• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Olympics opening ceremony

chillzatl

• Admin

The olympics, somehow, are always big tv earners here in the states. They were just talking about it on ESPN the other day and I was amazed to hear just how big they go over here in the states. To me, much like you i suspect, they just aren't that big of a deal because I don't get into a lot of those sports. But appearantly we're the minority here.

I think that two things need to happen: a) as much as I love seeing "minor" sports at their apex...outside of a couple of them...I only appreciate without understanding. NO one has ever explained to me exactly how cycling works, the whole team concept...this goes for swimming to, where they use people like rowdy Gaines (a terrific past swimmer, who works decently, almost, but not quite, like Bill Walton ~ aka, he's great for entertainment if you understand everything that's going on...but most don't, don't understand the strategy etc.)

b) the populace doesn't know these people. Gymnastics being the exception...you never see any major competitions on tv. They talk about Phelps and this being his breakout...but those in the swimming world know what he did at the World Championships two years ago...

simply put, during the games, not enough time is given introducing some of the background to both the athletes and their sports to truly make it exciting...it's like watching basketball and say, ok, wait, a center's role is what? a pg?

And this comes from someone who LOVES the olympics. they ahve a very, very special place in my heart...and Ican't recall the last time I actually got goosebumps watching a competition...that is, prior to tonight, watching phelps swim the 400IM (my best event, the one I decided not to compete at for the 2000 US Trials). damn med school...