• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

Clingan moves his feet better defensively.  While he's not a guy I would want switching, I definitely think his movement ability is not going to be taken advantage of the way NBA teams will pull Edey away from the basket and force him to recover back to the paint.  

(3) The Gravity of Zach Edey | The Prospect Overview (noceilingsnba.com)

Limitations

Like every other player on earth, Zach Edey’s game isn’t perfect. The biggest inhibiting factor in his game is his lack of speed and the issues that stem from it. To his credit, Edey has put in a ton of work here. He’s moved better during each of his four seasons at Purdue. His stamina is through the roof for a player his size, too, as he’s logged around 30 minutes per game over the last two years. Still, he’s behind a lot of other modern centers when it comes to burst and mobility. He’ll rarely rim run or get out in transition, and his team has to accommodate him by playing at a slower pace. Teams that like to get into their offensive sets quickly may view this as a hangup. Plus, his added stamina will be further tested when he has to get up and down the court quicker due to a shorter shot clock. How many minutes he’s able to play each night remains a fair question.

This issue rears its head more on the defensive end. Despite having a high motor, he’s going to get beat down the floor. Edey will also be far from scheme versatile in ball screen coverages. He has issues with his balance and foot speed in space. When a ball handler shakes him, his length goes a long way, but he’s slow to recover. Switching will be off the table, and even showing or hedging tactics (which are less common in the NBA) will be risky. Right now, Edey operates deep in drop coverage. This still causes issues, as teams can have a lot of success with pick-and-pops. If the big man gets the ball at the top of the key, Edey takes a while to close out. If that screener can put it on the deck, he may leave Edey in the dust. Edey’s teammates will have to work to insulate him in these situations—at least until his agility improves. It may also behoove the team that drafts him to work on zone defense, which has become slightly more common in recent years. Even still, a team like the Miami Heat, who are regarded as a “zone heavy” team, have only played zone on about 9.8% of their possessions this year. The league’s best teams haven’t played much zone at all this season, which raises questions about whether such accommodations would even be worthwhile for a prospect who isn’t viewed in an elite tier.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Clingan moves his feet better defensively.  While he's not a guy I would want switching, I definitely think his movement ability is not going to be taken advantage of the way NBA teams will pull Edey away from the basket and force him to recover back to the paint.  

Clingan is a better athlete. Clingan can do some wild shit for his height. Check out his DX clips. 

Clingan is a good close out defender. That's a strong suit for him. 

Defensively. Clingan is better even with the elite mental aspect of Edey that never seems to be mentioned by those who aren't in support of Edey. 

Offensively, Edey is miles better. Even without the on ball ability that Clingan has over Edey due to fluidity, Edey is superior everywhere else outside of passing. Clingan can pass his ass off. 

I wouldn't mind Clingan as a consolidation prize. But we have Trae and I would say the same if we had James Harden or Luka Doncic, go for the best offensive big. Defense is a lot easier to figure out when you got a legit 1/2 force on offense that teams struggle to stop. 

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I think that if Quin wants to go back to doing what he did in Utah with Rudy Gobert, then Donovan Clingan is a much better fit for that.

That's accurate 

I think in theory, Edey would mesh well offensively with Trae.  I do wonder if Edey's lack of quickness to the basket in roll man situations, even though he's so damn productive in those situations, will ultimately be a hindrance to some of the things Trae likes to do.  I think defensively that combo could be a nightmare in a bad way, even Trae's improvement on that end.  

This is interesting.  Zach Edey's offensive rating is 136.9, which is second in college basketball.  Donovan Clingan has a 136.4 offensive rating.  This is 3rd in college basketball.  Edey's defensive rating is 97.8.  Clingan's is 92.5.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I think in theory, Edey would mesh well offensively with Trae.  I do wonder if Edey's lack of quickness to the basket in roll man situations, even though he's so damn productive in those situations, will ultimately be a hindrance to some of the things Trae likes to do. 

I think defensively that combo could be a nightmare in a bad way, even Trae's improvement on that end.  

His offensive pace is fine especially considering his size. It's his fluidity that's the problem. That's an on ball thing issue. Off the ball is athleticism is tremendous for his size. He also has elite body control for his size and that helps finishing against contact. His ability to draw fouls is elite due to his feel for the game. Both players have movement skills as rollers but Edey is a superior screen setter and he positions his body extremely well on finishes. 

What would he be a hindrance to Trae on offense? He's an elite helper. 

That's where I disagree. It could be a nightmare initially but he has elite feel, BBIQ, and awareness on both ends. He's also an excellent rim and paint protector. We just have to make sure we drive players into him. We can't defend them into spots as his close out speed just isn't there at all. Just like we have to adjust to OO from Capela. We have to adjust from one of them to Edey as well. 

• Moderators

We could also draft two big men with our picks and add a wing defender with one our exceptions (TPE, MLE, etc.).  If we are moving CC in the offseason, we will need 3 big men given OO's history of injuries (granting that cheap big men ala Drummond might be easier to land than a trade or FA signing of a wing defender).  

In this mock 2024 NBA Mock Draft: Kentucky's Reed Sheppard in top five, France's Zaccharie Risacher goes No. 1 - CBSSports.com for example we have:

#9 Pick - Filipowski & Missi both available

#14 Pick (Sacramento) - Clingan, Ware, Edey available (Edey is not listed as a first round pick and so would be a great candidate to trade up for pretty cheaply as well)

In this mock NBA Mock Draft 2024: Reed Sheppard, Cody Williams among latest risers (usatoday.com):

#10 Pick - Chomche, Filipowski

#19 Pick (Sacramento) - Ware, Clingan, Missi, Edey (second round pick)

ESPN has 2024 NBA mock draft: Ignite's long-term future and Matas Buzelis' rise - ESPN:

#10 - Clingan

#13 (Sacramento) - Edey (picked at #13), Missi, Ware

Just saying, this is a draft where it wouldn't shock my system if we took two shots at an impact big (at least where those bigs had contrasting strengths and weaknesses).  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

This is interesting.  Zach Edey's offensive rating is 136.9, which is second in college basketball.  Donovan Clingan has a 136.4 offensive rating.  This is 3rd in college basketball.  Edey's defensive rating is 97.8.  Clingan's is 92.5.  

You tend to leave out the injury prone issues especially with his foot and the stamina issues. 

Edey plays 10.1 more mpg and hasn't missed a game

Also Clingan is averaging 3.4 fouls a game

To Edey 2.2. 

Clingan DBPM is better at 2.7 to 0.8 for Edey.

Edey OBPM is better at 9.3 to 6.1

Both are ballers. Edey is an excellent one. Clingan is a very good one and he's younger. Edey has only been playing Basketball for 6 years. Two years in HS and 4 in college. Both players have clear upside. 

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

We could also draft two big men with our picks and add a wing defender with one our exceptions (TPE, MLE, etc.).  If we are moving CC in the offseason, we will need 3 big men given OO's history of injuries (granting that cheap big men ala Drummond might be easier to land than a trade or FA signing of a wing defender).  

In this mock 2024 NBA Mock Draft: Kentucky's Reed Sheppard in top five, France's Zaccharie Risacher goes No. 1 - CBSSports.com for example we have:

#14 Pick (Sacramento) - Clingan, Ware, Edey available (Edey is not listed as a first round pick and so would be a great candidate to trade up for pretty cheaply as well)

In this mock NBA Mock Draft 2024: Reed Sheppard, Cody Williams among latest risers (usatoday.com):

ESPN has 2024 NBA mock draft: Ignite's long-term future and Matas Buzelis' rise - ESPN:

#10 - Clingan

Just saying, this is a draft where it wouldn't shock my system if we took two shots at an impact big (at least where those bigs had contrasting strengths and weaknesses).  

We could. We really don't have a massive need if we resign Bey as a wing. 

We need another 4 but OO can play either the 5 or 4. 

Since this is a strong center class, it would work. 

If we don't trade Murray, we don't need another guard. 

It wouldn't be the worst idea to draft two centers. Especially if we like OO as a backup 4. 

Flip could play the 4 so that could work as well. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

If we don't trade Murray, we don't need another guard. 

Even if we trade Murray we still have:

Trae, 12 mpg to be filled TBD backup

Bogi, Kobe, AJ

I wouldn't put guard high on my list of needs.  (I would only go there with a big talent disparity ala Tyrese Halliburton).  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AHF said:

#10 - Clingan

Draft a big and draft a wing should be the current plan. Two bigs is too much imo. Bruno is an overqualified third big to have. Hawks strongly believe in Gueye to be a 4 at some point in their future. + i guess they will resign bey to play that role. Not really room for another big to add

14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You tend to leave out the injury prone issues especially with his foot and the stamina issues. 

Edey plays 10.1 more mpg and hasn't missed a game

Also Clingan is averaging 3.4 fouls a game

To Edey 2.2. 

Clingan DBPM is better at 2.7 to 0.8 for Edey.

Edey OBPM is better at 9.3 to 6.1

Both are ballers. Edey is an excellent one. Clingan is a very good one and he's younger. Edey has only been playing Basketball for 6 years. Two years in HS and 4 in college. Both players have clear upside. 

Actually, I haven't.  That's one of the reasons I'm not sold on Clingan either.  The other being whether he will actually be able to switch defensively and shoot from the perimeter at some point.  

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Draft a big and draft a wing should be the current plan. Two bigs is too much imo. Bruno is an overqualified third big to have. Hawks strongly believe in Gueye to be a 4 at some point in their future. + i guess they will resign bey to play that role. Not really room for another big to add

We absolutely need to be looking at versatile wings.  Hell, the biggest reason we have a losing record this year has been the lack of depth on the wing.  When Hunter went down, we were screwed.  To top it off, we had Jalen go down for a period and were screwed because he doesn't have a versatile enough back up that can play both the 3 and the 4.  

If Ryan Dunn could shoot, he'd be my guy.  

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

We absolutely need to be looking at versatile wings.  Hell, the biggest reason we have a losing record this year has been the lack of depth on the wing.  When Hunter went down, we were screwed.  To top it off, we had Jalen go down for a period and were screwed because he doesn't have a versatile enough back up that can play both the 3 and the 4.  

Dunn has an elite trait already but yeah the offense is ways to go. The guys they consider will be Matas, Furphy, and players like that. If they get high enough then Holland, Rissacher, and Cody become legit options but doubt they finish high enough

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Actually, I haven't.  That's one of the reasons I'm not sold on Clingan either.  The other being whether he will actually be able to switch defensively and shoot from the perimeter at some point.  

Those open questions are legit for Clingan. I am way more confident in Edey being a 3 pt shooter. If he can shoot that top of the center 3pt at 33% or better, he would add a lethal element to his game. One of the things JC has was that left-center 3 that was lethal for PnP. JC is really the goal for Edey in Atlanta except that he's actually a center and can use his size and feel for movement to score inside when we need an easy bucket or fouling out bigs like Embiid which would help us a lot

• Moderators
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

I don't disagree with getting a wing.  Just saying that there aren't any fully rounded big men and if we could trade both our picks this year to land something like Filipowski (who can play the 4 and 5) and Clingan and knowing one of them would emerge as a plus NBA starter then I would do it right this second.    Heck, if I could know that someone would emerge as a plus NBA starer I'd trade both picks for that guy alone right now and take the bird in the hand.

We definitely need to add wing defense one way or another.  Hunter just hasn't shown you can rely on him to stay healthy and play big minutes and we've got a hole there.

Guard is the one spot on the roster where I don't think we need to use significant assets to beef that up.  We've got an All-Star PG who has a great health history (his current injury being the biggest he has had) and we've got a vet and two promising young players at the SG spot.

I keep seeing mocks where we are taking guards and I really don't want to see us go there unless there is an absolute stud who is heads and tails above the available players at our positions of need.  I don't care that much about the 12 minutes a game where Trae is on the bench to pass on an impactful wing or big man.

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That's the issue. Outside of Risacher, every single other 3 is at least two years away. We can't get Zaccharie without a top 3 pick. Dunn shooting is horrid. He's unplayable as a wing in this league until he gets that shooting up significantly. 

A big reason why we were down is because we had guys like Wes and Garrison filling in. We need better vets and those cost money. 

Posted (edited)

Y'all have to remember, we only have Trae guaranteed for two seasons. We gotta get guys who can help us asap.

If it's not Zaccharie Risacher, there is a great chance it will take too long for a wing. 

As crazy as it sounds. I am not against Edey and Clingan being the picks. We need true centers and if one or both hit, that would change our outlook for the next 10-12 seasons. 

Edited by NBASupes