• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Crazy idea no one ever thought of regarding load management....

shakes

• Premium Member

here is it, the craziest thing you've ever heard.  Something so insane it will break the minds of NBA players, owners and executives.  here it is.  You ready?  Ok, here goes....

Maybe, just maybe NBA careers aren't supposed to last 15 years for good players.  Maybe they're supposed to last 8-10 years.  Maybe the whole point is to go as hard as you can every single game, make the money while you can and then retire with your millions and your arthritic knees.   

Think about how much better the NBA would be if that was the accepted mindset.   not hard to imagine since that's the way it was until recently.

• Like 1

I posited this privately for a while.  My first thought is, it's not NBA teams' jobs to maximize guy's earning potential.  It's not their jobs to lengthen their careers.  So why in the flying fk are they going out if their way to do so (via load management and the like).

The answer made me realize how Pollyanna-ish I was being.

Nba teams profit significantly more off stars than is readily apparent to the casual observer.  There is tangible monetary incentive for, for example, WAS to have Beal around for so long.

It's not about winning or "doing the right thang".  It's not about maximizing their earning potential (by lengthening careers).

It's about teams maximizing their own bottom lines.  Easier to keep Beal alive and profiting off him than it is to find and cultivate the next cash calf.  Then hope he becomes as marketable, fwiw, as the same Brad Beal we already have on the roster. 

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I posited this privately for a while.  My first thought is, it's not NBA teams' jobs to maximize guy's earning potential.  It's not their jobs to lengthen their careers.  So why in the flying fk are they going out if their way to do so (via load management and the like).

The answer made me realize how Pollyanna-ish I was being.

Nba teams profit significantly more off stars than is readily apparent to the casual observer.  There is tangible monetary incentive for, for example, WAS to have Beal around for so long.

It's not about winning or "doing the right thang".  It's not about maximizing their earning potential (by lengthening careers).

It's about teams maximizing their own bottom lines.  Easier to keep Beal alive and profiting off him than it is to find and cultivate the next cash calf.  Then hope he becomes as marketable, fwiw, as the same Brad Beal we already have on the roster. 

yes, the players, owners and league are all conspiring to water down the product just so they can stretch the careers of their stars.   Only way it stops is when consumers revolt.  i  already started with my boycott of attending NBA games in person.    And refusing to watch anything besides Hawks games.