Ping Pong Watch

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Another year of passive-aggressively watching the NBA Draft Lottery is upon us!

Here are a few items I'm watching for/pulling for on Tuesday evening...

Washington stays put -- As long as the Wizards (#13 lotto slot) don’t get a Top 3 draw, their pick goes to the Suns (Markieff Morris trade). Go Suns.

Root for New Orleans, Utah… the Lakers? -- L.A. (#2 lotto slot) has to finish with one of the Top 3 draws, otherwise their pick gets sent to Philadelphia. Thanks to the Nik Stauskas deal, the Sixers (#1 lotto slot) do have a right-to-swap with the Kings (#8 lotto slot), so we don’t really want Sacramento to gain a Top 3 draw if it means passing that pick on to Philly (swap option only counts if the Sixers’ own lotto slot falls to #4, and in any case below the Kings’ Top 3 draw). Despite having Anthony Davis already, the Pelicans (#6 lotto slot) could use a break that doesn’t involve a bone, for once. I won’t mind Utah (#12 lotto slot) moving up, because Western Conference, and Quin.

Go, New York, Go, New York, Go! -- The worst of those two picks between New York (#7 lotto slot) and Denver (#9 lotto slot) goes to Toronto (Andrea Bargnani deal), and the better pick goes to Denver (Carmelo Anthony deal). Getting leapfrogged by the Jazz would bring the Raptors’ eventual pick down a notch, but going any further down would require one of Milwaukee (#10 lotto slot), Orlando (#11), Washington or Chicago (#14) to get a Top 3 draw. Among that crew, I’d much prefer it be the Bucks, if anybody at all.

OK, Minnesota, you’ve had your fun -- The Timberwolves (#5 lotto slot) are benefiting from Karl-Anthony Towns and from Andrew Wiggins already, and they could have had another #1-overall in the stead had Anthony Bennett panned out. They do need to make the playoffs eventually for the Hawks to recoup that first-rounder from the Adreian Payne deal, but that doesn’t necessarily have to happen in 2017. Let them enjoy a garden-variety lotto pick for once. If either they or Phoenix (#4 lotto slot) do get a Top 3 draw, hopefully it comes at the expense of the Celtics, who get Brooklyn's #3 lotto slot (KG and Paula trade).

~lw3

• Like 1

Ok, first off, I need an Advil lol, secondly I agree with it all except rooting for the lakers. I want them to drop to #4 or 5 so the pick is sent to Philly. That gives us a chance(however slim, to deal with the Sixers to move up if they have 2 picks in the top 5 they might trade). Also, philly has a crappy track record of being able to build on anything. Aside from the I usually root for the west team to crack the top 3 vs the east for obvious reasons.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

Ok, first off, I need an Advil lol, secondly I agree with it all except rooting for the lakers. I want them to drop to #4 or 5 so the pick is sent to Philly. That gives us a chance(however slim, to deal with the Sixers to move up if they have 2 picks in the top 5 they might trade). Also, philly has a crappy track record of being able to build on anything. Aside from the I usually root for the west team to crack the top 3 vs the east for obvious reasons.

Exactly. The Sixers want vet help. That's the Hawks only way in unless they go 100% Dimitroff (Julio Jones) and give another team a deal they can't refuse.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Exactly. The Sixers want vet help. That's the Hawks only way in unless they go 100% Dimitroff (Julio Jones) and give another team a deal they can't refuse.

Yup. I just thinks it's time to make a big splash. We haven't really participated in the draft since Dennis in 2013. We need some young stud that Bud can work with to hopefully turn him into a superstar, or at least try.

27 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

A neat little factoid about how the league plans to unveil envelopes now. Takes out the momentary mystery whenever there are trades/swaps to account for...

~lw3

Haha...that's hilarious. It's kinda like the league wants drama...:-/ not new... Lol