• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Real Talk... What if?

Diesel

• Premium Member

I say real talk.   What I'm saying is I need your honest opinion...

What if we would have traded Al Horford at the deadline...  Would you have been upset with the franchise if we would have gotten rid of Horf for a midround pick and a good player...  and lost in the first round?

What if we would have traded Al and Teague for D12 and a first?  Would you have been disappointed with the franchise?

I would have been disappointed.  The Cleveland series (we should have won) was about them catching FIRE from the 3 point line.  We were ahead in the 4th quarter for 3 of those 4 games.. Just couldn't pull it out.

Am I okay with us trading Teague and not signing b!tchford?  Yes.  We got Prince, who is a PLAYER, and upgraded with Howard.  I love this team. 

Could we potentially regress a little?  Yes.. but let's not point at the players we lost... They were good but not great. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Losing to that Boston team in the first round would have been a real disappointment.  Trading Teague and Horford for Howard and the #12 pick would have been less interesting than seeing it happen in the offseason because now we know Horford was already one foot out the door and that Howard was sold on Atlanta but we didn't know either of those things then.  Teague was also less valuable after the season because you went from 1.5 seasons of team control to 1 season.  So I'm fine with the way things worked out but there is no way watching Boston beat us would have been anything other than a disappointment.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I view the fact that Horford Left as meaning that his phony persona had to be shown for what it is.   He was not planning on staying. 

Here's my second what if...

What if Horford would have left in the offseason and joined Durant in OKC... Would you have been less angry with him than him going to Boston?

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I view the fact that Horford Left as meaning that his phony persona had to be shown for what it is.   He was not planning on staying. 

We wouldn't have known that in the "what if" scenario, though.  It would just appear we dealt him away when he was likely to resign.

What if Horford would have left in the offseason and joined Durant in OKC... Would you have been less angry with him than him going to Boston?

I would understand it more.  Joining Durant in OKC would mean prioritizing a chance at contending for a title over trying a monster frontcourt combo in Atlanta with Sap and Howard (as Koonen has said was the plan).  That makes some sense.  Joining Boston doesn't make sense to me from a competitive standpoint.

• Premium Member

I think the bear in the room that nobody wants to acknowledge is Paul Millsap.

Over the last two season, Millsap has proven that he was better than Al.  He became the face of the Hawks.. and I think it probably hurt Al when Sap took a paycut to stay with us.   ON top of Sap, then you have Dwight coming in too.

I don't think AL was ready to be 3rd .  We offered him 136 Million dollars and he kicked rocks.  The only reason that happens is because his ego couldn't take the blow of winning and everybody else getting the credit. 

14 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I could tolerate Al going to Boston if KD went. I would understand it even more if he went to OKC with Durant, Westbrook and his old coach.