• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Question of the Day 11/13....

Diesel

• Premium Member

If DeAndre Hunter were to be traded to Miami.  Do you think that the "Heat Culture" would change him and make him more aggressive?

Could Erik Spoelstra or Pop for that matter be able to unlock the inner beast in DeAndre Hunter?

• Moderators

I do think Spoelstra and the culture in Miami would help most players (so no reason to think it wouldn't help someone like Hunter).  They seem to have a level of internal expectation and accountability that maximizes outcomes for many players.  It isn't magic pixie dust or anything but definitely enough of a pattern to be legit.  OO might be the guy helped the most from the Miami non-foul call syndrome with the refs.  A lot of those touch fouls he gets called for here would go uncalled among the higher level of physical play there.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, AHF said:

I do think Spoelstra and the culture in Miami would help most players (so no reason to think it wouldn't help someone like Hunter).  They seem to have a level of internal expectation and accountability that maximizes outcomes for many players.  It isn't magic pixie dust or anything but definitely enough of a pattern to be legit.  OO might be the guy helped the most from the Miami non-foul call syndrome with the refs.  A lot of those touch fouls he gets called for here would go uncalled among the higher level of physical play there.

Is it the system or the players though.

Can you point to one player who played one way before Miami and played much much differently after going to Miami?

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Diesel said:

Is it the system or the players though.

Can you point to one player who played one way before Miami and played much much differently after going to Miami?

There has been enough consistency among those Heat teams that I would say that coaching and culture are a very real part of it.  I think you would more examples of players who didn’t live up to expectations after playing in Miami than those who leveled up in Miami because Miami is largely home grown talent mixed with proven vets.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Diesel said:

If that be the case then.. How can you tell the difference if the system changed the players or if the execs chose the best players to maintain the system?

I'm comparing team performance over time.  I think it is 6 of one half, a half dozen of the other to your question.  If the execs picked a bunch of outliers who fit their system (any second round pick who meaningfully contributes is an outlier and they've had a bunch) that is not typical so maybe it speaks to the ability to mine late draft talent to fit the system in a way that doesn't happen in Atlanta and other places or maybe it is the culture and system that allows for a wider variety of people to contribute.  Don't really care which it is.  I think either way the coaching, culture, system, etc. are a significant factor.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, AHF said:

I'm comparing team performance over time.  I think it is 6 of one half, a half dozen of the other to your question.  If the execs picked a bunch of outliers who fit their system (any second round pick who meaningfully contributes is an outlier and they've had a bunch) that is not typical so maybe it speaks to the ability to mine late draft talent to fit the system in a way that doesn't happen in Atlanta and other places or maybe it is the culture and system that allows for a wider variety of people to contribute.  Don't really care which it is.  I think either way the coaching, culture, system, etc. are a significant factor.

To that I would agree.  Coaching and System makes the most difference and it's given credit to a culture.   Like BK's culture would have been Long and Interchangable.   There's nothing wrong with that overriding mantra.  It just means that when you go to draft, you know what you are looking for.   And the Coach knows what to do with it.