• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Which teams can really compete with the LAKERS?

cyman3

Right now i can only think of 1 team - Sacramento Kings. The Kings were VERY VERY CLOSE of beating the LAKERS. 1 call could have affected the entire SERIES...

ex: Bibby getting run over by Kobe and NO FOUL...

any team that takes the lakers to 7 games is a GOOD COMPETITIVE team for the lakers.

But is there other teams out there that gives the LAKERS are hard time?

The Kings,but they don't have the guts to beat the Lakers.They

just have the best chance out of all of the teams.Dallas doesn't

have the defense and have no center to compete with Shaq.

• Premium Member

Actually, right now, the Kings are better than the Lakers. Personnell wise and that losing has had to help their experience. IF they get Marshall, it might actually be a mistake. They need to focus the offense on Webber, BigBibby, and Peja.

Also teams that are able to compete with the Lake Show:

1. Dallas. If Cuban stop tinkering and allow chemistry to work, he will note that he has a damn good team already. I mean seriously... He has Finley, Dirk, and Nash, Lafrentz. I see one more trade involving Van Exel.. .Maybe some sort of three way through NY to get Lewis. Can anyone else see Spreewell in Seattle?

I'm thinking... NVE, Bradley to NY. Spreewell, Harrington to Seattle. Lewis/filler to Dallas!

2. Portland. Not much has been said about PTL and it's chances. Seems like they always breakdown.. However: Wallace, Wells, Stoudamire, and Patterson are 4 guys who can play the game. If they listen to Mo... and One good trade for a C, PTL is right there.

3. New Jersey. Were less than ready last yr. But this yr may be different. With the development of Jefferson and KMart.. NJ will be a force. I think they should trade Van Horn. Not that he's a bad player just too much tweener. Maybe trade him to Utah for Marshall, Russell. Something like KVH, Kittles to Utah for Marshall, Russell, and Kirlenko.

4. Indy. Under a different coach, INdy would be hard to beat. Isiah is guilty of not using all his talent. However, this yr, I expect Harrington to return much better than before. Also, the addition of Miller, and Fred Jones will bring their talent to a head. IF they can trade Croshere/Tinsley for someone like... say Big Dog... They could do much damage.

The things to remember about the Lakers is that they are still a two man team with really good role players. But even with that, once you get past experience, they aren't that good. The problem will come when the role players start overvaluing themselves and asking for more than they are worth. That's when the Lakers will decline and teams like Memphis with better leadership (upfront) will come forward.

If they can continue to improve, they have the best chance to dethrone the Lakers.

I just don't think Dallas has enough of a physical presence on the inside to compete with the Lakers. LaFrentz and Nowitzki are very good players but they are simply not physical enough to do anything with Shaq. If Dallas goes out and gets some beef, they might be able to do some things.

Portland has too many headcases to ever develop the chemistry necessary to beat the Lakers. They also have a HUGE mental block against the Lakers as evidenced by the Lakers total destuction of them in the first round.

I don't think NJ is quite talented enough. BUT, I REALLY like Jefferson and I think he could become star. He has the athletcism to at least give Kobe some trouble. If he can do that, they will have a better chance but they still have no answer for The Big Aristotle.

I agree with you about Zeke's coaching but still don't know if they have enough. Artest is a very physical defender but I don't think he can shut Kobe down (he might slow him a little). Miller and O'Neal do form a pretty physical frontcourt and from a purely matchup standpoint, I like Indy's chance's against LA as good as any other team in the EC (but that's not really saying much).

SA is the only team besides SAC who I think has a chance to beat the Lakers. They have a lot of "ifs" though. Will Parker be as good as he was last year or was he a fluke? Does D Rob have anything left even if he can stay relatively healthy? Is Smitty on his last legs or can he continue to make a significant contribution? Will Bowen and particulalry Rose play with as much heart now that they both have gotten the big pay day? Can Ginobilli play in the NBA and be the guy they think he will? Can they continue to shoot lights out from 3 point land? I just don't know. I think SA and Dallas will battle for the 3rd seed in the WC.

The Lakers ARE a 2 man team with great role players but was CHI really much more than that? Rodman was one of the greatest role players of all time but he was no doubt a role player and Pippen has been exposed for what he was, Jordan's sidekick. Kukoc was a very good 6th man but he was still a role player. All it takes to win in the NBA is 2 superstars and role players. Look at UT for all those years.

not stop SHAQ but atleast somewhat control him.

1)If LaFrentz can make SHAQ play outside with his shot, i can see how they might be able to compete with the lakers. And if this team can catch on fire, they are a hard team to beat. But this will only be a game or 2 vs the LAKERS, they cant do it 4 times when it comes to the finals. They are a BIG SOLID CENTER away from competing with SHAQ.

2)Remember when PIPPEN had his way vs BRYANT? He would post him up like Bryant didnt belong in the NBA. Can he still do it (i dont think so). Age got him... if Patterson can take PIPPENS place couple years ago and do the same to KOBE, then there may be a chance...

3)NJ can not compete with SHAQ. Here and there they may be able to contain KOBE, but never SHAQ. I think Nets have the worse CENTERS in the east (or one of them). They need MUTOMBO, DUNCAN, or MOURNING to compete with SHAQ.

4)Indiana needs a new coach. Thomas just doesnt fit with this system. Consider him a bad coach or a misfit with the pacer... he doesnt belong there.

HEY DIESEL,

I think i read this or heard this somewhere- Wasnt there 1 center in the NBA who gave Shaq a somewhat harder time? He isint popular or even an ALLSTAR but did limit Shaq's offense. Was i dreaming or is this true? Was that person = JAMES?

Russell is already gone from Utah...They signed Calbert

Cheney to start at SG....

Portland isn't ever gunna do anything but complete with

themselves.....They aren't even a legit challenger.They are

a joke.