• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Forget about K-Mart!

lush23

K-Mart is not coming to a team with 4 rookies and a bunch of nobody's. The Hawks are going to have to overpay for younger players and hope they blossom. My #1 target would Etan Thomas. I really like Thomas because he is very physical. He produced good numbers last year for his minutes and because the Wizards just took on Jamison's long-term deal they probably will let him ride if he gets a semi-large deal from the Hawks. I like Swift's athleticism but I am concerned about his basketball I.Q. He seems to just wonder around the court. Would you trade J.Terry to Seatle for V. Radmonovic who could probably play PF in the east?

I haven't seen Swift play that much, but one thing he can do is play defense. He can rebound and block shots. I also like Etan Thomas; he gets after it on the court.

I htink Mark Blount would be a good addition at C as another shot-blocker. BK will go after one or both of these guys IMO, and may even go after Okur.

"I want a gazillion dollar contract for life."

Our G.M. won't bite. He has already stated the type of

players he is looking for. Young athletic type with a

huge "Wingspan" so he can play defense. He drafted with

that in mind. He wants players with a reasonable to

high basketball I.Q. Speed is a plus.

There are free agents out there who fit that description.

I don't know that much about all these players, but I'll

betcha that whoever he signs will fit that description.

And, on top of that, the price will be reasonable.

I wouldn't put too much in the stats that Swift provides. Yes, he blocks shots. Yes, he rebounds. But you haven't seen him play. While he's looking for weakside blocks, ala Ben Wallace, he loses his man in traffic.

I still think he'd be a good pickup for the Hawks though.

I agree. I think Etan Thomas would be a very wise pick-up for th hawks. He would provide good interior defense, rebounding and shotblocking - three things the Hawks definitely need. He would be good paired with an offensive minded center like Collier or, better yet, another athletic big man like Mark Blount. Blount and Thomas would be a nice, affordable frontcourt. Add Pryz or Collier as a back-up, then maybe a veteran point guard back-up - I am thinking Damon Jones - and that will make for a good build year, with plenty of money left for '05 if needed.

He is 6'9" 256lbs. Plays for the Wizards. Solid rebounder and shotblocker, but not much of a scoring presence. In the mold of a Brian Grant/Carlos Boozer type. Doesn't have the athletic upside of a Stromile Swift, but more solid and tough defensively.

I think we should talk to K-Mart, but he should be aware that we are not his "blue light special." I think his game suffers without Kidd to get him the ball. In no way possible do we offer him anything near the max. I simply do not see him being the type of player that BK wants in our present rebuilding situation. I say pursue "eagar" guys like swift who may be the suprises next season.

Quote:

Swift's problem is that he is not "eager" enough. If he had his head on straight, was focused, more intense, whatever, he would be talked about in the same light as Kenyon.

Then the question is, if we signed him, what coach could really develop his game? The ability is there.

A good coach may be just the thing. But, these issues are ones that he still must overcome, despite being coached by Hubie and the the "Logo" looming over his shoulder.

Some guys just get it, may take a few years but the light goes on. Others it never will go on. There are so many truely talented players who never lived up to their skill/athletic abilities.

Martin you know will play hard. Stromile, you don't, that is why you need to pay a premium to get Martin. Whether he is worth the max, I do not know. I know he would be a huge addition to the Hawks - certaintly not a true franchise player - but a nice piece to the puzzle to go along with our collection of talented young swingmen.