkItus

I mean we have a "winning" team by any measurement, but it feels like we are the 76ers or the 2001-2007 Hawks around here and in the media.  Are we the best team? No.  But, I really think this is an NBA problem.  If the mood is like this for our team, imagine fans of the Knicks, Kings, Bucks, Nuggets etc.    People like Charles Barkley denouncing everybody, but 5 teams.  ESPN fixated on Curry and Lebron.   It is not helping to grow the sport.   The Commish needs to do something about this.   

Idk but isn't this how modern media (or even society) works? 2nd is 1st looser, or even the 1st is a looser if he isn't setting records. 
Just watch the games and have fun while doing so. Don't care about ESPN.

• Moderators

This season feels a bit like the death of optimism for me.  We had a big boost of hope last year that the Hawks were one of those 5 or so teams that were legit contenders for an NBA title.  Then Atlanta continued its streak of forever seasons in which it hasn't won a game beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs and then this season feels like a fall back into the "doomed to lose in the first or second round" teams that has been the most common Hawks season.  

Its not as dire as that - Dennis' continued development in particular is exciting - but that vein is a major downer for this year.  [insert mandatory Debbie Downer gif/clip]

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rd79 said:

Idk but isn't this how modern media (or even society) works? 2nd is 1st looser, or even the 1st is a looser if he isn't setting records. 
Just watch the games and have fun while doing so. Don't care about ESPN.

Yeah, it's a bit jaded in that way. Apparently, the only way you get any enjoyment out of the sport is by winning the whole dang thing. The 29 others are all pathetic losers with nothing to enjoy.

Yeah, that 60 win season last year sure did suck ass I hated it because we didn't win!

• Moderators

This is the world.  Most teams would rather have potential than actual success when that success is deemed less than "elite" status.  

I will say it's a lot like the Braves used to be.   The fans recognize when a team doesn't really have a chance to win it all.   They are still a very good team but they aren't a contender and they also aren't overachieving.   So I get some of the negativity.    As a fan you want to have hope but right now I don't know anyone who firmly believes we have a good shot at the finals barring something dramatic happening.   

Still I'm happy that we have a really good team and should have some exciting playoff basketball to watch.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

This season feels a bit like the death of optimism for me.  We had a big boost of hope last year that the Hawks were one of those 5 or so teams that were legit contenders for an NBA title.  Then Atlanta continued its streak of forever seasons in which it hasn't won a game beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs and then this season feels like a fall back into the "doomed to lose in the first or second round" teams that has been the most common Hawks season.  

Its not as dire as that - Dennis' continued development in particular is exciting - but that vein is a major downer for this year.  [insert mandatory Debbie Downer gif/clip]

No Debbie Downer gif but this chick was a Hawks fan 'til she read your post ...

Crying