• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nique interview 💗

Spud2nique

i_ce_2f_ea_dominique-wilkins.png?w=190
While appearing on VladTV, former NBA player Dominique Wilkins explored how his challenging upbringing influenced the trajectory of his basketball profession. Brought up by a single mother who had the responsibility of looking after eight kids, Wilkins shared with host Vlad that at the age of 12, he made a commitment to become a professional player and support his mother – a determination that motivated him from an early age. “People in the neighborhood, looked after her (his mom) because she took care of the neighborhood,” Wilkins said, via Fadeaway World. “She cooked for ’em, you know, and had people in my life then that was like brothers and sisters to me.

– via Erikas Polockas @ TalkBasket

“And she fought hard for her kids but that was a tough neighborhood to grow up in. Cuz you had to be in a, one would say, gang, to go from one block to the next. “But because I played basketball, it was hands-off throughout the neighborhood. It was like, ‘Hey, he’s gonna be the first one to get out of this neighborhood, none of you guys touch him.’ And that was the comfort that I had.”

His early years were spent in Paris, but he later moved to Baltimore, a city known for its reputation as one of the most perilous in the United States. “Baltimore, when I was there, they had the highest crime rate in America,” Wilkins said, via Basketball Network. “I mean, it was a bad place. “Growing up in the projects of O’Donnell Heights and Westport, they shooting the movie ‘The Wire’, a lot of that’s filmed from where I grew up. Don’t even tell the full truth of all the stuff that goes on in Baltimore.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2