• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Real Talk... Squawkers....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Is OO a real Center in the NBA? 

I know, I know that OO has his stans that will come out... however, I have watched the last two preseason games.  Especially last game with Valenciunis eating his lunch in front of OO.  The effort is there, the athleticism is there... but he struggles with size.  For this reason, I can't  not hear trade proposals for OO.

But what does the squawk say?

• Premium Member

One of the things we noted this summer was there were a lot of squawkers who wanted to put big money into OO developing his shot and becoming a PF.   The JC hate around here is strong... however, it's more than that.   IMO it's a veiled attempt to suggest that OO won't ever be the starting C here because of his size.   So it's best to try to move him and his defense to PF.   I believe in calling a thing a thing and if that's your thing say that.   Then we can argue his abilities at PF.   However, before we jump off into that subject, is it true that there's a believe that he can't be a Center in this league... because of his size?

If there's no Clint, it's a concern. 

From the Pels game, I was impressed with Frank the tank after he got it together.  And JJ of course. 

But we need to think about size. 

• Premium Member

We are about to find out how much OO, after having a full offseason training vs rehabbing, has improved on his game. 

39 minutes ago, Diesel said:

For this reason, I can't  not hear trade proposals for OO.

So with our first game in 2 days, I don't see the reason for trade proposals. What we do know, is that he was not included in trade proposals for Gobert or Murray.

In my opinion, agent 0017 is a PF body, playing center in the NBA.  Does he have the skills, ability to be a PF?  We don't know, do we.  He is a great center when we go small.  He doesn't fair well when the opposition puts a huge center in to oppose him, especially if that center is an athlete.

Agent 0017 has worked on his shooting this off season.  We haven't saw a lot of the results as of yet.  Hopefully this will pay off for him and for the Hawks.  He looks as if he has lost most of his babby fat from when he first became a Hawk.  He still has a little more maturing yet to come.

😉

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1

OO is a tough fit b/c if you play him at the 4 he hurts your spacing offensively unless you have a shooter at the 5.  If you play him at the 5 he will struggle against big centers.  So his position is really reliant on matchup.  

As of now, it is hard to imagine him as a full time 5 b/c of his size/lack of shooting.  If he develops the jumper he can at least make the big 5's work on the other end, and play more 4.  Basically, he needs to spend all of his time and energy developing his jumper.

That being said, he's still only 21 which is crazy.  He could get a LOT better. 

I don't consider him untradeable.  Its very possible that he becomes a great player, it's also possible that he peaks as a role playing defensive/rebounder type.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We are about to find out how much OO, after having a full offseason training vs rehabbing, has improved on his game. 

So with our first game in 2 days, I don't see the reason for trade proposals. What we do know, is that he was not included in trade proposals for Gobert or Murray.

Let me float this one..

What if in Jan.. Phoenix says... Alright Atlanta.   We'll trade Ayton and Crowder for Capela, OO, and Bogi. 

Would we not consider it?

I would listen and I would definitely have to think about it because Ayton is now locked up, he's got the game to fit with our players.  He's got the size to play against the Embiids and Bigs of the East.   This is just working on rumors of players that we have supposedly been listenting too.. nothing real but if it were real, I would listen. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AtLaS said:

OO is a tough fit b/c if you play him at the 4 he hurts your spacing offensively unless you have a shooter at the 5.  If you play him at the 5 he will struggle against big centers.  So his position is really reliant on matchup.  

As of now, it is hard to imagine him as a full time 5 b/c of his size/lack of shooting.  If he develops the jumper he can at least make the big 5's work on the other end, and play more 4.  Basically, he needs to spend all of his time and energy developing his jumper.

That being said, he's still only 21 which is crazy.  He could get a LOT better. 

I don't consider him untradeable.  Its very possible that he becomes a great player, it's also possible that he peaks as a role playing defensive/rebounder type.  

This is where I kinda am with it.   As I look at the incoming crop of bigs, the big bigs are going off the scene (until Frenchie gets here)...  But even with him, he's more outside dominant than inside dominant.   I believe that OO could work as a 5 but we would still need one of these other big guys incase we ran into Embiid, Jokic, or Gobert. 

He has to consider fashioning his game to be like Bam's.

• Like 1