• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What is your definition of a Max player?

Wurider05

In addition to Al Horford, I see a lot of questionable players demanding/wanting max contracts. You have Harrison Barnes, Dwight Howard, Hassan Whiteside, and Bradley Beal in addition to others. My question is what do you all consider to be a max player.  In my opinion there are only a few max players in the NBA--Lebron, Curry, Leonard, Anthony Davis,Dwayne Wade, and Draymond Green. This is based on total value that they bring to the table and their stats.   They also make their teammates better instead of just getting theirs (Carmelo Anthony).  here are some areas I think should be considered;

1.Age

2. Has potential/peak been met? How much better can he get?

3. Is he a 2 way player?

4. Does he make his teammates better?

5. Can he impact the game without shooting the ball?

6. What will the player need along side him to be great?

7. Behavior, attitude, mentality, and how they carry themselves (reasons why Cousins is not what I consider a max player)

At the rate things are going you are going to have max contact guys that have never even sniffed an allstar game or max players who aren't even the best player on their own team. Having said that I don't think that Horford isn't a max contract player.  His rebounding and shot blocking aren't good enough to offset his scoring average. What are your criteria for a max player?

#8  Seems like just about everyone in the summer of 2016. Please forgive my sarcasm it's just so many of the predicted salaries are becoming astronomical this year.

The definition is no longer about what happens on the floor.  It's about bargaining power and the number of teams in play for your services.

I'm really over it.  They'll get paid by their own teams or another.  That's the reality.

I'll start calling them 'The Un-Deserving'

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

The definition has always been a simple matter of economics.  You remember supply and demand.  There is a supply and demand curve for each player that sets their salary.  The maximum salary is an artificial ceiling on salary so every player whose salary is at or above the max based on their supply / demand curve is a max player.  It so happens that right now there is a circumstance with (a) a rising cap which means more available money and (b) a lot of players locked into current contracts below what would be their free market value.  The combination of those things raises the price for players even more.  Hence, there is now a much larger pool of players who are "max" players.  

I was about to post this eggsactly.  There's no need for folks to get their dockers in a bunch about who's a "max" player.  When that term first came about it meant something very different than it does today.  I don't even think we should use the term "max" to refer to players or their contracts anymore.

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I was about to post this eggsactly.  There's no need for folks to get their dockers in a bunch about who's a "max" player.  When that term first came about it meant something very different than it does today.  I don't even think we should use the term "max" to refer to players or their contracts anymore.

Max cat use to mean top 10 player.  Now it means good starter. Al is a borderline max player before the new max, now he is an unquestionable max guy

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Max cat use to mean top 10 player.  Now it means good starter. Al is a borderline max player before the new max, now he is an unquestionable max guy

People gotta understand borderline guys like Harrison Barnes and Meyers Leonard turned down near-max extensions and could (emphasis on 'could') end up getting paid more than they turned down.  There shouldn't be this much trepidation about paying Horford.  Now, should we try to get him for less than "max"?  Obviously yes, but folks gotta get over the 'Oh no, Al wants max' stuff.

Man Harrison Barnes sucks and he's gonna trick someone into paying him a lot of money this offseason.

Edited by kg01

34 minutes ago, AHF said:

The definition has always been a simple matter of economics.  You remember supply and demand.  There is a supply and demand curve for each player that sets their salary.  The maximum salary is an artificial ceiling on salary so every player whose salary is at or above the max based on their supply / demand curve is a max player.  It so happens that right now there is a circumstance with (a) a rising cap which means more available money and (b) a lot of players locked into current contracts below what would be their free market value.  The combination of those things raises the price for players even more.  Hence, there is now a much larger pool of players who are "max" players.  

OK now the similarity of this and what I probably would have written is just too much. You need to be given a one week bant for sounding exactly like me. That, or imma start pretending to be you and you won't like that!

21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I don't even think we should use the term "max" to refer to players or their contracts anymore.

Fun fact, Cedric Maxwell received the first "max" contract in the NBA.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

OK now the similarity of this and what I probably would have written is just too much. You need to be given a one week bant for sounding exactly like me. That, or imma start pretending to be you and you won't like that!

no-one-wants-to-see-that-shit.jpg

3 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

Man, how the mighty have fallen.  I used to think AHF was a stand-up guy.  Sad to see that he's resorted to this.

1 minute ago, hawksfanatic said:

Fun fact, Cedric Maxwell received the first "max" contract in the NBA.

Ew, that's not fun at all.  Well, to his credit, he's garnering a rep as one of the worst announcers in the history of spoken word.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

*gasp* Pretty sure JBird used that meme a few days ago.  @hawksfanatic his plagiarism knows no bounds.  No one is safe.

@JayBirdHawk and @hawksfanatic are two of the most thoughtful posters on here.  I can't help but follow in their footsteps or predict their next post.  

No need to get in a tizzy, though.

Trust me when I say...you're safe, @kg01, you're safe.

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

@JayBirdHawk and @hawksfanatic are two of the most thoughtful posters on here.  I can't help but follow in their footsteps or predict their next post.  

No need to get in a tizzy, though.

Trust me when I say...you're safe, @kg01, you're safe.

Lol, whut?

Head Spin

The name of the movie from which this gif was pulled, and that I related the gif to you, was not lost on me.  Boom.

I'm sure the owners thought it would be a good idea to institute max contracts but in reality it probably isn't a good idea because it artificially deflates the value of true max players and inflates the salaries for lesser players. In a true open market, a player like LeBron James is probably worth $50 million per season. But in this system he only makes $25 million which means teams have lots of extra money to give players who aren't LeBron James $25 million per season. 

Everyone can say Al Horford is a max player because some team will give him a max contract, but the problem is if Cleveland can pay LeBron $25 million and get what they get out of him, how much more money does Atlanta have to spend in addition to the $25 million they would have to give Horford to make up for everything Horford can't do that LeBron can? In other words, the Hawks would have to spend $40-50 million for Horford and 2-3 other players to be able to do everything that LeBron can do by himself. You can't win that way. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Lol, whut?

Head Spin

The name of the movie from which this gif was pulled, and that I related the gif to you, was not lost on me.  Boom.

That movie is hilarious.  I'll wear that as a badge of pride!

the-jerk-steve-martin.jpg?w=700

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The definition is no longer about what happens on the floor.  It's about bargaining power and the number of teams in play for your services.

I'm really over it.  They'll get paid by their own teams or another.  That's the reality.

I'll start calling them 'The Un-Deserving'

Sounds like a really good movie about really overpaid basketball players. Who would be the bad guy with the most evil intent?