• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My prediction on the head coach.

KB21

I believe, in the end, the Hawks will name John MacLeod as the head coach.

My reasoning?

I don't think the assitants that will interview (Mike Brown, Dwane Casey, Mike Woodson) really want to go into this type of situation where they are taking on a massive rebuilding effort. The chances of success for the first 2-3 years of this tenure are slim to none, so I'm not so sure how interested those guys will be.

I think Del Harris is interested just to get his name back out there, but I'm not so sure he is the right fit.

That brings me to John MacLeod, who is the only coach that has openly stated that he's very interested in this job. That he thinks it is a good situation for him. Plus, his resume is quite a bit stronger than Del Harris's resume.

MacLeod will be hired as the head coach, and in four years when the players they get over the next couple of years have matured, they will put him out to pasture and bring in a young coach that can take the team to the next level.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't be so quick to crown McLeod as coach. Yes, there is need for a teacher. Yes, you want somebody who has the fire and wants the job. Mike Fratello is that.... PLUS, it's a very good P.R. Move. Mikey F. has history in Atlanta. Not to mention that I believe Nique would work well with Mikey F. Knight may be calling the shots, but I think this decision comes from the top. They give Fratello 4 years and review. By that time, Nique would have lots of experience watching Knight. By that time, it will be time to make Nique the guy for GM's spot..and Mikey F. would move up as either Pres or VP of something in the Hawks organization... Bye Bye Silent Pres Bernie Mullin.

So look for Fratello to coach the Hawks and for him to have some young assistant (possibly whitman) who he will spend the next 4 years grooming to be the next coach.... ala Nellie.

• Premium Member

That really should be the topic of this thread; what the hell is Knight thinking...who is he considering...what the #^$& is he going to do...?

Nobody knows.

I think that the Czar would provide the best PR buzz outside of an established coach (which we missed the chance to sign last summer) or Doc Rivers - and he can more than hold his own against any of them. Of the candidates out there now, none of them seem more capable than Fratello...who has quite a bit of national credibility now. Why he hasn't been hired by now by someone escapes me, but he's going to get results when he is eventually taken. He knows the game, knows the players, can deal with stars, young guys, vets... Isn't overbearing, won't let anyone walk on him... Fratello would be my choice right now...

But what is Knight thinking...that's the question.

The Hornets have hired a GM and a coach in the time that it has taken Billy Knight just to scratch his @ss. Hell, half the league has made coaching decisions and decided on the direction of their franchises since last season. We don't even have a leading candidate right now nor a list of who is being strongly considered. Why?

I think Knight is waiting until after the draft so that he has complete control over the situation...and not someone coming in planting suggestions over his head. I think Del Harris may be the lead guy right now simply because although Fratello would make a fine and popular choice, Knight might see it as more of a retread. No doubt the Czar has some strong backing through 'Nique and the local connection within the Atlanta Spirit...but I think Knight is out to prove that HE wears the pants and that he'll make the choice based on what HE thinks is best for HIS team.

In which case I think he'd go with Harris, an equally qualified, although potentially less popular, candidate.

• Premium Member

Knight is in no hurry. He won't have a coach in place until after the draft is my opinion too. It's always about control.

However, let's eliminate some candidates using common sense.

1. If Knight would have wanted an assistant, we would have kept Stotts. I think Stotts is better than many of those names that have already come up.

2. We've had our bad experience with college coaches.

3. We're probably looking for a guy that teaches first. Hubie Brown type.. so that rules out Mussleman.

What's left.

Del Harris

McLeod

Fratello.

I would not be mad with either... However, if the owners weigh in, Fratello makes the most sense.

Quote:

1. If Knight would have wanted an assistant, we would have kept Stotts. I think Stotts is better than many of those names that have already come up.

That's not necessarily the case. A point was made in the past about Knight knowing that a change needed to be made just to change the perception of the team. Keeping Terry Stotts would have pretty much signal that no changes have been made.

Based on what Jaywalker has told me, I'm not so sure Mike Fratello is even interested in the job. John MacLeod seems to be the one that really wants the job.

• Premium Member

People have been talking like Fratello wants to get back into coaching - badly; there has to be some merit to the reports because there was talk not too long ago that he was the front runner to replace Cheany in NY. And while it is possible that he doesn't want to come to our situation particularly, seeming as how it could be a tough case to take, I can't see him turning it down. There are far too few head coaching positions period - and the open positions get fewer and fewer by the month.

• Premium Member

It's known that Fratello wants to get back in coaching. He supposedly interviewed for the N.O. GM's job but he wanted a coaching gig...

He had a deal in place with Isiah for the NY job before NY took Lenny.

The Czar wants to coach again.

When we were looking for a coach after Kruger, the Czar kinda campaigned for it.

Now. with Nique in a position of some say, new ownership. Babcock gone, I can see Fratello coming...