• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Question of the Day.....11/11

Diesel

Whose Talent would you want...  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

If I had to break down a basketball player...

There would be talent and there would be grit. 

Jordan is the master of grit.   He's the grittiest player to ever play the game.   I believe that Kobe is a close second.     While grit doesn't take away from talent, there are some players that are uber talented but they have less grit. 

I think Jordan had mucho talent but there are some players that were naturally more talented than he.  But not as gritty.

• Moderators

Jordan is my GOAT but he strikes me as someone who is a bit of a miserable person.  I can't honestly say I'd want to be so obsessed with competing that I would want to adopt his talents.  (And in my mind his obsession with winning is essential to his GOAT status).

LeBron has great physical gifts and natural talents on both sides of the ball and has won rings with 3 different teams while having what appears to me to be a better work/life balance from the outside looking in.  So he was my pick.

Jokic would be the next guy on the list due to his multi-faceted offensive game.  Then Kobe; then Dirk; then I'd have to waffle between AI and Vince.  AI had the better team success so probably him but I'm not a fan of his game at all and Vince definitely had a plethora of gifts.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, AHF said:

I can't honestly say I'd want to be so obsessed with competing that I would want to adopt his talents.  (And in my mind his obsession with winning is essential to his GOAT status).

That's my point.

He has some talent, but he wasn't naturally more talented than some players.   However, I don't think anybody but maybe Kobe was more obsessed with being the best like Jordan was ... and that obsession made him overcome whatever natural talent he lacked. 

Whereas when I look at a guy like Vince or Even Jokic...   They came to the game with Talent in Spades.  Vince just didn't have the killer obsession that MJ had.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Diesel said:

Whereas when I look at a guy like Vince or Even Jokic...   They came to the game with Talent in Spades.  Vince just didn't have the killer obsession that MJ had.

Vince is kind of like the anti-MJ in that respect.  If I am going to make my career as an NBA player, I want more of the killer instinct than Vince had.  Great guy.  Talent, tools, and gifts like crazy.  Just not enough of a need to win.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Vince is kind of like the anti-MJ in that respect.  If I am going to make my career as an NBA player, I want more of the killer instinct than Vince had.  Great guy.  Talent, tools, and gifts like crazy.  Just not enough of a need to win.

That's my point.

If Vince had Kobe's killer instinct, he would have probably finished as the best player to ever play the game. 

Point is... The Talent was very high. 

• Like 1