• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would you give:

Diesel

no...to me the best thing would be trading jt and the 17 to move up OR trade jt and a 2nd for another mid-1st rounder...

i like josh smith and livingston so i don't think it would be worth it..i want to get as much value as possible out of our assets.

• Premium Member

I've had my fill of dealing away lottery picks...and the potential of a #6 and a #1 are often almost the same. What we would be doing is moving up to select a player that we think is a better fit, but not neccessarily more talented. I'd package JT/17th/Boris/2nd Rounders/future protected 1sts to move up...but not a early to mid lottery pick.

I like Dwight Howard (and Okafor) but I don't like either enough to give up JT/#6 to move up and select them. If LeBron had been available for the same deal last year, I would have been all over that deal but neither Howard or Okafor will be LeBron. I too could see packaging JT/#17/etc to move up but JT/#6 for a top 2 pick is too much.

i'd rather package jt/17 or jt/2nd rounder

HOWEVER

if we can't do either of those, then i'm fine to do #6/jt for #1/2

BECAUSE

i don't think jt will ever be a starter for a championship team

i want to rebuild without jt so we don't have to worry about compensating for him or who plays what position

and smith may go top 5, leaving us with lesser options

i like howard a little more than smith

i like howard a lot more than anyone other than smith

so if we can't trade jt/17 for better pick (best option), then i'd move up to get a 100% chance at howard rather than a 80% chance at smith

Why would Orlando want Jason Terry? He's got a long term deal and he's not a PG. They already have a selfish guy that needs 20 shots per game. That's what Terry needs, too. If Orlando gets the #1, they're going to take Okafor.

If Orlando does make a trade, you can bet the other team is going to have to take either Howard or Hill.

board. JT has his flaws but I think he could certainly be a starter for a championship team. He's just not a franchise type player.

JT could certainly start for the Lakers and do well. In fact, he would be terrific as a running mate for Kobe. He's certainly better than Derek Fisher.

I think he could have started for San Antonio and done well too. Everybody was calling Tony Parker a top 5 PG after the first 2 games against LA but once the Lakers decided to make a concerted effort to defend the pick and roll, he looked average at best. He kept mising WIDE open J's that JT would have knocked down with his eyes closed and JT is even faster than Parker with the ball.

JT is not a great player but he is a good player and he can be a part of a winning team. At this point, I'd rather have JT and Smith than Howard. If Smith moves into the top 5, then Deng or Livingston will likely drop and I like either one of them as good as Smith at this point.

All of the above being said, I could see a scenario in which I would trade JT/#6 for Howard. If we could do a deal where we didn't have to take any of JT's salary back in the deal, I could see pulling the trigger. That would allow us to go out and spend $7 million or so on a FA to replace what JT brings to the table. I just don't want to end up with Eddie Robinson in a deal with Chicago where we send JT/#6 to Chicago for Robinson/#2.

• Premium Member

...and the the popular knock on his defense. I know that pairing him against taller gaurds is the main problem, but I'm not so sure that he can't be a good or at least decent defender of guys his size. As for his offense...man, that is a guy you put next to a McGrady or Duncan and he nails the open shots. If there is anything about JT that is underrated it is his shot. My belief is that one day, he'll be put into a situation where people can really see it. Then he'll be a significant ingredient to somebody's winning formula.

For us...

I just don't know. I am SOOOO sick of trying to compensate for his size. If he were 5 inches taller, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. But the fact that we are continually addressing his needs to be productive, as well as team needs, may put us in a bind in the future. So...if we can use him to gain an additional lottery pick, then I'd go for it. If not, I say just hang on to him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Why would Orlando want Jason Terry? He's got a long term deal and he's not a PG. They already have a selfish guy that needs 20 shots per game. That's what Terry needs, too. If Orlando gets the #1, they're going to take Okafor.

First... Jason Terry does not have a long term deal. Diaw's is 2 years longer than JT's. IN other words, JT's deal has only 2 years left.

Secondly, I'm sure JT would defer to Tmac.. However, JT is a good match for Tmac in that he's young and can score and can give defenses another option to be concerned about.

Third... don't buy the farm on Orlando taking Okafur. Orlando is PF central and getting another guy who may end up injured is not on their list of things to do. They trade down, they can get the Big C that Phoenix has been eyeing...OR Josh Smith....

JT/Tmac/Smith/Gooden is scary anyway you look at it.

JT could certainly start for the Lakers and do well. In fact, he would be terrific as a running mate for Kobe. He's certainly better than Derek Fisher."

JT couldn';t start for the Spurs because of his defense.

You think Greg Pop would want such a POOR defensive player

starting for him? I SERIOUSALLY doubt it. Payton PROBABLY

would have exposed JT if JT was the Spurs PG. JT can't even

guard guys like Anthony Johnson/Tyus Edney scrub players like

this have torched JT since he's been here. I hate to think

what Cassell/Bibby/Payton would do to JT in a playoff game

that is important.

Quote:

JT/#6 for #1?

I think Orlando would do this.

It guarantees Howard.

Terry really does nothing for us, but we would need to know what type of value we would be able to get in return. I don't think I would want to see us make this trade, because I would like to see us trade Terry for a first rounder. I think we can use our other picks along with Terry to move up if we have to.

Jason Terry has to atleast land us a mid first rounder!!??

I'd look for a better deal but if we dont luck up in the lottery I guess I would offer JT and our #6 (especially if it's even lower) for the top pick.

Neither Okafor or Howard is a guaranteed future star but at least you know you got a lot, at least in my mind. Josh seems like a nice prospect but he may be taken before we get to him and I'm not even sure he's better than JR Smith who may fall to us at #17. Just like I'm not completely sure that Livingston at #6 is much better than Nelson or Telfair who we may be able to get at #17 also.

JT is a solid NBA scorer but he has his flaws. I think he could be a great off the bench sparkplug but I dont think we'll use him that way anytime soon. I'd still rather package him or something else to get a shot at Howard or Okafor though.