• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I will be the one to say it

volman

• Moderators
21 hours ago, AHF said:

I am all in favor of automating refereeing / umpiring wherever you can.  The vast majority of the time there is no ill will, just human mistakes made.  Guys have bad nights and mess calls up.  Sometimes egos come into the picture and you end up with BS personal biases changing the game but whatever the reason it is cold comfort to a team when they aren't able to function on a level playing field.  It isn't an excuse to me to say "that is just part of the game, guess you need to live with Giannis tipping in 3pters or Jrue pushing the ball over the halfline for a BS TO because that is just a human part of the game."  Would love to see us get to the point where it is automated and called by machines with human review.

Also, it is super 100% BS that if a coach challenges a play that they can't challenge another play later on even if they are right.  That means that instead of worrying about whether the play is called right the coaching staff must evaluate both whether the call was right and whether this is worth giving up their ability to challenge in a case an even worse call comes later (or at least a more impactful one).  

If you are giving a coach the ability to fix an error through a challenge, they should not lose that as long as they are correct.  I am certain this is all about wanting to prevent a coach from embarrassing the officials by repeatedly challenging bad calls.  Again, the egos of the refs should be secondary to getting things right and having a level playing field.

Here is a baseball example of where I would 100% automate:

The Giannis 3pt goaltend falls in the same category of things a computer could get right 100% of the time easily with existing technology.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, volman said:

Was there a peep about the terrible officiating. Anywhere? 

Overshadowed completely by Middleton's heroics and Trae's injury.  If that 3pt goal tend was the game winner, it would have been a huge deal but it wasn't so it was swept under the rug.

• Thanks 1