Looking ahead: Potential coaching staff for Mike W

KB21

Larry Smith is currently on the staff. Woodson and Smith were teammates in Houston at one time, so there is a possibility that Woodson will decide to keep Smith on the staff.

John Lucas was also a teammate of Mike's in Houston. I don't know that Mike would give John a call, but John has been working a lot with Hawks' draft pick Josh Smith. Seems like a good idea to add him to the staff to continue developing Josh.

Mike Woodson was a college teammate of Randy Wittman at Indiana, and he was on Wittman's staff in Cleveland. I don't know if Wittman will consider a lateral move, though the fact that it is the Hawks could help.

Don Cheany is a very available coach at this point, and he was Mike's head coach with the LA Clippers and the Houston Rockets.

He could also choose to add any of the coaches that were on the 76ers staff while he was there. Randy Ayers and Chris Ford could be possibilities.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Mike Woodson was a college teammate of Randy Wittman at Indiana, and he was on Wittman's staff in Cleveland. I don't know if Wittman will consider a lateral move, though the fact that it is the Hawks could help.

Good input, KB. But Doc offered Wittman an assistant job w/ Boston, and his response was that the Wolves had been too kind to him for him to justify making a lateral move.