Mohammed, Kukoc, Davis for Marshall, Ostertag, 19th pick

works under REAL GM...

We are left with:

PG- Terry

SG- Johnson, Glover

SF- Marshall, Newble, Crawford

PF- Abdur-Rahim, Henderson, Smith

C- Ratliff, Ostertag

and with the #19 pick + #37 pick, try to move up...

wat u think?

would it help us?

We have to put Glover in there to make the salaries work out, which would make it:

Kukoc

Glover

Mohammed

Emanual Davis

for

Donyell Marshall

Greg Ostertag

#19 pick

We lose our security blanket in Mohammed, but get a head case backup in Ostertag (though he might respond better away from Sloan).

We lose our other main trading chips in Glover and Kukoc, but we do gain a very long SF who isn't that old (29), but can be a free agent after next year (this year is at the team's option).

Ostertag has two more years on his deal, at 7.8 and 8.7 million respectively.

Thoughts?

Trade ID: 623793

We can trade Mohammed, Henderson, Davis, and Crawford

for the same 3 (Marshall, Ostertag, and #19).

I think this is less one sided for Utah that the previous trade.

They lose Tag and a potential FA in Marshall, they get a young, inexpensive center, an expensive PF, a cheap PG/SG, and an athletic SF.

I prefer this one and will be proposing it to the RealGM Utah Affiliate as a trade in our Mock Draft...

Thoughts?

it is made clear that we are going to resign JV.......that isnt a bad trade at all. I hate losing Nazr, but to lose CC and Hendus contract its worth it. I cant stand Ostertag, but he would be better in the East and doesnt have a lot of time left on his contract as you stated.

The major part of the deal is us geting Marshall, whom I think is a very dynamic player that would fit us very well and like you said is still relatively young. Getting the 19th pick isnt bad either. Its not a major pick, but we could get lucky with that pick.

Sounds good to me if JV is brought back and we try and use that 19th pick plus Toni/picks to move up even higher.

Guest Walter

If you must include Henderson (over Kukoc) you can't then expect to exclude DG (and put CC coming off of an ACL tear, yet another injury, in his place) in my opinion.

I like the #19 pick in this draft as it could get a player I'm sure we've scouted and are high on Diaw (since we supposedly were going to draft his French teamate in Parker last year), but it's just not high enough to get one of the more established, good to great Sfs in this Sf laden draft.

I don't mind if Marshall opts out of his deal. He's getting paid more in his existing deal than he could ever hope to get in a new deal as the market is today. Were his FAcy this year he'd be one of the top FAs. Next year he will be barely average. If he opts out he's crazy. He's currently under a deal signed prior to the new CBA and to opt out means he simply won't make as much money or have as much (short-term, at least) security.

Even if Marshall were crazy enough to opt out, and we did not resign him to a cheaper (though presumably longer term) deal, the money we save would allow us to not only sign JT to a near max deal but resign DJ, should we want to meet whatever price he asks, and not hit the luxury tax. Furthermore, we could afford to sign a presumably similarly skilled, $4.5 million, mid level Ex player in the best FA class in AT LEAST four years and not hit the luxury tax. Bargains can be had during the next FA year it seems, be it Marshall having opted out of a plush deal or some other good player.

W

I really like this deal. I don't see any downside to this deal. We get Marshall and we get a big body in Ostertag that can block shots also, and we don't give up any core players. Plus we get the pick. And I am almost sure there will be a steal at that position. Or we could try and trade up.

The worst that could happen is that Marshall and Ostertag could come here and suck(not likely) and we remove both off our books in two years leaving us with a ton of cap space.

Was that he had a team option with a million dollar buyout.

Everything I have been reading indicates that on July 1, he is becoming a free agent, so either Utah opted not to pick up his option (not a bad idea considering the market, though they risk him leaving for nothing) or he bought out his option (bad, bad idea)...

So, right now, I would have to say that deal is dead, unless there was still time to pick up the option, which is unlikely and totally moot if Marshall did indeed buy out the option.

The RealGM Utah affiliate was giving the thumbs up to the Henderson/Crawford/Davis/Mohammed deal.

Reasons:

1. Getting the young center they want.

They want a young guy and wouldn't mind trading an excess position (SF) to get it, even if it meant taking on a project like Crawford.

2. Getting rid of Ostertag.

The FIRST thing he said to me when I pitched the deal was "Utah would be THRILLED to dump Ostertag".

When I asked him what the skinny was on Greg he said "head case".

That's one thing we can say about Henderson, he's overpaid, but he's no mental case and is still productive when he plays limited minutes.

If the Marshall trade falls through, we are still discussing a Henderson/Ostertag swap, with the pick....