• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Here it is guys...The Deal's Done

TheDude

OK, I'll give you that, about the other teams finishing worse. So what you're saying is... at the very best, by keeping Wallace we don't get a better draft position. It means you get to watch Wallace slum it for 28 games. Maybe fun for you, not so much fun for the Hawks.

By trading him, we at least get a pick, at some point in the indefinite future! And we get to watch Wallace in the playoffs! smile.gif

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at Lebron, look at Stoudemire, look at Bosh. There is absolutely no reason to think that Howard cannot have the exact same impact as those guys his rookie season. I dont understand where you keep coming up with this "he isnt ready" stuff. He is dominating his competition right now just as those other guys did before the NBA and I have no reason to think that he wont here either.

JTFan: Ad hominem attacks! Yes! I understand that you've seen the Harry Potter movies a few too many times, but you can't always turn something worthless (Rasheed, once this season ends) into something golden (whatever mythical "more valuable" players were being offered to us, in your fantasy world.) Such magic does not exist!

I think you can argue that the 1st sheed trade was the wrong way to go. But if you accept it as a given, then this trade makes perfect sense. Either way, we were losing sheed at the end of the year and we will have the same players under contract at the end of the year with or without this new trade. This new trade has done the following:

-made our team worse for the end of this season, which helps our pick get higher

-gotten an extra pick, #18 right now, predicted to be hakim warrick as of today by nbadraft.net

The only loss is we'll be alot uglier for the end of this season.

I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Dolfan,

Out of the kids you mentioned, only one of them has been asked to lead his team in his first year.

Lebron.

The comparison of Howard to Lebron should not even be entertained. Lebron was a phenom, Howard is a good player.

But, go ahead, hinge your franchise on an untested kid with great upside. But thinking he's the next Lebron will REALLY have you sad next year.

Especially when he has ZERO to back him up.

Play.

I think Jay's said that any pick from PTL would have been lottery-protected as well.

Would have been better to get two of them, though. Oh well!

JTFan,

How do you know he didn't?

rasheed doesn't have THAT much value right now. He's got an unbelievably huge contract. He's leaving ANY team he is traded to (except NY) at the end of the year.

There is no value in trading for him, unless you need to get put over the top in a playoff push. If you are in a playoff push, you aren't trading talent.

Play.

Dolfan I have no doubt that he is ready, but the real question here is, what guarantee will it give us to be put in that position to draft him and say we do, with JT and Jax most likely gone before next season, who the heck will Howard play with, just Diaw? this will be the laughing stock of the league.

I never once have thought nor have I said he would be the next Lebron. I just said that he could have the same impact that those guys have had with their new teams. Why cant he come in and get 15ppg and 8rpg as a rookie? I dont see any reason why he couldnt do that.

I am not hinging my hopes on him turning this team around next year or anything like that......but I do fully believe that in 2-3 years he can become a superstar in this league and thats something we havent had since Nique......and sorry your boy Reef certainly isnt a superstar in this league and doesnt have the potential that Howard has to become one and is 10 years older....so this is a great move by us to try and get him. I think we are almost guaranteed to end up with him the same way that Cleveland was guaranteed Lebron......so that Stern can help to turn around a big city franchise.

I guess you would have been happy to stay with the tired old lineup that we werent going anywhere with though. I would much rather risk abmissmal failure to be great rather than to just stay mediocre at best.

Play I respect your opinions and I too love Reef's game but don't knock Howard. In all fairness Reef only played one year of college ball and he doesn't have Howard's height. I'm not saying Howard will be the man only stating that Reef's situation isn't much different than a high school kid declaring.

I still don't think Detroit is going to be representing the east in the finals with this trade just my opinion. I actually like the Hornets. But, who knows. I think it is not a given the Pistons are going to the finals.

P

Choro,

Did you just say Reef doesn't have Howard's height?

Do you even know who Howard is?

He's 6'10". Reef is, amazingly, 6'10".

Did you even read what I said ... I said the kid is not ready to run an NBA team. Neither was Reef. You are asking him to take the tag of loser. He won't be able to turn it around, and you will all turn on him.

Howard isn't quite as impressive as Reef was in HS either. Or has everyone forgot how Reef tore through the country? There was talk about Reef coming straight from HS too... but he wanted to try college.

I'm not saying Howard isn't going to be a stud, but thinking he is going to contribute and hinge the franchise on him is stupid.

Play.

Dolfan,

You said that you thought Howard could come in and have the SAME impact to this team that Lebron had to his. Which is start to right the ship. Turn it from a laughing stock to a team.

I don't see that type of ability in Howard.

Reef had FAR more potential than Howard at that age, or do you forget that easily? Further, I have not said that Howard won't be a stud, but rather that you are creating the next Reef. You are asking a young kid, who isn't ready, to lead a team and bring it out of the gutter.

That is how Reef got the moniker of loser and strayed. You think Howard is any different?

A month ago, everyone here was talking about how Howard needed college ... now he is the next best thing.

Then wallace was the greatest thing to land in the ATL airport (complete with his 5 personalities and three-point shot).

Play.

this whole scenerio sucks why didnt knight push to get a draft pick from portland in the first deal then with this one we would have atleast had 3 potential 1st round picks and 2 second round pick with those selections im sure they could have atleast put a decent team on the court, Oh i forgot about the Hawks scouting department couldnt find water at a beach