• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Some of you still don't get it.

Diesel

• Premium Member

There are three things I know about the NEW Coach:

1. He will be an established guy as big name as possible; whom the players will respect and the fans will respect.

2. He will take over before the draft.

3. He has already been pinpointed by Knight.

Out of the usual suspects, who does that leave on the short list:

1. Byron Scott.

2. Mike Fratello.

3. Nellie.

4. George Karl.

5. Del Harris.

6. Alvin Gentry.

7. Brian Hill.

8. Pat Riley.

Here's an interesting scenerio... IF Dallas fires Nellie and hires Pat Riley, we just might get Nellie.

Because of Knight's ties to Indy during the time that Scott was there and the fact that Scott can coach uptempo and has been to the finals twice, I think Scott has a strong bid for being the new coach of the Hawks.

Quote:

1. He will be an established guy as big name as possible; whom the players will respect and the fans will respect.

Lets hope this happenes and a coach that can take control of his players!!

Nellie? I don't know if that is a wise move if the Mavs fire him. I really don't want the Hawks to hire him as the head coach, and I feel there is a overall better option out there.

well let's just say those are 3 things you believe, not 3 things you know...

I agree for sure on #2. The sale has been a PR nightmare because the franchise was on pause. They're not letting us hang without a coach for too long.

I agree on #1 that they want someone that the fans can connect with. I'm not sure that it's necessarily a well established coach, although that's probable

I completely disagree with #3. I think if they already had someone, they'd sign him already. I don't think Stotts' firing indicates in any way that they have a replacement lined up, and I'm yet to read anything that tells me different.

Now let's go down your list

1. Byron Scott.

Wouldn't be my first pick but he's surely in the running. I think he's waiting to see if the laker job opens up though

2. Mike Fratello.

we all know he's a top candidate

3. Nellie.

I would be very surprised if he got fired. I would like for him to coach as long as we have some assistant who can teach our players some D too.

4. George Karl.

Hellz no. I hope they're not looking at Karl. If you look at his career, there have been problems everywhere. He is clueless when it comes to managing players and egos, and is overrated as an "x's and o's" guy. Had issues in Seattle, had issues in milwaukee, finished 6th with team USA. He always leaves teams in disarray. I would be seriously upset if we got Karl.

5. Del Harris.

He's probably in the runnning, adn I would be fine with that. He's got an established name and runs a clean program

6. Alvin Gentry.

Not sure he's an established guy with a big name. He's coached maybe 5-6 years, but the public at large doesn't know him any more than Stotts and he's only ever had one above .500 / playoff season. I'm not a big fan of the guy. He always seems apathetic and unconcerned with his team's play.

7. Brian Hill.

Hadn't really thought of him. He could be a decent fit. It depends how important it is to the owners that the coach have ATL ties. Everybody seems to think it is important, I'm not so sure. Anyhow, he's a possibility

8. Pat Riley.

There's no way Riley's leaving his role with the heat (what is he president? I forget). Anyhow, he suffered alot of years through the heat's problems and helped them get alot of young talent. He only just stepped down to let Van Gundy take over, but I think he is very attached to the franchise. He wants to do everything in his reach to succeed as an executive. I think that urge is more important to him that the urge to coach for a few years at least

I would make the list (assuming some firings)

1. Mike Fratello

2. Del Harris

3. Nellie

4. Wittman

5. Byron Scott

6. Musselman

7. Bzdelik

8. Brian Hill

.....was an assistant on Mike Fratello's staff in Atlanta, so he does have some Atlanta ties.

I really don't think Byron Scott will be on Atlanta's list. They know he's an overrated coach who is an ego maniac, and they know that they don't need a coach that has the "It's all about me" mantra.

I am curious to know how much having Atlanta ties will come into play. If it does, then that narrows the list pretty significantly.

IMO, these are the names on Billy Knight's list, in no particular order

Mike Fratello

Randy Wittman

Eric Musselman

Del Harris

Lionel Hollins

The first three have ties to Atlanta.

No one mentioned a very established coach, known to

all Atlanta Hawks fans ------

The "Winningest" coach ever!!! grin.gif

Just had to throw that in!! tongue.gif

Seriously, I believe the Hawks are pretty sure who they

want and have a pretty good idea that they have him

VERY interested in the job.

I was saddened to see Terry Stotts go / I am excited,

waiting to see who takes his place. If he's not a

good one, then I will really be upset with the firing.

So many questions right now -- So few answers.

Draft position / choices. Free agents. New coach.

New coaching staff.

Then, when we get all that done, we always have that

long west coast trip to look foreward to at the beginning

of the season.

I believe we will have a new coach VERY soon. We may be waiting for someone to turn him loose. We'll know by

the time that the playoffs are over, I'm sure.

Regardless of the fact that he isnt a great coach, he is still a coach that the big time players would want to play for. K-Mart loved playing for him, he is Kobe's hero, EC championship 2 years in a row, etc. The new owner's KNOW that they need to land Kobe this offseason because he will sell tickets, attract other FA's, get us games on TV, and bottom line he will help us win. Kobe has to be priority #1,2, and 3 this offseason for the new ownership group and if hiring Scott is what it takes, I wouldnt be surprised in the least.

I know that many people think that Eddie Jordan was the reason that Scott was able to win in NJ and that very well may be the case, however it was clearly documented that Kidd and Scott did not see eye to eye and seeing as how the Nets go as Kidd goes it wouldnt surprise me a bit to find out that he was purposely not giving his all to get the team wins early this year just so Scott would be fired. Assistant coaches can help a lot there is no doubt, but it was still Scotts team that was winning out there when they gave it their all and they were the most exciting team in the east and went from bad to great almost overnight. Thats what this team needs and a guy like Kobe and a coach like Scott are guys who can definitely accomplish that.

If its not Scott, then I am hoping for the Czar. If not him then I probably wait to see what happens with Phil Jackson or Bzdelik (sp?).

There's one I hadn't even considered ~ Jackson. Granted, it would most likely mean no Kobe, but others would want to play for him should he end his tenure in LA. I realize all the possibilities and extreme unliklihood that it'd happen ~ but it would be Phil's one and only chance to prove that he can build a team from the ground up, truly "coach" as many critics say he doesn't....unlikely.

I think it would be a bad move to hire a coach simply because one player has stated he would like to play for him.

This needs to be based upon coaching ability, and Byron Scott simply has more ego than coaching ability.

• Premium Member

I just find it very difficult to think that Kobe will come here. Yeah, it would be great but I think the chance is less than 10%.

That being said, the Hawks need to find players that will work in the their system. I believe we need a togh rebounding power forward and a playmaker. I really like Bob Sura and I hope he is resigned.

Teams that are successful have role players and I believe the new owners are interested in the type of team the old Milwaukee Bucks were with Paul Pressey, Sidney Moncrief and that bunch.

The draft is coming...........

• Premium Member

He has Atl ties.

He's in the playoffs with NJ right now and this could be the reason for the wait.

He's won as a coach in this league before.

He's a good teacher.

However, don't count out Scott. Remember, before Scott ever became a coach, like Mark Jackson, it was known that he would be a coach. In indy as an assistant, he recieved high praise from the staff there.

Knight and Khahn and Walsh Considered Scott in Indy before picking Isiah Thomas.....

In Vancouver, Scott made the short list while he was still an assistant in Sac-Town.

2000 article

Now, Scott has been to the finals 2 times. If it was his staff, so be it, a lot of people says that Tex Winters is the secret to Phil Jackson's success. However, don't be shocked if Byron comes in as coach... For no other reason than that he can coach guard play...

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think it would be a bad move to hire a coach simply because one player has stated he would like to play for him.

You know... There was somebody else who agreed with this statement. Krause. When he wouldn't rehire Phil Jackson, he allowed Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman be broken up. Jordan was very clear when he said: " If Phil Comes back, I will come back.".

So, I guess, you have somebody that agrees with you in that line of thinking KB...

However, whatever happened to the Bulls?

I'm not a big Kobe fan... In fact, I think he's overrated... However, if we could get him and Scott in here with Dwiight Howard or Josh Smith... We're looking at National media, Ticket Sales, and Wins!!! We're looking at the Hawks being the biggest it has ever been on the market since Nique was playing and winning slam dunk contests.

Seriously... here's a suggestion of what we could put on the floor next season:

Pryz/Howard/Jax/Kobe/JT.

or

Pryz/Swift/Smith/Kobe/JT.

That's what hiring a coach just for his name gets you. A coach that can't coach worth a [censored], whose team underachieves because he doesn't have a clue about coaching. Not to mention a coach that is self absorbed and wants everything to be about him.

Isiah and Byron are from the same mold. They are self absorbed, egotistical people who want everything to be about them.

Kobe Bryant likes Byron. Big deal.

Jason Kidd and Stephon Jackson hate his guts. Dikembe Mutombo really dislikes him.

Said it before, say it again....I'll only like Scott hiring if it's done in July with a combo deal that brings Kobe in. Otherwise...man, I shudder to think about how far it'd set this team back, esp. if we're the young team that needs teaching that many suspect we are.